U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,670 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how California's Bay area and North Carolina's Research Triangle area rate? We may also be facing relocation, which is a shame as we are now in what I consider a mecca for people with autism: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is one of the National Centers for autism - lots of research, treatments, services, programs for all ages, and state-mandated insurance coverage.

Also, while schools that specialize in children w/ autism are crucial for many families, I am most interested in knowing about cities (particularly San Fran Bay area, NC Research Triangle area, Boston or nearby area) that have school districts that are tuned into the needs of high-functioning kids with autism who are mostly or completely mainstreamed but still require follow-through with accommodations and a conscientious IEP process. And non-school programs such as social skills, job coaching, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 6,524 times
I have the exact same question! We are thinking of relocating to the Bay Area, and have an option of returning to the Triangle area (right now in FL), so I'm interested to hear what people think of your question. I do believe that currently, NC does not have mandated insurance, and CA has a law which, if it passes, will go into effect Jan. of 2012.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,963,866 times
I'd say MA/CT/NY/NJ

High taxes pay well for that kind of stuff.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,539 times
Maryland is not a great place to live if you have a child with autism. you have to fight tooth and nail just to get decent services. In NJ we get all our services for free along with a 1 on 1 aid in the class room, and after school home therapy. also E.S.Y. during the summer.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 PM

964 posts, read 2,047,038 times
I don't know this from direct experience - I don't have autism, or a child with autism. I have a friend who moved to the NC Triangle with his son specifically for the reason, and I do recall him telling me that the medical facilities in the area - Duke and UNC - are top-notch. I got the impression that the school systems in the area might lag behind, but that depends on where you are - Chapel Hill/Carrboro's schools might be most appropriate, but you'll pay a pretty penny to live in Chapel Hill - the median home price is twice the state median.

Either way, I would say that the area should be researched, and if possible, visited.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,984,409 times
Atlanta

Marcus Autism Center

Old 04-10-2011, 01:09 PM

248 posts, read 435,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyd78 View Post
Maryland is not a great place to live if you have a child with autism. you have to fight tooth and nail just to get decent services. In NJ we get all our services for free along with a 1 on 1 aid in the class room, and after school home therapy. also E.S.Y. during the summer.

Would you mind me asking you where in NJ I should look into? I'm also from NJ, but moved out 8 yrs ago. My husband would love to move back. I hear Brick is a good area for kids with special needs. My son has high functioning autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or