U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 05:01 PM

8,115 posts, read 17,335,259 times

Advertisements

What is the best flight to have a window seat? Not long ago, I flew from Oakland to San Diego, which involved a flight that roughly overlapped the Pacific Ocean boundary with the coast the entire duration of the flight. It was the shortest flight I've ever had, it felt like 5 minutes. I was absolutely rivoted by the mountains clashing with ocean. Flying to Oregon last week, I was able to fly over the Grand Canyon and observe it from a completely different perspective. Again, rivoting.

Are there other flights anyone has experienced with such breathtaking scenery, from 35k feet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 05:16 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,433,843 times
I agree, I really enjoy the flights that parallel the CA coast. I've flown between the Bay Area and San Diego numerous times and know which side of the plane to sit on for the best views. Even inland flights are very scenic over the Sierra Nevada's. Flying east from San Diego is pretty cool too b/c the flight takes off heading west over the ocean then wraps around and flies east so you get to see the ocean, city, mountains, then desert and its kind of dramatic how much the landscape changes so quickly.

The worst though is flights to Hawaii from CA for obvious reasons, nothing but ocean except when you land or take off.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:20 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,501,946 times
The flight from Madrid to Miami was amazing IMO. As you take off, you see the core of Madrid and all the red-roofed towns in the countryside. You see the volcanoes of the Azores which look particularly beautiful when partially obscured by clouds. You see the crystal-clear water and coral reefs of the Bahamas. The flight from Madrid to Frankfurt was also great.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:33 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,780,394 times
I saw the aurora borealis flying to seattle (vancouver?). we flew over the north pole I believe. VERY cool.

i've flown from LA -> Sacramento but I think we flew more inland, I don't recall seeing the coastline. That would be awesome.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:27 PM

502 posts, read 1,406,138 times
I saw the rockies flying to Las vegas from Virginia. very scenic

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,577,242 times
I got a kick just out of flying to Vegas. Any rough terrain is at least mildly entertaining. Hawaii is a whole lot of nothing, of course, until you finally see the islands. Then it's like Christmas time.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,509,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
The flight from Madrid to Miami was amazing IMO. As you take off, you see the core of Madrid and all the red-roofed towns in the countryside. You see the volcanoes of the Azores which look particularly beautiful when partially obscured by clouds. You see the crystal-clear water and coral reefs of the Bahamas. The flight from Madrid to Frankfurt was also great.
Miami-Madrid is a beautiful route.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:20 PM

11,893 posts, read 32,933,878 times
Some of my most memorable flights:
  • New Orleans - San Francisco -- we flew 35,000 feet over the Grand Canyon.
  • Orlando - Nashville, early morning -- we flew directly over Atlanta which was covered in fog. Only the tops of downtown skyscrapers pierced through the fog.
  • Los Angeles - Vancouver -- similar to mike0421's experience.
  • Montreal - Atlanta -- Philadelphia looked beautiful from 35,000 feet.
  • Denver - Salt Lake City -- Rocky Mountains all the way.
  • Anywhere to Hong Kong -- while not as spectacular as the old HK airport, landing at the new HK airport is still breathtaking.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:09 PM

15,529 posts, read 17,755,782 times
Long Island is really a sight to be seen from the air. Multitudinous sandbars and coves and sandy beaches and islands. Then you get a view of NYC before you land. This is best done at dusk when the light is spectacular.

ABQConvict

Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
I've flown about 100 times so far. I travel very often. My top 2 would be:

1. Flying into NYC. As you can see from my status message, nothing is prettier than landing in NYC and seeing all the lights from the city, with the skyline beside you. It's also nice in the daytime, but I think it's prettier at night.

2. Flying into Las Vegas. From about 45 minutes before you land, if you're flying from the east, you get stunning views of the grand canyon and other canyons along the way. Flying over the Rocky Mountains with the snow is also a nice site.

I've never flown through CA, but i'm sure it's pretty.

In July I'm flying to Athens. I've looked at the flight patterns, and it seems the plane flies over Greenland and most of Europe, due to the gulf stream. It will be really nice to see a lot of Europe as we land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or