U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:09 PM

669 posts, read 2,944,858 times

Advertisements

Well, if we drop the warm part, are there any beaches with fairly low prices (and cooler climates?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 07:19 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,336,711 times
I think on any beach you are going to see high prices. At this point, I would love to move to Charleston, but that is too much money.

But if you are looking in New England, well, then, I know New England, and I can say that hand's down, Provincetown, Massachusetts and Ogunquit, Maine are VERY gay friendly. They are also incredibly beautiful. Ogunquit, though, is something else. Picture waves slamming against the rocks, lobster boats pulling in, incredible theater...

I saw Gloria Swanson at the community theater when I was a small child. She was the mistress of Joe Kennedy, the father of Jack, Bobby, et. al.

If I could do it...if I was single and just starting out, well, I would go to P-Town, Ogunquit, or Charleston. Savannah, too. I just have a small child and can barely survive in Knoxville. But I can live through you, right?

Old 04-01-2007, 01:36 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,015,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
If you live by the beach, you will not have snow. You will not find an apartment for under $1250 by the beach so you will have to drive. Most cities have pockets of gay areas but it isn't the norm for any city (with the exception of San Francisco). You will not find ANYTHING in San Francisco for under $2000.
Well, that's not entirely true (the last sentence)... if they're willing to live in a 1-bedroom or shared housing, and not in Nob Hill, Twin Peaks, etc., it's easy to find a place under $2000. I pay just a bit over that, for a 3-bedroom house in the southeast part of SF. Though when I read the original post, my first thought was "San Francisco would be perfect, if not for the "affordable" clause!" Obviously it's an expensive place to live, but there are over 750,000 residents - so it can't be THAT unreasonable. And yeah, it has those crazy hills that might seem unwalkable, but you'd be surprised how many of us walk around!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:49 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,015,503 times
I should add, there are also lots of great cities outside of San Fran itself, that are more "reasonably" priced. Pacifica comes to mind, which is a fairly affordable town just south of SF (right ON the ocean!)... I used to live there, and it's absolutely beautiful & charming. And you'll find that most Bay Area towns are gay-friendly, so you don't have to live in the actual city for that.

Only downside is weather, which I personally love, but you might think it's a bit chilly/foggy - as most of our coastal towns are. Maybe look into Santa Cruz, where the weather's a bit warmer, but the attitude is basically the same.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:48 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think on any beach you are going to see high prices. At this point, I would love to move to Charleston, but that is too much money.

But if you are looking in New England, well, then, I know New England, and I can say that hand's down, Provincetown, Massachusetts and Ogunquit, Maine are VERY gay friendly. They are also incredibly beautiful. Ogunquit, though, is something else. Picture waves slamming against the rocks, lobster boats pulling in, incredible theater...

I saw Gloria Swanson at the community theater when I was a small child. She was the mistress of Joe Kennedy, the father of Jack, Bobby, et. al.

If I could do it...if I was single and just starting out, well, I would go to P-Town, Ogunquit, or Charleston. Savannah, too. I just have a small child and can barely survive in Knoxville. But I can live through you, right?
Yes, living right on/very near the beach is really expensive anywhere. But genereally speaking, the farther inland you are, the more the home prices drop. Most could afford a nice home and still be in the Charleston metro area.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,177,287 times
Pleae correct me if I have my facts wrong - but aren't you the 18 year old who has been posting on this forum?

If so, then you want a youth oriented location plus your other requirements. Considering your rental budget, what about Corpus Christi? Hollywood Beach, FL (there are some inexpensive rentals in not very glitzy accommodations).

Old 04-04-2007, 02:47 PM

I'm not 18, I'm 16. But yes, a youth oriented place technically would be part of the requirements too!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:02 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,177,287 times
bmurphy - you start a thread with the word "Help" (a little unecessary drama) and you are a 16 year old who, in all likelyhood, is still in high school and living at home?? Are you even in a position to leave home?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM

I did say it would be in 2 years, didn't I? What is your problem? "Help" isn't drama, it's asking for advice on the situation. Sounds like you're the one who needs to grow up!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:01 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,336,711 times
I think it's nice to see a 16-year-old planning his future. Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or