U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,070 posts, read 10,700,435 times
Reputation: 961

Advertisements

My 1st 22 years of life were strictly in the "ghetto", along with half the time since then. So I have many stories of my "trips" through there.

There were a few places where I or we took wrong turns and ended up in a surprisingly ghetto area. Im used to the hood so Im not necessarily scared, but being street smart Im still cautious. You never know whats going to happen when your in a hood your not familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2009, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,515 posts, read 17,672,550 times
Reputation: 2059
I live in the hood. What happens to me is sometimes I avoid a certain strip and take an alternative route, and find it filled with dudes on their block chilling and they grill the s***t out of me. The whole Bronx is like this, it's a warfare. Crime isn't higher because the NYPD is rough, but the ghetto mentality is prevalent. You have to be real street smart because anything can happen to you here.

Other time I was in Harlem walking down Lenox ave, one of the most infamous Harlem streets. I was real nervous then especially cause im not from Harlem and their residents have a reputation of not being, ehh too nice.

Finallly, I remember walking through the projects in Far Rockaway, Queens. What a terrible, terrible, neighborhood. It's not your typical NYC ghetto with tenenments and density. It looked straight out of Camden .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,230,919 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I live in the hood. What happens to me is sometimes I avoid a certain strip and take an alternative route, and find it filled with dudes on their block chilling and they grill the s***t out of me. The whole Bronx is like this, it's a warfare. Crime isn't higher because the NYPD is rough, but the ghetto mentality is prevalent. You have to be real street smart because anything can happen to you here.

Other time I was in Harlem walking down Lenox ave, one of the most infamous Harlem streets. I was real nervous then especially cause im not from Harlem and their residents have a reputation of not being, ehh too nice.

Finallly, I remember walking through the projects in Far Rockaway, Queens. What a terrible, terrible, neighborhood. It's not your typical NYC ghetto with tenenments and density. It looked straight out of Camden .

Yeah, I think Far Rockaway is one of the lesser known ghettos. The thing is, there are some very nice parts of the town and most people know FR by those nice areas along the water. Little do they know that the projects are some of the most dangerous in the city.

My fiance and I have walked through Harlem. I commute through there everyday as well. I'm usually only on 125 st though. One time he and I walked off the beaten path because we were starving. We were by Lenox ave & 122 st or so. It got a lot worse just a few blocks away. People kept asking us for money and giving us strange looks (probably because we're white). Now I know not to step too far away from 125 st.

I also dropped off resumes in different sections of Harlem when I was looking for a teaching job. No one every bothered me then. The only time I really experienced anything close to bad was when we were looking for somewhere to eat. Other than that, I get a guy complimenting me but that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,515 posts, read 17,672,550 times
Reputation: 2059
Yeah, I dont know where these people are getting the "Harlem isn't too bad" from. I walked on 125th st at 1 am in the morning and I never seen so many vagrants in my life. To make it worse I walked from Amsterdam to Lexington, almost the whole Harlem west to east. Parts of Harlem aint too bad now but Lenox ave in the 130's and 125th st (along with many other parts) are still sketchy.

Harlem was way rough back then. My father was caught in a shootout on 1st ave back when he was a taxi driver. And growing up, I was scared to go into Harlem because of all the negative things I heard about it. You dont have to dodge bullets anymore but by no means is it a safe neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 11:35 PM
 
Location: NC
2,303 posts, read 5,169,207 times
Reputation: 2343
Back when I was in college, I went on a trip to DC and Baltimore with my school. We went to a REALLY good restaurant in Baltimore, but on our way out of the city, we drove through the ghetto. It was one of the saddest and most sobering things I had seen. There were nonstop rowhouses, but on the sides facing the streets, there was lots of graffiti painted on the buildings. Lots of the graffiti actually consisted of artwork remembering people who had passed away. There were also huge heaps of trash, lots of litter elsewhere. It was like nothing I had ever seen.

I've worked in and near the ghettos of Charlotte, also, but compared to other cities, those are no joke at all. Everyone minded their business, but I did come across some scary people now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Chicago
930 posts, read 1,319,220 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, I think Far Rockaway is one of the lesser known ghettos.
It's a shame that the NYC neighborhood with the coolest name is a ghetto.

When I go to Midway, I take the Cicero bus through the Austin neighborhood in Chicago. It's not pretty. I also once thought I was a some kind of pioneer and checked out an apartment on 63rd & Ellis on the south side before hints of gentrification creeped in. Property manager showing me the apartment talked me out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,467 posts, read 8,435,132 times
Reputation: 5512
Yeah I hear what you say that you kept hearing these negatives inputs about harlem. Now in VA, when I say to people that I'm from the Bronx. they say WOW. They get so flabbergasted that I am from the Bronx. Probably is because they have seen to many movies or have heard about how the Bronx was that they still think the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah, I dont know where these people are getting the "Harlem isn't too bad" from. I walked on 125th st at 1 am in the morning and I never seen so many vagrants in my life. To make it worse I walked from Amsterdam to Lexington, almost the whole Harlem west to east. Parts of Harlem aint too bad now but Lenox ave in the 130's and 125th st (along with many other parts) are still sketchy.

Harlem was way rough back then. My father was caught in a shootout on 1st ave back when he was a taxi driver. And growing up, I was scared to go into Harlem because of all the negative things I heard about it. You dont have to dodge bullets anymore but by no means is it a safe neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2009, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Northside Of Jacksonville
3,288 posts, read 6,103,965 times
Reputation: 3375
I live in the hood, North Jacksonville. Definitely planning to relocate to another part of N.Jax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2009, 01:59 PM
 
210 posts, read 769,964 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah, I dont know where these people are getting the "Harlem isn't too bad" from. I walked on 125th st at 1 am in the morning and I never seen so many vagrants in my life. To make it worse I walked from Amsterdam to Lexington, almost the whole Harlem west to east. Parts of Harlem aint too bad now but Lenox ave in the 130's and 125th st (along with many other parts) are still sketchy.

Harlem was way rough back then. My father was caught in a shootout on 1st ave back when he was a taxi driver. And growing up, I was scared to go into Harlem because of all the negative things I heard about it. You dont have to dodge bullets anymore but by no means is it a safe neighborhood.
I have heard that harlem isn't bad at all anymore. Not saying it is not, but I heard somewhere that it is now one of the safer areas of new york and the crime rate is slightly below the national average. This is just what I have heard, not sure if it is true or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2009, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,515 posts, read 17,672,550 times
Reputation: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
I have heard that harlem isn't bad at all anymore. Not saying it is not, but I heard somewhere that it is now one of the safer areas of new york and the crime rate is slightly below the national average. This is just what I have heard, not sure if it is true or not.
Not true at all. In fact, East Harlem had the HIGHEST crime rate in NYC in 2007. That neighborhood is basically all projects. What you hear about Harlem is that parts of it are gentrifying, and that it's not as bad as it used to be. But I never heard someone say Harlem was one of NYC's safer neighborhoods, If I would have, I would have killed the person for being so stupid.

It's funny that the south Bronx gets all this negative fame when in fact the safest part of Harlem (West Harlem), is crime-wise on par with the south Bronx. So I dont get this misconception about Harlem. Maybe it's because people think Manhattan can't have any hoods, I dont know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top