U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,269,051 times

Advertisements

The Boston-NYC-Philadelphia-Wilimington,DE-Baltimore-D.C. corridor, known as the Norheast Megalopolis or BoWash for short, is the most populous area of the U.S. It touts the nations largest city, one of the most powerful cities in the world, and is home to a diverse group of people. To City-Data.com forummers who have lived or visited this massive area, what are your thoughts about this region? What facets of this corridor do you love, like or absolutely hate? Also, to past residents of BoWash, would you ever move to this area again? To BoWash current residents, would you like to live elsewhere or are you perfectly content living here?

Any other comments about the Megalopolis, post them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 PM

16,738 posts, read 23,170,683 times
If it weren't for the high cost of living in the area I probably would never leave. Right now we're contemplating the idea due to the fact we can get a much nicer home for much less.

I love the "on the go-ness" of the area. People are always headed somewhere; I-95 from DC to Boston has at least moderate traffic 24 hours a day, and is one of the heaviest traveled highways in the world. It seems that while there are sleepy towns along the highway, there is always something going on.

I also like how people are politically moderate in the megalopolis. I don't see a lot of extreme leftists or right wingers around.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 PM

34,691 posts, read 33,695,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
The Boston-NYC-Philadelphia-Wilimington,DE-Baltimore-D.C. corridor, known as the Norheast Megalopolis or BoWash for short, is the most populous area of the U.S. It touts the nations largest city, one of the most powerful cities in the world, and is home to a diverse group of people. To City-Data.com forummers who have lived or visited this massive area, what are your thoughts about this region? What facets of this corridor do you love, like or absolutely hate? Also, to past residents of BoWash, would you ever move to this area again? To BoWash current residents, would you like to live elsewhere or are you perfectly content living here?

Any other comments about the Megalopolis, post them here.
When you say diverse group of people you aren't speaking of diversity of opinion, right? Have you ever looked at a political map?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:12 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,799 times
Quote:
I love the "on the go-ness" of the area. People are always headed somewhere
Yet they never seem to get there.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:41 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,320,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
When you say diverse group of people you aren't speaking of diversity of opinion, right? Have you ever looked at a political map?
Lifelong Boston resident. I think living somewhere else for a while would be enriching but it would also depend on where. I love the ocean.
I also believe that I would always return. IMO the Northeast is the best place in the country to live. Not by a longshot, but enough to make me stay.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
No I am not.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:56 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,615,969 times
Quote:
Just because most people vote Democrat doesn't mean they all have the same set of beliefs and ideas. My mother is anti gay marriage, and religious for example, and votes Democrat while my sister is, pro gay marriage, pro gun control and votes Democrat. Even within the same party it's a pretty big tent.

I was just making a post in the other thread about states that vote straight democratic but are actually moderate to conservative.

Anyway, as a region, the NE is unmatched in the nation for history and livability. A few other regions come close like the NW and West Coast, but as a region there are few competitors.

What sucks is that if Chicago had a few more dominant cities, it's region would be up there too.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,051,808 times
I live on the northern end of the megalopolis. I don't like it here much but I wouldn't mind living on the southern end of the megalopolis (Washington, DC area).

Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
The Southern end is alright. Very expensive though. I like the middle of it.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Southern end is alright. Very expensive though. I like the middle of it.
What do you consider the Souhern end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.