Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you believe is the most hated group in America?
Politicians 23 23.00%
Bankers and Finance/Wall Street types 17 17.00%
Idiots who bought houses they couldn't afford 11 11.00%
African Americans 15 15.00%
Jews 2 2.00%
Muslims 9 9.00%
Mexicans/Hispanics 12 12.00%
Asian Indians 0 0%
Southern White Males 11 11.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:37 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I'm guessing Little Italy?
Well, if it's NYC, it could be a neighborhood like Bensonhurst in Brooklyn or Tottenville on Staten Island too.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:22 PM

274 posts, read 197,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Is that what the Unabomber said?

That seems to jive with David Duke and the ideology of the klan too.

Guess i hit a nerve eh? Unabomber and David Duke are 2 completely different people with 2 completely different ideologies so before you make a bigger fool of yourself with stupid statements think before you speak. I also do not like your slight at me that i am a klan member, but hey if the truth hurts you that ain't my problem.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 PM

274 posts, read 197,334 times
Also i see that politicians are in the lead, what puzzles me is that if they are the most hated then why in the world do people still vote for them! Tell them no! It makes no sense.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
The Ibamaite "yes we can crowd", talk about mind numbed robots!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:12 PM

256 posts, read 750,049 times
Where are atheists? Atheists are EXTREMELY hated in the south.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Where are atheists? Atheists are EXTREMELY hated in the south.
I'm not sure. The only atheists I see that have problems are the in-your-face fundamentalist atheists that use the same tactics as the Christian Right to try to enforce their views on the masses. As long as they are live and let live, I don't really see to much of an issue. I am not atheist but most of my friends from high school and college are and don't seem to have too many issues.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
and in turn, groups all "Asians" together. There is varience between Japnese and say Vietnamese. One is known for being very good academically and the other actually has one of the highest percentages of poverty in the US. I think that is a part of the problem in that when you get that "model minority" tag, it doesn't take the concerns of Asians like the Vietnamese in terms of poverty seriously.

Also, Asians still have a higher percentage of poverty than Whites(10.2% versus 8.2% as of 2007) and while the family/household median income is higher, people don't take into account the extended family aspect of many Asian families. So, that means there are more people to work from within that Asian household, which boosts that income number.

Then, you have to take in account where Asians live. Most Asians live in cities like NYC, LA, San Fran., Honolulu, Chicago and Washington DC, among others. Do you see a common thread between those cities? They all have very high costs of living. Meaning, the income is going to be higher for those locations. So, that is another factor as to why the income level is higher for Asians.

Lastly, African immigrants actually have the highest percentage of people with college degrees. This is the case in countries like England and Canada too. So, not only does that kill myths about said group of people, but also says something about coming to a place by choice.

Here's some information to go over:Ameredia: Asian American Statistics

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/010583.html - broken link)

Black immigrants: an invisible model minority

Black Immigrant Model Minorities « Far Outliers

Asian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

African immigrants to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and just to add to this, it also says something about how selective the immigration process is when enforced.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Lastly, African immigrants actually have the highest percentage of people with college degrees. This is the case in countries like England and Canada too. So, not only does that kill myths about said group of people, but also says something about coming to a place by choice.

Here's some information to go over:Ameredia: Asian American Statistics

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/010583.html - broken link)

Black immigrants: an invisible model minority

Black Immigrant Model Minorities « Far Outliers

Asian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

African immigrants to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank someone for finally saying this. But I can't believe some people haven't figured out how ridiculous it is to compare a group that is a mere 5% of the population to much larger minority groups. Especially considering the very different ways they arrived.

Minority groups that tend to be composed of a relatively small amount of voluntary immigrants tend to have better "stats" because they are the people who have made an active decision to come to a place to better their lives. That goes for Asians, Africans, West Indians, South Asians, Arabs, etc.

Now when you start to get large amounts of these groups with varying motivations to come, then the rosy image suddenly starts to fog up. For example, in Britain or Australia you wouldn't see near the same impression fo Asians that you do here. Just like in France or Britain you wouldn't see the same impression of African immigrants that we have here. While in Germany or Australia the impression they have of African-Americans is far different than the one here. I could go on forever about this but I think my point is well expounded on.

If Asians were as large a minority group as Blacks or Hispanics, they would retain a lot more of their culture rather than assimilating and would pose far more of a threat to everyone else. Then you'd see a stark change in the way they were viewed.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Thank someone for finally saying this. But I can't believe some people haven't figured out how ridiculous it is to compare a group that is a mere 5% of the population to much larger minority groups. Especially considering the very different ways they arrived.

Minority groups that tend to be composed of a relatively small amount of voluntary immigrants tend to have better "stats" because they are the people who have made an active decision to come to a place to better their lives. That goes for Asians, Africans, West Indians, South Asians, Arabs, etc.

Now when you start to get large amounts of these groups with varying motivations to come, then the rosy image suddenly starts to fog up. For example, in Britain or Australia you wouldn't see near the same impression fo Asians that you do here. Just like in France or Britain you wouldn't see the same impression of African immigrants that we have here. While in Germany or Australia the impression they have of African-Americans is far different than the one here. I could go on forever about this but I think my point is well expounded on.

If Asians were as large a minority group as Blacks or Hispanics, they would retain a lot more of their culture rather than assimilating and would pose far more of a threat to everyone else. Then you'd see a stark change in the way they were viewed.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, in Canada, Blacks are more assimilated than Asians. A part of that could be the fact that the Blacks in Canada generally either are the descendants of African-Americans that came as Loyalists to the Maritimes and SW Ontario after the Revolutionary War and War of 1812, African-Americans that came to the provinces like Saskatchewan and Alberta from the Great Plains states around 1911 to escape the social conditions, many came as Pullman Porters from the uS and the Caribbean, some came from the caribbean to work in Steel Mills in Nova Scotia and Ontario and after 1965 or so, most of the Black immigration came from the Caribbean and later from Africa(mainly countries like Nigeria and Ghana). So, all of those waves of Blacks were already conscious of Anglo society due to historical reasons.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:33 AM

306 posts, read 475,902 times
Let us remember that Barack Obama almost lost the election just because his middle name was Muslim and there where rumors flying around about him being Muslim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City