U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:09 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,435,147 times

Advertisements

When we lived in Delaware I loved being able to take day trips to NYC and DC (and proximity to Philly goes without saying). And having all of those cities conveniently connected by train (and cheap buses) was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 01:25 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,140,590 times
I live right outside of NYC in the Metro (I live literally live 5 miles from the George Washington Bridge)

Property taxes are hell, but the town is racially diverse and near all the amenities i would need. (malls, major cities, airports, beaches east and south in hour or 2 distances, mountains, lakes, rivers, and more.)

Moderator cut: image removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
I'm talking about Teaneck, NJ.. Technically i live in Lodi, NJ right now but i move next month.

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 03:29 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 8,454 times
Lol...this "Boswash" thing exists only in people who have inferiority complexes and cant just represent their own state

NYC people could care less about someone from boston...DC people don't live the same lifestyle as someone from Patterson NJ

it simply doesnt exist

Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,155,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-of-nowhere View Post
I currently live in NYC and have been up and down the area for the past few years. It's comforting to know that you can just hop on a bus and 2-4 hours later, you are in another great city. It's just difficult to do that anywhere else in the US.
I disagree with this statement. I live in Milwaukee and I can get to the cities of Minneapolis, Madison, St. Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Cincinnati, and Cleveland within 6 hours or less.

People who live in LA can get to the cities of San Diego, Tijuana, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and the San Francisco Bay Area in less than 6 hours as well.

The South is the same way, Atlanta is within 6 hours of Charlotte, Nashville, Birmingham, Memphis, Columbia, Charleston, and Savannah.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:13 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,923,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesRules View Post
Lol...this "Boswash" thing exists only in people who have inferiority complexes and cant just represent their own state

NYC people could care less about someone from boston...DC people don't live the same lifestyle as someone from Patterson NJ

it simply doesnt exist
Stop making blanket bombastic mega-statements about people you don't know.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,923,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
It's a little too Megalopolis-y for me. I like space between my urban areas. I don't like clutter. I don't even enjoy looking at maps of that area. The end.
I actually agree with you somewhat on this. Living here so close to other cities and metro areas has its GOOD things as people mentioned but also its BAD.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,505,263 times
I know my opinion is going to be unpopular, but I've pretty much had more than enough of the "BosWash Corridor." I can see how visiting the major cities as a tourist would be cool, but living here, especially if you aren't part of a "trust-fund" upper-class family or part of the welfare-abusing underclass, can take its toll: physically, psychologically, emotionally, and even socially.

I just hope that graduating from a "Public Ivy" school in the Northeast will help me land a decent job out in a more laid-back, moderately-paced, socially affable and congenial, racially harmonious (not just tolerant, but harmonious) environment.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:25 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
DC people might just be worse than NYers. Atleast NYers will admit they are part of america, and acknowledge the rest of us.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,257,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I actually agree with you somewhat on this. Living here so close to other cities and metro areas has its GOOD things as people mentioned but also its BAD.
But you can easily drive just a couple hours away from any of these cities and be in seclusion in the mountains.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,549,038 times
Jacob,

You missed the point entirely!

You leave DC and 40 minutes later you are in Baltimore: An hour and 20 minutes later you are in Philly: Two hours later you are in New York and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.