U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,733,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairobi View Post
gimme his number and i will.

(434) 776-4688

Last edited by aries4118; 05-27-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 PM

8,509 posts, read 10,744,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
(434) 776-4688
This guy! I wonder if "Nairobi" will actually call that number thinking he is actually going to talk to Joel Kinnaman. Even if he did, I'm pretty sure Joel Kinnaman would be more than delighted to have a random stranger callling his personal number just to talk to him about what kind of Texas accent he was using a TV show he plays on. lol.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 05-27-2012 at 10:17 PM..

Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 PM

8,931 posts, read 12,090,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
This guy! I wonder if "Nairobi" will actually call that number thinking he is actually going to talk to Joel Kinnaman. Even if he did, I'm pretty sure Joel Kinnaman would be more than delighted to have a random stranger callling his personal number just to talk to him about what kind of Texas accent he was using a TV show he plays on. lol.
Yes, because I am just that big of a fool.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,733,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 AM

7,897 posts, read 6,475,130 times
The Baltimore accent is just strange; its not like philly or NYC, but not like Richmond or the tidewater area. I don't think the Baltimore accent is that old since there were very few blacks in Baltimore before the great migration. I'm 27 and my parents were the first generation to be born and raised in Baltimore. None of my grandparents are from here....3 were born in NC, one in VA.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 AM

24,683 posts, read 46,704,219 times
I travelled from LA to Boston over a period of three weeks, and did notice regional variations. My LA sample wasn't representative, nor did I get to talk to any AA's for a long time, but those I did (asking a couple for directions, for instance) didn't seem to have strong stereotypical AA accents. They looked like professionals or worked office jobs, though, and they were at subway stations around Hollywood and Downtown, not somewhere like Willowbrook.

I noticed the AA's in Tennessee had VERY strong southern accents. Just a general southern sounding accent, at least to my non-American ears. The way they said 'way', for instance, was very 'hillbilly'. New Orleans blacks did have a bit of the Southern LA accent. In New York, again less drawly. As for black people it seemed I encountered more Jamaicans than African Americans in Boston.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:03 AM

7,237 posts, read 11,131,354 times
A lot of Detroit's and Chicago's blacks have adopted the Yooper or ""Northern Cities Vowel Shift" accent, since a lot of them a 2nd to 4th generation.

A lot of New York's/New Jersey's blacks have adopt the Brooklyn/Jersey accent (LL Cool J and Mike Tyson for examples).

Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,627,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I travelled from LA to Boston over a period of three weeks, and did notice regional variations. My LA sample wasn't representative, nor did I get to talk to any AA's for a long time, but those I did (asking a couple for directions, for instance) didn't seem to have strong stereotypical AA accents. They looked like professionals or worked office jobs, though, and they were at subway stations around Hollywood and Downtown, not somewhere like Willowbrook.

I noticed the AA's in Tennessee had VERY strong southern accents. Just a general southern sounding accent, at least to my non-American ears. The way they said 'way', for instance, was very 'hillbilly'. New Orleans blacks did have a bit of the Southern LA accent. In New York, again less drawly. As for black people it seemed I encountered more Jamaicans than African Americans in Boston.
The typical AA accent is a bit more diluted here.There's the urban accent which sounds like Oakland AA's, and a few who speak with Valley Girl inflections or a Hispanic influence.

Here's the Urban LA AA accent.

Arbor black Feat. Inglewood Monster whats the difference official video - YouTube

Proper AA accent

USC Nike Camp interview with Inglewood WR Derrick Woods - YouTube

Another proper AA accent. Slight Hispanic influnce. Think sounds like Theenk. Thing sounds like theeng instead of thang spoken by most AAs in the country.

The Cougar Opinion: Crenshaw High School - YouTube

Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,627,869 times
I love the New Orleans accent. Homegirl is a good example. Kinda like a Southern mixed with a Caribbean type accent.

New Orleans is what i speak - YouTube

Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,585,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I love the New Orleans accent. Homegirl is a good example. Kinda like a Southern mixed with a Caribbean type accent.

New Orleans is what i speak - YouTube
I really love the Yat accent! One of my most favorite SE LA accents/dialects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or