U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings towards "the suburbs?"
I hate them very much. I hate almost everything about them. 26 16.35%
I don't care for them, but thats just my personality. No biggie. 65 40.88%
I like them. 44 27.67%
I love them, and could never live in a rural/urban area. 10 6.29%
Other. 14 8.81%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I despise suburbs. Everything about them makes me sick! The cookie-cutter houses, the traffic-choked streets, the gated communities, the "fakeness," the stupidly-named subdivisions. Give me a small town anyday! Even a big city would be better than the burbs.
You do realize that MANY suburbs are just that - small towns that have been engulfed by the city. The small town is still there, but it becomes surrounded by the newer subdivisions...and you can live in the older part of that small town and NOT live in a subdivision.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 04-22-2009 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,092,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
The ones I hate or dispise are the ones I grew up in. The exurban development 30 miles from the city, and 10 miles from the nearest real suburb for groceries, movies, or practically anything. There is no logic in these sprawling un-environmental subdivisions. The people create them to be out with the dear, but put half an acre lots next too each other and make a very ugly looking neighborhood worse then where they came from. They add traffic, create higher taxes to build larger roads for their subdivisions, have no public transportation, and everything else about them is just horrible. The one I grew up in didn't even have sidewalks, and there was nowhere to go without a car. All sense of a community or town is lost in these crappy subdivision. I would rather live in Hell then live in one of those.

My parents always say, "When you have kids you will live in a subdivision". Trust me, If I ever had kids I would never put them through the torture of being raised in an exurban subdivision. Maybe a 1920s street car suburb, not even a 1950s more sprawly suburb that still has amenities (like Monroeville), but never never never a 1990s sprawly exurban development.
Your childhood seems identical to mine, except mine took place in the futhest reaches of Houston. While I knew a number of people throughout my childhood, many of the residents of the place were transients, moving from house to house and city to city. There was no sense of permanence there. There was no sense of community. The opposite is true of where I currently live. I'm now one of the infamous "inner-looper" Houstonians and recently a friend passed in a particularly tragic manner. The outpouring of community support for her and her family from the neighborhood and the business owners in the community was nothing short of extraordinary, and typical of what might be expected from some place like Mayberry. This would never have happened in the plastic contrived community of my childhood. There was no sense of connectedness between any neighbors there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
hate them... put me out in the country with a longer commute to the city, or, directly in the city and I can commute out in the country...
Same reason I don't like most cities in the 100k-300k msa range as they just feel like the burbs.
Suburbs don't give satisfaction of being away from it all out in nature, and they don't give the satisfaction of big city vibrancy or amenities either.
Agreed. Give me the country or give me the city. Don't fence me in somewhere in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
You need a good school system to attract the masses.
You need the perception of good school systems to attract the masses. Most school systems in the 'burbs aren't as good and have half the cultural amenities and access to educational tools that their urban (non-ghetto) counterparts have. But, the perception makes the reality for the homebuyers who choose to raise their children in a bland dystopia simply because the schools have high standardized test scores.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:35 PM

321 posts, read 1,019,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Interesting...I had heard from foreigners that suburbs mean something completely different in other countries. What exactly are they over there?
I guess pretty much the same thing as in the US. They are smaller residential communities lying next to a often- big city.
Here is a quick satellite picture of Gothenburg where I've pointed out the nearest suburbs of Gothenburg, and I also pointed out a typical Swedish sprawl area I found on the picture.
It's not the nicest pic I've ever posted hehe...

In my opinion I think an example of a suburb that makes gothenburg reputation worse would be Bergsjön. After what I've read about that place in the newspaper I don't think I would like to live there. I read a lot about people shooting with guns at night last year and I think a lot of people has got seriously hurt or killed in that area the past three years.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:10 PM

214 posts, read 921,426 times
I generally dislike the suburbs but there are a few that I wouldn't mind living in... Bethesda, MD and Arlington, VA... both "suburbs" of DC but may be considered to have dense urban centers even compared to other "cities" around the US.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 PM

493 posts, read 523,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
What is the general feeling you have about "the suburbs?"
In a word: Boring.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,429,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You do realize that MANY suburbs are just that - small towns that have been engulfed by the city. The small town is still there, but it becomes surrounded by the newer subdivisions...and you can live in the older part of that small town and NOT live in a subdivision.
Yes, but why would you live in the ugly sprawl that chokes the small town in the first place? I can tack together a better house made of sheetmetal than most of those cheap square boxes. Give me a turn-of-the-century craftsman house anyday!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:45 PM

133 posts, read 457,765 times
Suburbs are great. Let all the morons (who are not city natives) move into the city only to leave a few years later, heavily in debt and with a laundry list of personal issues. The suburbs are great, every house is the same and every lawn is neatly mowed. I swear I don't understand how anyone could hate that image. (Don't even bother trying to explain).

Old 07-01-2009, 01:56 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Yes, but why would you live in the ugly sprawl that chokes the small town in the first place? I can tack together a better house made of sheetmetal than most of those cheap square boxes. Give me a turn-of-the-century craftsman house anyday!!!
It's obvious that you assume to know ALL about suburbs and the cheap square boxes in them. There is no way that suburban areas would have exploded in population over the years if all of these negative perceptions were actually true. People don't flock to ugly, boring places to live in a cheap square box...

Old 07-03-2009, 12:44 AM

4,625 posts, read 8,852,937 times
Essentially to me I say the burbs are boring but safe.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:18 AM

13,732 posts, read 9,841,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Give me the country or give me the city. Don't fence me in somewhere in between.
As fuel costs escalate, folks will consolidate into new patterns that minimize consumption and maximize prosperity.

Frankly, gasoline dependent lifestyles will become endangered and may go extinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or