U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,991,668 times

Advertisements

Dear Brit friend,

You want Upstate New York in the Finger Lakes district. Ithaca, Rochester, Syracuse. Comfortable but not affluent (and without all the pretensions that go with affluence), museums and universities, great physical beauty, a climate you will find familiar, only a few hours' drive from Toronto, Montreal, New York and Boston, and a pleasing diversity of political views... very "live and let live."

I would also put in a special word for Binghamton which sadly you may have heard of in the news lately but for all the wrong reasons. It is a lovely and safe small city that is closer to New York and Philadelphia than the other cities I just mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,579,953 times
The countryside outside Lexington, KY is identical to England. Also, there's a lot of British influence there.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:05 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,570,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleandoften View Post
Hi folks.

A big question for you! Big as America, in fact.

I'm a Brit who is looking to live in America for a few months at a time each year from now on. I'm not emigrating and do not need work. I'll spend more of the year in the greenbelt outside London, where I am extremely happy. I am not super-rich by any means, but am comfortably off and can afford to buy a nice enough home over there and have it maintained when I am back in the UK.

I'm hoping that my place in the USA will just be a nice place to kick back, relax, get involved with local stuff where I can and where I am wanted, make some new friends and generally enjoy a country and people I like very much.

Because the UK is pretty crowded, and because I spend a lot of time in London, I am NOT looking for a big, cosmopolitan city.

The kind of place I am looking for:

-comfortable and safe without being snot-nosed or manic about money and status
-friendly, relaxed...slightly arty or different is OK, but nothing pretentious...I like genuine warmth in a community, rather than it boasting a million artsy amenities...although some of those can be genuine and warm too
-LOTS of green stuff...especially trees
-near to genuine nature...not just one small state park that I'd have to drive to, but plenty of hikes, walks, maybe fishing, possibly hunting not too far away...I like the idea of hiking out someplace from my own property, or at the least only needing a pretty short drive to be in the middle of nowhere
-near enough to water...could be lakes, big rivers or the beach
-within a half day's drive of a decent-sized city and (genuinely) international airport
-probably no really new subdivisions or communities, or nothing too faked, like a golf resort...I like some of your older communities better
-a small number of good restaurants as well as the usual chains...I am not a picky, elitist Euro-diner...but every now and then I need something really good, or different
-a few friendly bars and pubs not too far away

I have had a few suggestions already. Although I know several aprts of America pretty well, I have never been to these:

-Raleigh-Durham-that part of NC
-A lot of Colorado
-New England
-Western Montana

In different ways all of the above miss one or two of my criteria, but that's cool. The criteria are just a guide, really. I'm interested in the South, because of the weather, but not exclusively so.

I'd really appreciate any steers you guys might have. You know the palce so much better than me.

Thanks in advance!
Perhaps you could give us a bit more information regarding your interests...America is a big place with thousands of smaller cities. You're description is too broad.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:25 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,080,428 times
I triple ditto Asheville,NC.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:44 PM

21,367 posts, read 21,936,621 times
Silmarillion! Do not listen to these Easterners, they try to deceive you. The true magic of America extends to the West! Everything you seek lies beyond the Ohio River. Your vision describes the land of The Upper Midwest and more particularly Minnesota and Wisconsin. Check your map, consult the Google and research the area and you will find what you need. The Ainur sang it to me in a dream.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,570,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The Ainur sang it to me in a dream.
All of them? Or was it just the Valar? Was the 15th there?

Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,459,996 times
I agree many, many cities all over the country would fit the bill. I'd recommend looking at the Upper Midwest, Upstate NY, Western Massachusetts, Northern New England, Northern California, and the Pacific Northwest. Maybe Colorado. Then narrowing down the list from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Silmarillion! Do not listen to these Easterners, they try to deceive you. The true magic of America extends to the West! Everything you seek lies beyond the Ohio River. Your vision describes the land of The Upper Midwest and more particularly Minnesota and Wisconsin. Check your map, consult the Google and research the area and you will find what you need. The Ainur sang it to me in a dream.
+1 for creativity!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 PM

21,367 posts, read 21,936,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
All of them? Or was it just the Valar? Was the 15th there?
Actually they came to me as a Barbershop Quartet with vast frosty mugs of Leinenkugels.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 PM

1,688 posts, read 6,923,238 times
Default What time of year?

OP - you left out a crucial bit of information. What time of year are you planning on spending on this side of the pond? Will it vary? Do you want snow in the winter, will you even be there in the winter?

For example, if you're going to be summer only, then that's going to rule a lot of the south out because your interests are in the great outdoors and hiking when it's 102F and 85% humidity outside can make the experience less than wholly pleasant. Alternatively, getting snowed in can drive anyone bonkers.

One place you might consider is Roanoke, Viriginia. It's about a 3.5-4 hr drive to the airport at Dulles (which fits your bill of being a truly international airport - all the major flag carriers fly there, airport code IAD) but the proximity to mountains, forest, state parks, national recreation areas as well as some lakes might make it worthwhile to you. It does get hot in the summer - but it's not unbearable to most, and it also gets cold and some snow in the winter, but again, nothing unbearable.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,140,590 times
Frederick, Maryland

The city has a nice urban yet nature feel to it. It's pretty close to the countries capitol and it it's right next to beautiful mountains, beaches, and it has nice bearable weather with the complete 4 seasons.
It pretty much fits your description.

I chose it because it's the border of North and South so you can get the feel of both regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.