U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What are your feelings towards "the suburbs?"
I hate them very much. I hate almost everything about them. 26 16.35%
I don't care for them, but thats just my personality. No biggie. 65 40.88%
I like them. 44 27.67%
I love them, and could never live in a rural/urban area. 10 6.29%
Other. 14 8.81%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 AM

12,395 posts, read 14,047,819 times
hate them... put me out in the country with a longer commute to the city, or, directly in the city and I can commute out in the country...
Same reason I don't like most cities in the 100k-300k msa range as they just feel like the burbs.
Suburbs don't give satisfaction of being away from it all out in nature, and they don't give the satisfaction of big city vibrancy or amenities either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 AM

5,231 posts, read 9,245,151 times
City/suburb are somewhat artificial constructs. Many people who live in post-WWI neighborhoods are techhnically city dwellers because the central city's limits include their neighborhood. They may be just as auto-dependent as their "suburban" counterparts, and have no sidewalks on their streets and little or no transit service, but they are technically city dwellers themselves.

Conversely, many "suburbanites" could be considered urban dwellers because their neighborhoods have sidewalks, convenient transit, small lots (or dense apartments), even though they are outside the "city" limits of the central city.

Examples of the former can be found not just in the Sunbelt cities (Houston, Miami, etc) but in Northern cities such as Milwaukee (far northwest side) and Detroit (northwest side). Examples of the latter include such suburbs as East Orange, NJ, Daly City, CA, Shorewood, WI and Chelsea, MA.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM

583 posts, read 792,817 times
I am not going to talk about 'bad' suburbs, there have been enough postings on that one. No need to repeat what's been said many times over.

There are some suburbs that I really like and could see myself living there, but I would only move there if I have kids school age, because I prefer living in the city.

What I noticed is that all the 'good' suburbs with great amenities, public transportation and proximity to the city are extremely expensive when it comes to houses that are located in the walking distance to such amenities. The prices of 'strategically placed' houses in the suburbs are the same as their counterparts in the good areas of the city. If you want something more affordable in the suburb that's close to amenities (within 1 mile) then you must as well settle for a townhouse or a condo (same thing as you would in the city). So, cost-wise (unless you are renting), if you want truly urban lifestyle in a suburb you would pay as much as living in the city. Maybe in some situations you can score yourself a slightly bigger house and definitely bigger condo, but that's not always true. So, the only reason I find to move there is because of the school district.

In order to take advantage of the cheaper priced square footage you have to look into the more residential suburban areas where you will heavily rely on your car as you will be at least a mile or two away from any amenities. These places aren't 'disgusting' in my opinion just because they are more residential, they are still well enough connected and many of them still have character (different style of homes, different lots) tons of trees. It's just not something I prefer, but most people find this type of housing extremely desirable as they get more for what they pay, more backyard space, more privacy, and are still within a very short car ride to the major amenities and even the city.

Many areas within the city limits have distinctly suburban feel and aren't really walking distance to the amenities either, these areas tend to be priced cheaper than the more central city areas, but to me they are not really much different from the suburbs. If the suburban area provides good public school district I would choose to move to the suburbs rather than living in a deeply residential area of the city where I have to pay for the private schools and still have to drive everywhere.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:59 PM

867 posts, read 1,641,919 times
Default The new Queens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I love the NYC suburbs. Close enough to the city, more urban than most suburbs around the country, so you still have that slight urban feel. I'm moving to Nassau county on Long Island, which everyone says is the new Queens. You get to have a decent sized hard and house, but also a quick train ride to midtown with many buses and trains around.
As luck would have it, Nassau County is also the old Queens: when Queens County joined up with New York City in 1898, its three eastern towns--Hempstead, No. Hempstead, and Oyster Bay--broke away to form Nassau county on grounds that those towns would never be urbanized and shouldn't be part of the greater city. Now they're almost as urban as the towns that remained in Queens: Flushing, Newtown, and Jamaica.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:13 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,253,006 times
^I know. Years ago, Nassau county had the option of joining NYC, but opted out. But nowadays, central/southern Nassau isn't all that different than Queens.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:15 AM

305 posts, read 132,147 times
I think mostly everyone likes the first ring suburbs.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:50 AM

38,741 posts, read 36,442,720 times
Since I'm retired, I can live wherever I want, and I would never even dream of living in the suburbs. If I can live in the city center, I'd want to be well away in a small self-standing town.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:12 PM

3,278 posts, read 3,015,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
I think mostly everyone likes the first ring suburbs.
I, personally, don't necessarily like them. I find them relatively tolerable and can understand why they exist.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM

1,578 posts, read 3,625,902 times
If there diverse i think they're alright, but if it's like a majority one race town i'm not a fan.

I wouldn't live in a suburb if it wasn't for my daughter. I would move to Jersey City if i could afford a private school but it's just not happening.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,321,714 times
Old suburbs or towns that were once standing all on their own until the cities grew out to them are great. New Suburbs i don't care for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.