U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:51 AM

2,745 posts, read 13,124,265 times

Advertisements

Everyone thinks I live in the ghetto.

I just see it as a poor neighborhood. Then again when I see some of the pics on this thread, well, yeah, it does look a lot like that. I have been here 3 years... and I guess I've become immune to it. When I visit other areas of town I am kind of shocked at the LACK of graffiti and so forth. Still, I think "ghetto" is a bit much for my 'hood.....

If you visit the CD forum for my town, then yeah, my 'hood is one of the ones that others are always warning AGAINST moving into. I think that sometimes neighborhoods get reputations that don't apply years later, but the rep is hard to shake. This area did seem to have a lot more violent crime, gang activity, etc. in the 80's, 90's, and people still think it's that way..

It's very poor, but we moved here because we couldn't afford anything else. When people heard we were buying a house here they FREAKED out. Friends and family I mean. It seems like it was all just a bunch of nonsense. There's the "good street/bad street" thing going on, where one street is awesome and there's obvious pride, then the next is boarded up and nasty. There are a LOT of people in this zip code... like 3x the average population per zip for the city. So it's crowded, and people are everywhere because many don't have cars. Most of the people here are just trying to live their lives and make ends meet.

I have made friends with neighbors, people watch out for each other here. I had a car parked out front for a year with a window that wouldn't go up. No one touched my stereo. Someone DID steal my trailer hitch though! lol

I lived in a small town in the "projects" and it was much worse than this "hood" in the city. I'm not scared here, but I guess I wasn't raised in some homogeneous sanitized way. Yes, I lived in nicer areas growing up but I explored and knew people from all over. Plus, I had to often fetch my brother when he was up to no good on the "bad" side of town. I guess I was raised with some street smarts and that helps me feel comfortable here.

I am white, and a lesbian, so talk about your "sore thumb" in this neighborhood (almost completely Hispanic, Catholic).... but no one bugs me. Okay, they do ask me for money, even when I am in my POS car, and I've responded more than once with "Hey, I LIVE here!" They give up after that. Barking up the wrong tree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 AM

4,896 posts, read 7,666,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
If east cleveland is so bad and dangerous why is it not high on the most dangerous cities of the U.S. list, where is you statstics to back up your claim.
As I understand it, East Cleveland is too small to make those lists.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 AM

3,451 posts, read 8,159,267 times
I've been through the ghettos or ghetto-like areas of many cities - New York (parts of the Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn; Harlem isn't true ghetto anymore), Newark, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Allentown, Harrisburg, Reading, Trenton, Wilmington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Phoenix, San Diego, just to name a handful, by either transit (usually rail) or car. In some cases, I actively sought to ride or drive through the ghetto; when I did so, it was always daytime. It is actually useful to know where the ghetto parts of cities are so you know where you shouldn't be going at night if you are there.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:37 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
Dropped one of my co-workers off at her house. This was in one of ATL's worse hoods, Bankhead. It was like 11 - midnight hours and I couldn't be more lost. Somehow after driving around after 10-20mins I found my way out, though.
Always seemed ironic to me that the city's worst neighborhood (Bankhead) sounds so similar to the best (Buckhead). I wonder if tourists ever end up in the wrong one when they mispronounce it for a taxi driver.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,991,204 times
East St. Louis, 1978. Family trip. Reservation made at a motel sight unseen. Didn't realize motel was in a bad part of town. Arrived there around 11:30 pm, checked in, realized "the locals" were already checking out our car in the parking lot. We left without even going in to our room, and spent the night along the side of the highway instead.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 PM

167 posts, read 381,371 times
grew up in south central so that ghetto is home to me, but my gf from the valley was totally freaking out when I took her their(she was sheltered) even though I lived on the edge of south central (near USC) and not farther south like compton

Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,114,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western87 View Post
grew up in south central so that ghetto is home to me, but my gf from the valley was totally freaking out when I took her their(she was sheltered) even though I lived on the edge of south central (near USC) and not farther south like compton
That's funny, I saw the Watts towers today, some of the houses around there are a little run down .

Old 08-23-2009, 10:16 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,876,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
As I understand it, East Cleveland is too small to make those lists.
Yeah, and they don't really report stats anymore. And haven't for a while.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,876,111 times
Some parts of LA seem REALLY nice to even though they are supposed to be dangerous.. For instance, South Central, Crenshaw, etc.. They have some amazing looking areas. You don't find areas like that in Cleveland.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,114,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Some parts of LA seem REALLY nice to even though they are supposed to be dangerous.. For instance, South Central, Crenshaw, etc.. They have some amazing looking areas. You don't find areas like that in Cleveland.
That is so true, the other day I didn't even know I was in Compton until I looked at the map on my iPod touch, I live in the hood, Southside Jamaica, Queens to be exact and I was expecting Compton to look way way worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.