U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:54 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,447,074 times

Advertisements

The Civil War? Or much later, like the 1920s, or even the 1960s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:14 AM

3,078 posts, read 5,456,335 times
In my part of the country at least, I think the Unions have a lot to do with it.

Michigan is actually pretty conservative socially, but the Democratic party traditionally sides with the Union, and that's where the votes go.

We might technically be a Blue State, but if you dig a little deeper, I think we are closer to the South in a lot of ways politically than we are to the east or west coasts. I think that's probably the case with Ohio too.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,218,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
In my part of the country at least, I think the Unions have a lot to do with it.

Michigan is actually pretty conservative socially, but the Democratic party traditionally sides with the Union, and that's where the votes go.

We might technically be a Blue State, but if you dig a little deeper, I think we are closer to the South in a lot of ways politically than we are to the east or west coasts. I think that's probably the case with Ohio too.
as evidenced by the fact that once you get out of range of Chicago radio stations, you hear nothing but country and christian channels in Michigan.

on that note, i will never rent a car without a CD player ever again.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:39 AM

34,707 posts, read 33,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think it was always less conservative than the south. What changed is Democrats being associated with liberalism and Republicans being associated with conservativism. Southern Democrats used to be largely conservative and many still are. I'm conservative and I would vote for a conservative Democrat over a liberal Republican.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,099,965 times
I think this coincided with the waves of eastern European immigration into the northern cities in the 19th and early 20th centuries. I also think that the agrarian nature and relative isolation associated with living in the South fostered the spirit of rugged individualism that has long been associated with conservative values.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,240,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Probably earlier than that.. I'd guess it was prior to the war of southern independence.

In order to answer your question, you need to define conservative. I equate conservative with libertarian. Others see it as an issue of morality or religion. Others see it as an issue of tolerance or egalitarianism.

But in general terms I would say that immigration is the key factor in the political differences between north and south. The south was mostly african slaves and white anglo protestants, and it stayed relatively simple and segregated for hundreds of years. The northeast was a dynamic mixture of jews, catholics, protestants, southern Europeans, eastern Europeans, Scandanavians, etc. Climate and agriculture play a role, causing much of the north to be urban, and much of the south to be rural. Urban areas are generally not as conservative.

Last edited by le roi; 04-13-2009 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,914,308 times
The North was NEVER less conservative than the South. The Republican Party when it started out was left-leaning like the Democrats are today. Over-time they switched roles and the North began favoring the Democrats.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,811,614 times
What kind of conservatism are you referring to? Social or fiscal conservatism? Northern folks can still be pretty fiscally conservative. Social conservatism is where you see the real divide, and even that issue isn't so much north vs. south as it is urban vs. rural, IMO.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 AM

56,749 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Probably earlier than that.. I'd guess it was prior to the war of southern independence.

In order to answer your question, you need to define conservative. I equate conservative with libertarian. Others see it as an issue of morality or religion. Others see it as an issue of tolerance or egalitarianism.

But in general terms I would say that immigration is the key factor in the political differences between north and south. The south was mostly african slaves and white anglo protestants, and it stayed relatively simple and segregated for hundreds of years. The northeast was a dynamic mixture of jews, catholics, protestants, southern Europeans, eastern Europeans, Scandanavians, etc. Climate and agriculture play a role, causing much of the north to be urban, and much of the south to be rural. Urban areas are generally not as conservative.
Actually, some Southern cities like Charleston, New Orleans and Tampa, among others, received their share of those immigrant groups too. That's relatively speaking.

I agree with another poster that stated that the South is split in terms of urban vs. rural, in many cases.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,981,160 times
Social issues. That seems to be the biggest divide, and that has been going on for at least 20 years now. Religion, specifically the Bible Belt of the South, is probably key to this.

Today it seems you cannot separate the fiscal conservatism from the social conservatism. You get the whole kit n kaboodle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.