U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 PM

604 posts, read 1,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesHotGirl View Post
I always hear people here saying "Chicago is so great in the summertime" or "we are having some great weather here in NY"

to me , weather is like, no big deal

seriously...its sunny and 76 out..who cares?? lol

summer isn't really a big deal in Cali like i guess it is some other cold places ... and we dont have nasty humidity(something many do not understand since theyve neevr been in that sort of climate)..

so my question is...do you think Californians take their weather for granted?

yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 03:52 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,079,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Southern Californians that I know flip out and put on mittens and big wool hats when the temperature gets below 62 degrees. They also complain about their home heating bills and when I ask what they keep the thermostat set on they reply some crazy warm temp, like 75 or 78!

Northern Californians seem normal in this regard, however, so I wouldn't say it is a west coast phenomenon so much as a southern California phenomenon.

ABQConvict
But it's 61 with 15mph winds right now and everyone's wearing shorts and a t-shirt!
Maybe they're all Northern Californians like me lol
I do agree about the Southern California phenomenon,I thought the same thing..Seattle and even Lake Tahoe aren't exactly known for there great weather.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,956,069 times
Probably, but it's also pretty boring and a big part of why I wanted to leave. I wanted to see what 4 seasons are all about and it's super cool moving from one season to the next. You do appreciate them all for what they have to offer.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:44 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,990,298 times
I do think more Americans seem "spoiled" about the weather now than they were 30 or 40 years ago. More people live in the South and West than there used to be, where mild winters are a given, and they often seem terrified of the prospect of cold winters, I can just see it here from reading the boards when people are looking for a place to live... they will accept ANY deviation from their dream locale's list of good features, EXCEPT the winters. To be fair, many people also hate heat/humidity so temperature seems a really strong preference.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:57 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,282,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
probably, until they visit the southeast in the summer or the north in the winter.

I agree.

I am spoiled by the Northern Winters!!

I love Northern Winters!( I know I'm freaky)

Anyone want to come here it's a smoking hot 35 degrees!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 PM

22,384 posts, read 27,594,762 times
Are west coasters spoiled by good weather? I certainly am.

Do Californians take their weather for granted? Many do, but not me.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,282,201 times
I can remember a few years ago when an extremely rare blizzard/Winter storm warning was issued for San Diego County and an inch of snow fell.

It was hilarious watching the reactions of Californians waking up and seeing snow!!..priceless!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,079,093 times
The reactions of Coastal Southern Californians*
lol sorry had to do it but plenty people in California experience 4 seasons and lots of winter snow.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:26 PM

508 posts, read 1,317,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesHotGirl View Post
I always hear people here saying "Chicago is so great in the summertime" or "we are having some great weather here in NY"

to me , weather is like, no big deal

seriously...its sunny and 76 out..who cares?? lol

summer isn't really a big deal in Cali like i guess it is some other cold places ... and we dont have nasty humidity(something many do not understand since theyve neevr been in that sort of climate)..

so my question is...do you think Californians take their weather for granted?
Probably not since you pay for it.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,995,331 times
In '61 it snowed several inches in the San Joaquin Valley and I ran outside and built snowmen and threw snowballs, and it was quite a novelty for us in school. However, in a couple of days it had already grown old. Here where I live now, I hate it because it almost always turns into sheets of ice.

As a kid I simply loved and thrived well in the sunny, hot climate. Today, it's a medical issue more than anything else. Poor circulation, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or