U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 AM

18 posts, read 29,024 times

Advertisements

washington - might just be too far south for me is 3-4 hours drive from NY and then more to boston. iwll look into it though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,951,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Could some of you please stop fighting over this poor man in a never-ending tug-of-war game? This decision is ultimately his to make. If he chooses Long Island, then Rachael shouldn't be beating her chest. Likewise for JMT if he decides on Chattanooga, Tennessee. The United States is a very massive and beautiful nation, and no matter where he settles down he and his better half sound like the types I'd personally like to have as fellow citizens!

ckhthankgod recommended Syracuse, and it fits all of your criteria except for the climate issue as winters in Central Upstate New York are especially brutal. I believe either Syracuse, NY, Rome, NY, or Marquette, Michigan are tied for being the snowiest city, on average, in the Continental U.S. Winter wind chills can be brutal here in interior Pennsylvania, so I would only presume that, on average, temperatures are going to be five degrees cooler in Syracuse (See, she was spot-on otherwise, but this is what she didn't tell you!) LOL! If you can stomach frigid winters that typically range from mid-November through early-April, then Syracuse is a good fit.

Otherwise one place I would recommend would be Portsmouth, New Hampshire. It is situated not far north of Boston for flights in and out of Logan International Airport, and I know the North Shore area of Massachusetts (not far south of Portsmouth, New Hampshire) has a relatively large concentration of Irish-Americans. You'd be right on the Atlantic, and even though you'd be further northeast than Syracuse the winters are easier to stomach because usually the warmer air blowing off the ocean keeps temperatures just warm enough for a rain/snow mix in many storms in Portsmouth whereas the interior location of Syracuse makes it favorable for colder air and snow. I believe member Verseau posted some gorgeous photos on this forum at one point of Portsmouth, and I'll check later to see if I can find them for you. People in Northern New England seem to "keep to themselves," but by and large many Americans are also awestruck by people with accents and should welcome you with open arms.

Another suggestion would be either Chattanooga, Tennessee or Rome, Georgia. Both of these locations are within your ideal 90-minute drive to Atlanta for Hartsfield International Airport. Winters are pretty moderate, although I'm pretty sure each city gets about one snow storm per season. Both are located near to the Great Smoky Mountains, and as JMT said there are plenty of larger lakes in Northern Georgia and Eastern Tennessee. Unfortunately I don't think there's large concentrations of Irish-Americans in either of these cities (JMT can once again correct me if I'm mistaken). The cost-of-living in both cities is dirt cheap. I think Rome is a college city, so it would presumably be more socially liberal than Chattanooga.

I'm also going to toot my own horn here for my hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania. On a per capita basis we have the 2nd-largest annual St. Patrick's Day Parade, and approximately 1/3 of our residents are derived from Irish ancestry. We are two hours from either New York City or Philadelphia (a bit longer than your ideal 90 minutes), and we are about 2.5 hours from the New Jersey shoreline. We're in the foothills of the Pocono Mountains, and Lake Wallenpaupack would most certainly fit your water recreational needs. Once again the climate may be a deal-breaker because while we're milder than Syracuse, New York we're also still chillier, on average, than NYC or even Boston due to our interior location and higher elevation. When Nor'easters come charging up the coast the major cities like NYC, Boston, and the aforementioned Portsmouth, NH tend to get a sloppy snow/sleet/rain mixture while those of us about 100 miles inland get some appreciable snow fall amounts. Without a doubt we're a skier's paradise, but these winters here are just a bit TOO long for me. By next weekend we'll finally have Spring-like weather, but I don't enjoy shivering from November on through mid-April. If the winters here were two weeks shorter on each end of the season I'd be a happy camper.

In any event, best of luck to you both!
ROFL, I was just reading through this post and thinking the EXACT same thing when I stumbled upon this...I could just picture the poor op getting pulled in half by these 2 arguing over which is better,lol....

Old 04-14-2009, 07:58 AM

I must assure you all I am still intact - not torn into 2 yet am wathching and reading with interest so keep the advice coming!!!!

Cheers

Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcom2005 View Post
I must assure you all I am still intact - not torn into 2 yet am wathching and reading with interest so keep the advice coming!!!!

Cheers
LOL, that's good to know

Old 04-14-2009, 08:03 AM

Sorry may I just add one other thing - I have gone back through a lot of the suggestions and spent a while reading up on them. I think we're looking for a decent sized city though, think NYC would be too big but maybe somewhere like Providence might be too small. I think size wise Boston (or the surrounding areas) might be ok for us. The idea of living in Cambridge or somewhere 10 mins from the centre of a town with a good selection of pubs / clubs / food / sports / people to meet etc might appeal to us.

But keep the suggestions coming, we're reading and reseaching them all!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:22 AM

56,593 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Sorry may I just add one other thing - I have gone back through a lot of the suggestions and spent a while reading up on them. I think we're looking for a decent sized city though, think NYC would be too big but maybe somewhere like Providence might be too small. I think size wise Boston (or the surrounding areas) might be ok for us. The idea of living in Cambridge or somewhere 10 mins from the centre of a town with a good selection of pubs / clubs / food / sports / people to meet etc might appeal to us.

But keep the suggestions coming, we're reading and reseaching them all!!!
Actually, cities like Hartford and Providence have metro areas that are over 1 million people. By the way, you might like to look at this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...an_communities

Old 04-14-2009, 11:27 AM

does anyone have the link to that test that will tell you the best city for you? maybe the op would find that helpful.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:26 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,048,295 times
What test? There are a number of different tests like that.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,048,295 times
Quote:
washington - might just be too far south for me is 3-4 hours drive from NY and then more to boston. iwll look into it though!
Didn't you say you had a lot of clients near Washington, DC (as well as NYC and Boston)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or