U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 11:43 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,061,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Houston=5.6 metro
I found another source with 4.4M for Houston, but not 5.6M. What's your source?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 02:23 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,772,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I found another source with 4.4M for Houston, but not 5.6M. What's your source?
Ehhh, only the U.S. Census Bureau website.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:40 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,597,180 times
True, the Dallas natives with old money don't act like that - but we are well-groomed, educated, travelers, interested in literature, history (we have more historic and conservation districts than any place in Texas if not the USA), art, theater, film and politics.

It's the new money in the Park Cities and the northern suburbs and exurbs with badly-built McMansions to match their egos which give us a 'plastic' reputation and who rudely trumpet their 'affluenza'.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,183,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
True, the Dallas natives with old money don't act like that - but we are well-groomed, educated, travelers, interested in literature, history (we have more historic and conservation districts than any place in Texas if not the USA), art, theater, film and politics.
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
No matter what you say, the hot Houston air stinks and people wear gold-nugget jewelry. Diamond Rolexes on men throwing inappropriately large tips? We laugh at that here!
Is this the kind of thing "educated travelers" say? Or, worse yet, actually think??

Old 04-27-2007, 03:34 PM

94 posts, read 309,183 times
I'd say DC area. Every house I go to gets bigger and bigger. It's like they compete with one another as to who has the bigger/ better house. The ladies and their diamond rings. The men and their luxury cars. This is just my observation from my friend's relative. In general, I do feel a snobby vibe up here though.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:38 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,597,180 times
JJP - can't you take a little good natured ribbing to keep up the Dallas and Houston rivalry? It's a very old tradition, like Texas vs. A&M or Dallas vs. Fort Worth or Tyler vs. Longview or Midland vs. Odessa...

You must not have lived in Texas long! And don't forget I actually lived in Houston for a couple of years and even Houstonians would say as much..

Old 05-31-2007, 11:50 AM

2,231 posts, read 5,426,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Per capita, I checked, but ummm I gotta say that Houston has the most theater seats anywhere...second only to New York lol
Just curious... how many theatre seats do Los Angeles and Chicago have... and how many does Houston have?

If you claim that the number of seats in greater Houston is larger than the number in greater Chicago, then you must know what those numbers are.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:46 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,772,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Just curious... how many theatre seats do Los Angeles and Chicago have... and how many does Houston have?

If you claim that the number of seats in greater Houston is larger than the number in greater Chicago, then you must know what those numbers are.
No, I don't, but I'm sure whoever counted does. And who said anything about Greater Houston or Greater Chicago? We're talking about the actual city.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:56 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,459,173 times
aceplace, click on a link every once in a while, wouldja?

About Houston Theater District - Houston Theater District, About Us (http://www.houstontheaterdistrict.org/en/cms/?68 - broken link)

With 12,948 seats for live performances and 1,480 movie seats, the Houston Theater District ranks second behind New York City for the number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area.

Who knows? The clincher may be "in a concentrated downtown area," not overall.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:07 PM

18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxdrivr View Post
I'd say DC area. Every house I go to gets bigger and bigger. It's like they compete with one another as to who has the bigger/ better house. The ladies and their diamond rings. The men and their luxury cars. This is just my observation from my friend's relative. In general, I do feel a snobby vibe up here though.

I get the same vibe here in the DC area. I don't know if Maryland is like this but Virginia surely is. Especially when you get to the Loudon county areas. I would love to move to Maryland but people around here tell me the crime is bad there. But I know I'd take Maryland anyday over Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or