U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,270,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That is so true, the other day I didn't even know I was in Compton until I looked at the map on my iPod touch, I live in the hood, Southside Jamaica, Queens to be exact and I was expecting Compton to look way way worse.
Like I said in the "How Bad is Compton?" thread in the LA forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I'm in the middle here. Yes, Compton is a bad area and it has no shortage of gangbangers and general thugs living in its city limits. Also, Compton has it's more laid back areas and it's not like drive-bys and shoot outs are everyday things for anyone who lives there (not even gang members).

The truth is in the middle. You said certainly exercise caution in Compton by doing things like avoiding doing anything or wearing anything that is associated with gang membership (you don't want to be mistaken for a gang member if you look the part and you don't want to be accused to being a poser if you don't), avoid little side streets (especially dead end roads), mind your own business, and just generally be alert and aware of your surroundings. However, Compton is not Afghanistan, the Congo, or Lebanon in the 1980s. You are unlikely to be flat out murdered just passing through and although there is a chance of that happening, it is rather rare. I've passed through Compton in the mid 90s when me and my family got lost coming into LA and we spent about an hour going around in circles going through South Central Los Angeles and finally ended up asking for directions from a bunch of teenagers and young men hanging around a 7-11 parking lot in Compton. And guess what? They weren't gangbangers and one of them even drew a little map for us on a piece of cardboard for us. Now, this was about 11AM on a weekday and we wouldn't have asked them if they seemed dicey or hostile in the slightest and if it was at night we would not have approached them either, but the point remains that white people can pass through Compton and even talk to people without getting harassed, assaulted, robbed, or shot. Hell, we didn't even know we were in Compton until one of the guys said that we had balls to be driving through Compton in convertible with the top down. The area that we knew for certain that we passed through was Inglewood and we later found out that we passed through Watts as well after find out what those those strange towers that looked like a burnt out Cathedral were.

Is it an area I would like hang around? Not really. I wouldn't feel too comfortable going there at night and I would be careful with who I talk to and what I do. I also certainly wouldn't want to stay in one place in public for too long. But if I had to simply pass through, I think I could handle that.
I was actually surprised that Compton didn't look that bad. I would have expected trash and automobile parts on most of the lawns, abandoned streets, the occasional junkie or crackhead aimlessly wandering around, and other burn out signs. We almost didn't believe the guys we were talking to. It was like, "THIS is Compton?!". Some of the neighborhoods in my hometown looked a lot rougher and yet had a much lower murder rate than South Central. I mean, occupied single-family homes with palm trees and most of the people owning cars! That seems odd to me. I'm used to boarded up houses with collapsing roofs, stripped cars on the side of the road, obvious drug dealing at any place that has more than four people present, trash on the lawns, and broken glass on the street (beer bottles and windshields). It never occurred to me until that day that an area could look okay, yet have so many social problems.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:04 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,957,409 times
I've been through Newark, Irvington, East Orange, Paterson, and Camden (which are all in NJ if you didn't know already) I also been through Harlem, South Bronx, and North Philadelphia.

I wasn't scared at all in any of these place, nor did I have a problem, but it was different.
I saw a sign in Irvington saying "Please stop the neighborhood shootings"

Old 08-24-2009, 09:19 PM

167 posts, read 381,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Like I said in the "How Bad is Compton?" thread in the LA forum:

I was actually surprised that Compton didn't look that bad. I would have expected trash and automobile parts on most of the lawns, abandoned streets, the occasional junkie or crackhead aimlessly wandering around, and other burn out signs. We almost didn't believe the guys we were talking to. It was like, "THIS is Compton?!". Some of the neighborhoods in my hometown looked a lot rougher and yet had a much lower murder rate than South Central. I mean, occupied single-family homes with palm trees and most of the people owning cars! That seems odd to me. I'm used to boarded up houses with collapsing roofs, stripped cars on the side of the road, obvious drug dealing at any place that has more than four people present, trash on the lawns, and broken glass on the street (beer bottles and windshields). It never occurred to me until that day that an area could look okay, yet have so many social problems.
yep it could be tame sometimes, but when bangers come out, they come out hard and looking for trouble

Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,851,600 times
I'm white & I lived in Roxbury for seven years. I moved there with a mission - to do something positive in a suffering community and to integrate - after all we all can't just get along if we aren't even willing to live together right? Unless we integrate, we are actually turning our backs on each other, aren't we?

Anyways, one thing I thought I could do as a positive contribution not offensive to anyone was simply clean up the street trash. Mostly reaction was positive, but there was a surprising degree of contempt. Apparently whereas I wanted to integrate and give back, others perceived this as gentrifying and thus stealing. Who'da thunk?!

I involved myself in many other ways to try to help make the hood a better place and I feel good about what I did and proud that I did it. The hood as I knew it really is of course just mostly regular people who are poor - mostly single mothers trying to raise a bunch of kids on no income. Sure there were bad guys, but never once did I garner a profane word and far more got a kudos.

The most grueling thing about Roxbury was just putting up with the ugly manners. After a while, the N word is just so indigestible. It's such a banner of self-destruction. I think I pretty much felt like a battlefield medic. No where is the need greater and no where is there greater opportunity to really contribute, but after a while, I just couldn't stand the horror of the war any longer. After a while, I was just ready to escape.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 PM

220 posts, read 630,247 times
im from the ghetto. i've seen everything.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:22 PM

24 posts, read 44,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I'm white & I lived in Roxbury for seven years. I moved there with a mission - to do something positive in a suffering community and to integrate - after all we all can't just get along if we aren't even willing to live together right? Unless we integrate, we are actually turning our backs on each other, aren't we?

Anyways, one thing I thought I could do as a positive contribution not offensive to anyone was simply clean up the street trash. Mostly reaction was positive, but there was a surprising degree of contempt. Apparently whereas I wanted to integrate and give back, others perceived this as gentrifying and thus stealing. Who'da thunk?!

I involved myself in many other ways to try to help make the hood a better place and I feel good about what I did and proud that I did it. The hood as I knew it really is of course just mostly regular people who are poor - mostly single mothers trying to raise a bunch of kids on no income. Sure there were bad guys, but never once did I garner a profane word and far more got a kudos.

The most grueling thing about Roxbury was just putting up with the ugly manners. After a while, the N word is just so indigestible. It's such a banner of self-destruction. I think I pretty much felt like a battlefield medic. No where is the need greater and no where is there greater opportunity to really contribute, but after a while, I just couldn't stand the horror of the war any longer. After a while, I was just ready to escape.

America need more people like you.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM

14,957 posts, read 31,348,948 times
I'm surprised New Orleans hasn't been mentioned, parts of it are pretty bad.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 AM

2,242 posts, read 5,555,243 times
I go to K-town in Chicago once in a while for some pitbull program.

I live in Maywood... that's pretty ghetto.

Ghettos aren't that big of a deal to me.

I find it creepy when people are scared to drive through a certain area.
Too sensetive.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,881 times
man youngstown has a higher murder than all them places my girl is from cleveland i used to live there to. youngstown is rougher than cleveland it has a homicide rate almost triple of cleveland and thats a known fact look it up. I think gary indianda murder rate is higher. but youngstown makes east cleveland look like a westside story. Check it out. i wish i had pictures. and y am i bragging about this? lol

Old 09-05-2009, 05:34 PM

32,342 posts, read 55,131,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post
im from the ghetto. i've seen everything.
same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.