U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:08 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I I'm so glad I left there.
I'm working on that. I have experienced it now for 2 years. I'm ready to leave it. Nice area to visit but it's time to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 08:22 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,921,552 times
La-NY Dallas Houston

Old 06-01-2007, 08:28 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,921,552 times
Argueing aboutTheater Seats??? OK<what city has the most empty ?

Old 06-09-2007, 04:08 AM

1,134 posts, read 913,884 times
Los Angeles has the first and largest theatre district in the country. These palaces are now mostly shuttered or used for swap meets. On south Broadway between 3rd and 9th. Very few still show movies. NY " Broadway style " theatre is considered 2nd tier entertainment in L.A. As for this thread, are we talking about the image of the city through the eyes of it's people or the image of the people themselves? City? New York. People? L. A.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:37 AM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 431,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaligirl View Post
But I must agree with DullNboring
"1. Orange County, California"
However, I think everyone should do whatever makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

With that in mind.....the thing that gets me is when it trickles down to the children in the neighborhood. And I know it's not even intentional. But it is affecting our youth tremendously. And I dont just mean teenagers, I mean I have heard it from multiple 8 year olds who focus on their weight, clothing labels etc.... Unfortunately children learn from what they hear and mimick what they see. I mean I believe in taking care of oneself and feeling good, but we need to provide our youth with other means of self esteem and acceptance.

That's just my take ~Kali
Very True! When I lived in LA, I had always thought Orange County was "the place" to raise a family. However, after living there- I am concerned that it is too-image-conscious for kids. Personally, I can deal with brands and labels just fine. I mean, I eat well, am physically fit, and have "a good gene structure." I also have an education and an old enough to obtain the things that I want. But when you're young, you can't be obsessing about you're appearance and wealth. So in effect, kids are just displaying the wealth of their parents-not themselves. There is a huge perfectonist-movement in OC and this has to be very tough on the kids.

In order to avoid this, I'm considering leaving Orange County after I have kids or even avoiding to kids completely. If I do end up as a "Daddy," I'd rather live down by Northern San Diego County, Monterey, or up in Marin County(Bay Area). Either of those are better choices for me than the rich "keep up with the Jonses' " bubble here in OC!

Last edited by fashionablecowboy; 06-09-2007 at 05:53 AM..

Old 10-16-2007, 08:05 PM

104 posts, read 417,538 times
Plano. And Dallas in general.

If Monterrey were in the US, I'd add that too. =/

Old 10-16-2007, 08:18 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,043,716 times
Plastic people is just part of living in a big city. I think some image consciousness is necissary, otherwise everywhere would be like Fort Smith, Arkansas, where people ask what the occasion is if you wear anything other than overalls or camo. I think Dallas, as many have said, is definately on the plastic side. I like Houston personally, which boasts a good balance of plastic and laid-back influence.

Many people might disagree with me, but I am going to have to go with Oklahoma City as well. I grew up in the OKC area before my dad retired, and although I miss it (I wouldn't mind moving back), there is a huge Dallas envy there and at the time everybody desperately wanted to make OKC a "Little Dallas". I think things have improved there in recent years thinks to the massive urban renewal project and the city is developing more of its own identity.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 AM

2,744 posts, read 2,839,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
. NY " Broadway style " theatre is considered 2nd tier entertainment in L.A.
That's the most ignorant thing I ever heard.

Anyone who has ever acted in a school play knows that LIVE theater is a lot harder than theater on Film.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 AM

884 posts, read 761,001 times
[quote=fashionablecowboy;856094]Very True! When I lived in LA, I had always thought Orange County was "the place" to raise a family. However, after living there- I am concerned that it is too-image-conscious for kids. Personally, I can deal with brands and labels just fine. I mean, I eat well, am physically fit, and have "a good gene structure." I also have an education and an old enough to obtain the things that I want. QUOTE]

Congratulations! I'm mailing you a trophy as we speak.

As long as we are tooting our own horns here...I was good at video games when I was a little kid. I think it's in part to my "good gene structure"....in particular my thumbs.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 PM

697 posts, read 2,024,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Congratulations! I'm mailing you a trophy as we speak.

As long as we are tooting our own horns here...I was good at video games when I was a little kid. I think it's in part to my "good gene structure"....in particular my thumbs.
We must have the same ancestors, because I've noticed that the gene structure in my thumbs allows me to also be good at video games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or