U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:56 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,959,529 times

Advertisements

You know Missymom, I think you are correct, again,lol...the pattern looks similar to that of the rat snake you should, minus the shine. I was not aware that they shed their skin in the spring so that could be! Plus, he stayed very still, both times. Good to know he's harmless

That was a very informative site on the diff of a water snake/water moc..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times
Most snakes and reptiles are extremely difficult to identify at a glance. Their color is rarely diagnostic. In many species, it is necessary to make a detailed inspection, such as counting the number of scales on the lower lip.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:18 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,959,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Most snakes and reptiles are extremely difficult to identify at a glance. Their color is rarely diagnostic. In many species, it is necessary to make a detailed inspection, such as counting the number of scales on the lower lip.

rofl...you have to be kidding right?

Old 04-12-2009, 06:48 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,967,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
You know Missymom, I think you are correct, again,lol...the pattern looks similar to that of the rat snake you should, minus the shine. I was not aware that they shed their skin in the spring so that could be! Plus, he stayed very still, both times. Good to know he's harmless

That was a very informative site on the diff of a water snake/water moc..thanks
You're welcome

Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,656,429 times
Wow. He's scary.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,468,004 times
I know this post is old, but somehow I missed it. Looks like a water snake, from the Nerodia genus. Harmless species, definitely not a water moccasin (Agkistrodon genus).

Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,486,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I know this post is old, but somehow I missed it. Looks like a water snake, from the Nerodia genus. Harmless species, definitely not a water moccasin (Agkistrodon genus).
Yeah, you can tell by the head. Water moccasins are pit vipers (if I'm not mistaken), and vipers have a very distinctive shovel-shaped head. Out west, looking at the shape of the head is often the easiest way to tell a rattlesnake (also a pit viper) from a gopher snake (which is also large and has similar coloring), because when a snake is near, often times the tail is obscured by tall grass or brush.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,338 times
I don't know if I qualify as a person of knowledge but I have 40 plus years in the field and own Specialized Venom's in South Carolina and also teach herpetology but my answer to you is as follows.
Family Colubridae
Genus Nerodia
Species fasciata
Common name Banded water snake
Global ID number 202173
First discover by Linnaeus in 1776
Dorsal scale count 21 to 25
Ventral scale count 127 to 149
Sub-caudal scale count 56 to 84
General notes
This snake inhabits marsh type landscapes with a constant water source. It feeds on fish, frogs and on occasion small mammals. Its head is semi triangular distinct from the neck. The color ranges from obvious dark olive base with lighter green cross bands running the length of the body. The scales are heavily keeled giving it a rough textured appearance. The eyes are large and round situated on the sides of the head. The iris is fluorescent green and the pupils are black. Males have longer thinner tails then females, with females being longer and larger in general. Young snakes have brighter patterns and the older adults can appear to be a solid dark olive to black. The ventral side is cream to off white with black speckles on some. The farther north this snake is found, the darker the color to facilitate accelerated heat absorption.
Dangers to humans: None unless molested. This snake will bite if restrained, though NON-VENOMOUS, it has sharp pointed teeth that are long enough to pierce flesh and cause minor bleeding. Its main defensive weapon is its ability to evacuate its cloacal holdings (waste) while restrained and whipping its tail around its captor while smearing the waste material. It also has scent glands just anterior to the vent opening that exudes a foul smelling scent which is rather difficult to remove once it becomes saturated into the flesh of the captor. When on land, this snake will vibrate its tail in dry leaves imitating a rattlesnake. Other then the above stated defences, this snake does little harm when around humans.
To those who are not proficient at identifying snake species, the Banded water snake is often confused with the venomous Cottonmouth or Water moccasin and thousands are needlessly killed each year for no other reason then it looked like another snake. These snakes mate in early spring every other year and deliver live young in mid summer. Of every 20 newborns, only one will reach their first birthday, large fish, owls, hawks and other snakes are the main source of predation as are frightened humans and destruction of habitat.

Please do not allow anyone to kill this snake, I guarantee that it will not crawl into your house or attack any member of your house hold as long as you do not attack it. It will exterminate any and all rodents near the area where it lives and will run from any human that approaches it. All this snake wants is what we all want, to live in peace, have sufficient food to eat and to find a mate. If any one of these items are missing in its life, it will leave of its own accord. This snake is a female who is over five years of age, she is one of the few who made it to that age, please let her live out the rest of her natural life in peace and let her do what she was put here to do. Watch her, write down the things you see her do, study her and I bet you will come to admire her. She will also eat any dead fish or mice she comes across so if you do become an admirer of hers, leave her a few sardines, and watch her eat, its an amazing sight to see.
I wish both of you the best.
Joel T. La Rocque
Specialized Venom's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.