Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:15 AM

34 posts, read 140,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
I guess so. We were in Orlando, trying to get to my BIL's house. I tell him what intersection I'm at, he repeats it to his room mate, who starts screaming "Get them out of there! You're going to get them killed!" yada yada yada....
It didn't look like a great neighborhood, but the people I saw didn't look threatening, either. Regardless, we made it out safely LOL.
I was told later it was "the ghetto". I think my BIL's pal is a little too sheltered. I've been to harlem, it didn't all look liek aghetto. A friend of mine lived there, I used to visit.
It was Florida, so I was legally packing and wasn't too worried, anyway.
I also have an interesting story about a journey through the ghetto of Orlando. We were staying in Orlando to go to Disney and do all the touristy stuff. Not being familar with the city we made a wrong turn and ended up in a horrible neighborhood. We would have pulled in the gas station to ask for help but the people there looked threatening. Then to top it off my friend thought she saw the Universial globe but it turned out to be some random abandonded arena in the ghetto. Luckily we stopped at a restaurant to ask for directions and it turned out we were only 5 minutes away from our hotel. I don't know what part of Orlando that was, maybe Orange Blossom Trail, Parramore, or Pine Hills because I heared those aren't the best areas to live in Orlando.

In San Diego we were walking through a neighborhood they tried to gentrify by putting the ball park there. Some homless black lady called me white *****t.

That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:35 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
There was this small rural town I mistakenly drove into once in another part of the country.

Looked like everyone was inbred and retarted.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,279 times
I grew up in the ghetto. I can tell you a million stories of things i saw on a daily basis.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, I was running in Chicago one time (I was there for a convention) and didn't really know the neighborhoods west of Rush St. I took off down W Division St and after a while found myself at the Cabrini-Green project. I ran back to the hotel in record time.

Ooooh, scary. My BIL used to repo cars in there. He went into Cabrini a few times w/o many issues.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:21 AM

117 posts, read 394,533 times
I met a friend from chicago when I was in college and his family owned a second home in south chicago that had been in the family for 100 years. We got to his house at like 10am and the neighborhoods where pretty dead. He had a 10 foot iron fence all the way around his house and there was no front door I was like wtf. Then we went down town to do the tourist thing and we went back to his house at about 11pm and there where people everywhere, at the street corners, walking up and the sidewalks hes like we dont stop at stop signs at night aorund here! we get back to his house and some of his other friends met up with us their and we sat around and grilled and drank beer for awhile then at about 2am a group of people come walking down the street breaking mailboxes and and knocking down garabage cans. It was a good experience I learned a lot.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
once I was going to a musical festival of hippical hop called "Rock the Bells" in a city evidently called "Nueva Hork". Anyways, myself and 100,000 other young white men from such diverse places as Westchester County, Long Island, and basically all of Connecticut were trying to find our way on this strange subtrantian train. anyways, I ended up in Haarlem on my way to Randalls Island and had to stop and get some electrolytes in the local sub-par whole foods knock off. anyways, it was FULL OF BLACK FOLKS.

needless to say i was terrified.
lol. Thank you... the unfortunate thing is that some people won't pick up on the sarcasm.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:57 AM

210 posts, read 845,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18montclair View Post
there was this small rural town i mistakenly drove into once in another part of the country.

Looked like everyone was inbred and retarted.
lmao

Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
A couple of months ago, we were in Shanghai (for a humanitarian conference). After we had a lunch at a nice restaurant, we headed out for the suburbs to check out the poverty. I got to tell you, it was terrible. No clean water, urine and feces everywhere, destroyed buildings, cardboard boxes, slums, and even people sleeping in the dumpster. When we left, I couldn't help but cry about how severe it was over there. It was horrible.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:18 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Besides teaching in a ghetto in the Bronx, I've walked through projects in NYC. One time was for a teaching interview in the Bronx. Got lost trying to find it and realized I was walking through a project, lol. Don't remember which one it was though. There was obviously a gang right there outside, but no one bothered me. I gave them a look as if saying "No, I don't know where I'm going, but don't even try anything" lol. Then I was walking through the Queensbridge project in western Queens the night of 4th of July. We were going to stand along the east river to see the Macy's fireworks show. The park is right beside the projects, so I was right there the whole night. The park was basically filled with people living in those projects, but it didn't really bother us. Everyone was having a pretty good time. There were hundreds of people and I only remember seeing one other white person besides my group lol. But everyone was nice enough to one another.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
I was a young thing...about 17 from a farming town in the middle of Illinois.

Being 17, I knew everything and I was all grown up. I had a car and my friend and I decided we were going to go down to St Louis and see 6-flags.

Yup, we took the wrong exit and ended up in the roughest neighborhood I'd ever seen. No windows or doors on the buildings...blah blah blah.

Luckily for us some older man gave a directions for the quickest way back to the interstate.

I also had to spend a week in the slums of Chicago for my Sociology Class in college. Saw rats bigger than my dog.no running water or toilets in some places..I knew I couldn't be doing anything with a Sociology degree after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.