U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings towards "the suburbs?"
I hate them very much. I hate almost everything about them. 26 16.35%
I don't care for them, but thats just my personality. No biggie. 65 40.88%
I like them. 44 27.67%
I love them, and could never live in a rural/urban area. 10 6.29%
Other. 14 8.81%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:45 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I had a customer in Jamaica, Queens a few months ago who told me she and her young family were going to buy a really nice house (5,000 square feet) in the Atlanta area after just selling her house in Queens. We here on CD make fun of the McMansions but you should have seen how happy this lady was - its her dream house come true.
Where was her house located - which suburb? I know, a lot of people are actually confused about the difference in a mcmansion and an actual mansion. I've seen silly online comments making fun of half-million to million dollar homes that most of us would give a kidney to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 01:38 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,447,836 times
I like suburbs... in the sense that they represent people living however the heck they choose to live. A lot of people on here have an idealized vision of how people should live to make the most efficient use of resources and time, but I like having the freedom to waste/conserve resources as I wish.

Would I want to live in the suburbs? No. That would be my third preference for a living situation, behind 1) rural and 2) urban. To me, the suburbs include most of the negatives of city living (traffic, close neighbors, lack of space) without any of the positives (walkability, entertainment, "character").

Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Where was her house located - which suburb? I know, a lot of people are actually confused about the difference in a mcmansion and an actual mansion. I've seen silly online comments making fun of half-million to million dollar homes that most of us would give a kidney to live in.
Sorry Deacon, I was out for most of the day. I do not know where she was going - just to the Atlanta area. South Queens is home to many middle class blacks and I often hear about Georgia (not just Atlanta) in very favorable terms. Other southern states I hear postive things about also, especially BOTH Carolinas and the Orlando area of Florida.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Quote:
Sorry Deacon, I was out for most of the day. I do not know where she was going - just to the Atlanta area. South Queens is home to many middle class blacks and I often hear about Georgia (not just Atlanta) in very favorable terms. Other southern states I hear postive things about also, especially BOTH Carolinas and the Orlando area of Florida.

Some kids i've taught in the Bronx (in a very poor neighborhood) moved from FL to the Bronx. One parent said there was more crime in Orlando than the south Bronx and moved there for a better life. My student's brother was shot in Orlando, a big reason why they moved.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,651,057 times
It depends. Walkable suburbs (sidewalks, no huge four to six lane roads making it impossible to walk across, public transit) are my favorite type of living environment and I'll likely move to one in the future. The types of suburbs that aren't walkable I definitely hate. Suburbs that completely clear out forests and leave nothing in its wake don't fit well with me either.

These are my main issues; I don't care whether or not the houses are cookie cutter.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Talking Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Some kids i've taught in the Bronx (in a very poor neighborhood) moved from FL to the Bronx. One parent said there was more crime in Orlando than the south Bronx and moved there for a better life. My student's brother was shot in Orlando, a big reason why they moved.
That parent should have his/her head examined then! Maybe parts of Orlando are bad - but the parent's solution, with a whole country to choose from, is to move to one of the poorer neighborhoods in The South Bronx?!? In any case I said the Orlando area (suburbs) not Orlando itself.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Quote:
That parent should have his/her head examined then! Maybe parts of Orlando are bad - but the parent's solution, with a whole country to choose from, is to move to one of the poorer neighborhoods in The South Bronx?!? In any case I said the Orlando area (suburbs) not Orlando itself.

Yeah, I think to myself, "you aren't really improving your life by moving there" lol. But apparently they're comparable at least.

Anyway, sorry for getting off-optic.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:21 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,827,645 times
I like the suburbs. I mean I'd rather live in the downtown section or the most vibrant section of a big city, but I think the suburbs are nice too. And not all suburbs are cookie cutter either, some are actually very nice and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from the cities they are right by.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,119,653 times
I love them. That's partially why I moved to the Phoenix area. You can have all of the amenities that you have in big city without having people on top of you and violating your personal space. I don't care for striking up conversations with my neighbors, or random people on the street or on the subway. I also don't care for the smells and congestion you have in most cities.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:50 PM

930 posts, read 1,319,451 times
I understand people's desire to live in the burbs...it's much easier to raise kids, more space, etc. The problem I have with the burbs is how much resources they take to provide good infrastructure to relatively few people.

Example: IL recently paid $185 million to extend a commuter train line to Elbur, IL on the fringe of the suburbs. The weekly ridership on this part of the line is somewhere around 2 grand. I think Boston has a similar situation where they spent a lot of money to extend their green line for a relatively small ridership bump.

Another example: Metra, our suburban rail system has 20% of the region's ridership but gets 30% of the funding. CTA has 80% of the rides regionwide but only gets 60% of the funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or