Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
I have heard that harlem isn't bad at all anymore. Not saying it is not, but I heard somewhere that it is now one of the safer areas of new york and the crime rate is slightly below the national average. This is just what I have heard, not sure if it is true or not.

Nope I used to live in East Harlem until about 2 months a go and it is one of the worst neighborhoods in the city Drugs, gangs, Violence, Drug addicts occasionaly.............it is far from safest area in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:12 AM

37 posts, read 180,899 times
I live in Memphis and most of this city is ghetto so the trick is to find the areas that are nice. Even my GPS warns me.
Seriously, this city is really really bad. Full streets blocks of boarded up houses. Drug dealing in the middle of the street in full daylight while the cops just pass on by. Somebody get shot and killed everyday from gang activity. The inner city schools all has metal detectors. If you are white you really need to not take the wrong turn. You will get targeted. I have been told this by black people so please don't assume I am a racist.
Yesterday the police came to our apartment complex and handed out flyers advising us to buy a club for our car to prevent it from getting stolen.
I am moving out of here ASAP.

Last edited by TheSwede; 04-13-2009 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Nope I used to live in East Harlem until about 2 months a go and it is one of the worst neighborhoods in the city Drugs, gangs, Violence, Drug addicts occasionaly.............it is far from safest area in the city.

East Harlem seems a little bit better than central Harlem. When you cross over Park Ave going west, it seems to get significantly worse. Do you agree? I commute through there everyday, and sometimes I go to the bus stop on the other side of the tracks (on 125 st). There are huge projects right along 2nd ave, but besides that, it doesn't seem as bad as 125 st/Park ave and west.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,185 times
The National Lampoons took a wrong turn and ended up in... East St. Louis.

YouTube - National Lampoons Vacation - The Hood

Old 04-13-2009, 04:19 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,621 times
I had two ghetto experiances. The first was over ten years ago--my parents and I were picking up my uncle from the airport in Philadelphia, but we took a wrong exit on the way home and ended up in some ghettos about 10pm. It was pretty empty, but there was a lot of graffiti and broken glass on the street. My parents were worried about blowing a tire, but we were fine.

The second one was a little more scary. Last year, my friend and I went to Baltimore and parked on this little side street that looked alright in the daytime. But when we had to go back to our car about midnight, we had to walk two miles through some pretty scary looking ghetto. I told my friend to walk casually but briskly, and not to look at or talk to anyone. We were fine--the worst that happened was a 15ish kid threw a half-full can of orange soda at us, but missed. Needless to say, we were happy to get back into the car and back on the highway.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:04 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
The National Lampoons took a wrong turn and ended up in... East St. Louis.

YouTube - National Lampoons Vacation - The Hood

I love that movie, and that part

Old 04-13-2009, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,879 times
I live in the ghetto so it's normal to me.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 PM

434 posts, read 1,040,435 times
Dropped one of my co-workers off at her house. This was in one of ATL's worse hoods, Bankhead. It was like 11 - midnight hours and I couldn't be more lost. Somehow after driving around after 10-20mins I found my way out, though.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:32 AM

136 posts, read 266,889 times
Are you guys really shook when you walk through what you say is "the ghetto"?

Serious Question.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 AM

89 posts, read 449,814 times
i've lived in the hood all my life, i am still stuck in one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.