U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,319,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've flown about 150 times in my life. I travel very often. My top 2 would be:

1. Flying into NYC. As you can see from my status message, nothing is prettier than landing in NYC and seeing all the lights from the city, with the skyline beside you. It's also nice in the daytime, but I think it's prettier at night.

2. Flying into Las Vegas. From about 45 minutes before you land, if you're flying from the east, you get stunning views of the grand canyon and other canyons along the way. Flying over the Rocky Mountains with the snow is also a nice site.

I've never flown through CA, but i'm sure it's pretty.
You just shook some cobwebs!

July 4th, 1984, I had the privilege of flying from Denver to LaGuardia, in the evening. Not only was flying into NYC incredible, so too was the entirety of that flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 01:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Long Island is really a sight to be seen from the air. Multitudinous sandbars and coves and sandy beaches and islands. Then you get a view of NYC before you land. This is best done at dusk when the light is spectacular.

ABQConvict

That's true. Seeing all the different beaches and sandbars is pretty too. I mostly fly home at night though, so I've only seen it a couple times.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
You just shook some cobwebs!

July 4th, 1984, I had the privilege of flying from Denver to LaGuardia, in the evening. Not only was flying into NYC incredible, so too was the entirety of that flight.

That must have been cool on the 4th of July. You probably got to see some fireworks from the air?

I'm sure people feel similar when they fly home, but there's nothing better than seeing the Statue of Liberty and Empire state building out the window and realizing you're back home to the city you love

Old 04-16-2009, 01:42 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,319,771 times
Quote:
That must have been cool on the 4th of July. You probably got to see some fireworks from the air?

I'm sure people feel similar when they fly home, but there's nothing better than seeing the Statue of Liberty and Empire state building out the window and realizing you're back home to the city you love
That's exactly the reason it memorable. I viewed fireworks in towns of various sizes, starting about western Illinois and going eastward. It was a constant stream of activity, it seemed.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM

44 posts, read 127,622 times
As a geography nut, I love this thread idea. Here are some of the memorable flights I've taken:

Cincy to Madison, WI - I like flying over Lake Michigan and seeing Chicago's skyline on the distant shore.

Flying into Vegas at night is fun. Darkness for hours until you approach the city. The Luxor light is amazing.

Flying over West Virginia is surprisingly interesting. WV gets me with how consistently irregular the mountains are. I can't imagine getting lost on the ground in WV. At least in PA, most of our mountains are in long ridges so you know what way you are facing.

Like previous posters, I've also flown on July 4th. Once from SF to Philly and the other (and more memorable) was Manchester, NH to Philly as the sun was setting. We saw dozens of fireworks shows, including NYC.

Finally, flying into St. Lucia (Hewanorra Intl) is great as the first sight as you approach the island is the Pitons. Then you fly right over them on the approach to the airport.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:59 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,092,008 times
Quote:
I've flown about 100 times so far. I travel very often. My top 2 would be:

1. Flying into NYC. As you can see from my status message, nothing is prettier than landing in NYC and seeing all the lights from the city, with the skyline beside you. It's also nice in the daytime, but I think it's prettier at night.

2. Flying into Las Vegas. From about 45 minutes before you land, if you're flying from the east, you get stunning views of the grand canyon and other canyons along the way. Flying over the Rocky Mountains with the snow is also a nice site.

I've never flown through CA, but i'm sure it's pretty.

In July I'm flying to Athens. I've looked at the flight patterns, and it seems the plane flies over Greenland and most of Europe, due to the gulf stream. It will be really nice to see a lot of Europe as we land
I'll do you one better and recommend the flight into Newark at night. You get the entirety of the Manhattan skyline from the plane window. It's beautiful and the high will last until you're off the plane and you realize you're in Newark, not New York.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I'll do you one better and recommend the flight into Newark at night. You get the entirety of the Manhattan skyline from the plane window. It's beautiful and the high will last until you're off the plane and you realize you're in Newark, not New York.

Nah, the best view is flying in/out of Laguardia. Don't know if you've flow in/out of there though. I've flown in/out of every airport in metro NYC in both the day and night time. You're right beside Manhattan while landing at LGA, and can see it in clear view on the runway. JFK would be second. Not as good of a view of Manhattan, but you're flying over Brooklyn and Queens when you land. That's a nice site. I don't like flying in/out of Newark because you mostly see all the plants/factories, which are such an eye sore. I've come up with a couple pictures from each airport. You can still see the skyline in Newark though, but not nearly as well as LGA

Laguardia:

I love seeing this when I land at LGA

JFK:

Newark:

Old 04-21-2009, 05:12 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,075,130 times
I still remember my first time ever seeing NYC when I was younger flying on a redeye to JFK and I woke up and literally five minutes after you could see Manhattan from my window with the sun directly on it..it was a tease though because I was connecting to a different plane in JFK to goto Boston and didn't even goto NY for awhile after that.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 PM

34,672 posts, read 33,671,635 times
I liked flying over the salt flats in Utah.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:27 PM

278 posts, read 900,537 times
I flew from London to Madrid... The Pyrenees mountains were awesome!!

Also flying ino Barcelona is really cool... Surrounded by mountains and the sea. You come in over the Mediterranean Sea and can see The Balearic Islands.... BREATHTAKING!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or