Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times

Advertisements

I've done some work in the south bronx, camden and newark. People kept warning me before I went into the areas that I'd get shot bla bla bla. Nobody seemed to care when I was walking through there though.
One time in Rochester I was walking in a bad neighborhood for work. A hooker kept bothering me. I kept ignoring her. She finally got mad and started to throw stuff at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Ghettoes really don't frighten me. I have driven through Liberty City in Miami at night, I have stopped and taken photos of the infamous Cabrini Green and Robert Taylor projects in Chicago, and I have been to numerous other ghettoes.

If you don't act like a fish out of water or if you have any sort of street smarts, many times you will be fine. Most of the people who live in the ghetto are hard-working , honest, law abiding citizens who happen to be poor.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:20 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
once I was going to a musical festival of hippical hop called "Rock the Bells" in a city evidently called "Nueva Hork". Anyways, myself and 100,000 other young white men from such diverse places as Westchester County, Long Island, and basically all of Connecticut were trying to find our way on this strange subtrantian train. anyways, I ended up in Haarlem on my way to Randalls Island and had to stop and get some electrolytes in the local sub-par whole foods knock off. anyways, it was FULL OF BLACK FOLKS.

needless to say i was terrified.
Genius.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I commute through a ghetto in Harlem, then go to an even worse ghetto in the south Bronx for work lol. I have my everyday trips through a bad and even worse ghetto

Last year my fiance and I went to see the Blues play in St. Louis. We were on the train and decided to go over to the Illinois side, just to say we crossed over to another state during the trip. Got to see East STL, not so pretty.

lol, when we lived in Missouri, our first trip up to STL everyone warned us "do not cross over the bridge"...and of course we accidentally ended up crossing it,lol...but, we lived to tell about it. We didn't venture to far into the other side though.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:11 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There was this small rural town I mistakenly drove into once in another part of the country.

Looked like everyone was inbred and retarted.
Oh, the irony.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:54 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,027 times
ghetto's really aren't bad anymore like they were in the 70's and 80's. i guess everyones soft now.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:13 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
If I have been to the ghetto it wasnt "accidental" In Indianapolis the ghetto is the neighborhoods immediately east of downtown to around Emerson Avenue and from 38th street down to English Avenue IMO. This side of town looks like it is a third world like country. In recent years there have been projects to tear down the old dilapadated buildings and houses with row housing and nicer buildings.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 PM

93,262 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What's interesting about my city is that the poorest neighborhood(the Near West Side) is 41% Black, 30% White, 26% Hispanic and 2% Native American as of 2000. It's also one of the poorest neighborhoods in the country, but as far as sides of town, it's not on the side of town that has the highest percentage of the crime.

Syracuse Crime by Neighborhood, 2007 - Graphics from The Post-Standard - syracuse.com

Here's more on that neihgborhood by the way:http://www.nearwestsidestory.org/

I've never had problems going through there and most people won't as long as they aren't doing something they aren't supposed to be doing.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:00 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I deliver food for FISH and like having an excuse to see different parts of town. Nobody gives me any trouble because they see those grocery bags and know why you're there. Not a good idea to mess with the FISH ladies, it might cut off the supply of grocery bags.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:50 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
I don’t take the wrong turns, the best thing about the ghettos in Detroit; there are no cops, no residents and no traffic. If I wanted too, I could blow thru stop signs going 150 M.P.H. heading towards downtown a million times a day and not get notice once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.