Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:43 AM

112 posts, read 615,685 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Indy with my partner and am looking to move. Indy is ok, but I need more natural beauty and just something different. I am 28 and my partner is 30.

In general, we are looking to live in a mid-sized city (greater than 75,000) or close to large-sized city. We could definitely live more rural-ish, as long as we are within 15 minutes of a larger city with the amenities we love: quality restaurants, organic/natural grocery stores, and living close to work. But we also love nature and my partner would love to have a large yard, or even an acre or two of land. We just want the best of nature and outdoors without giving up what we love about city life.

More info about what we want:

-Progressive city/state, but not too hippie
-Access to lots of outdoor activities/nature (biking, hiking, nothing extreme)
-We love mountains. Hills are good too. Especially love the mountains out west
-Temperate climate is fine. I dislike heat and humidity more than cold and snow. But I don't want to live anywhere that can snow as late as June and as early as Sept. Thats too short of a season. Having 4 seasons is fine. I don't need L.A. weather.
-I like having a small garden, but also try hard to buy local produce and meat. I really try to adhere to the 100 mile diet as much as possible. So somewhere with a good local/farmer's market scene
-Obviously, close to parks, but also within a 1-2 hours drive of good hiking. Close to hiking in mountains would be a nice bonus.
-Housing cost around $350K or less on average
-Closer to medical facilities, I am a hospital Pharmacist
-Close to an international airport, we love to travel

I think thats about it. Hopefully I don't get any responses to the effect of, 'If you find that place, let me know.' But maybe this place doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
Yeah, Colorado is perfect for you. I would check into the towns near both Colorado Springs and Denver.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Yeah, Colorado is perfect for you. I would check into the towns near both Colorado Springs and Denver.
Isn't Colorado Springs conservative? Its an evangelical basin, correct?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Isn't Colorado Springs conservative? Its an evangelical basin, correct?

Edit: I actually had my first trip to Colorado in March and liked it. We went to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and hiked and snow shoe'd. The park was amazing! We also spent just a day in Denver. It was a nice city, but I didn't spend enough time there to tell if it was anything special. I did think it would be closer to the mountains though. That was a bit disappointing. Its more arid than I expected.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:29 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
isnt' denver in the mountains, thus the mile high city/stadiums? anyways, i'm not sure about colorado springs and its' religious attitudes. surely, it is nothing like utah or salt lake city. colorado springs has almost 400,000 people, no way they're all religious fanatics...no way!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
isnt' denver in the mountains, thus the mile high city/stadiums? anyways, i'm not sure about colorado springs and its' religious attitudes. surely, it is nothing like utah or salt lake city. colorado springs has almost 400,000 people, no way they're all religious fanatics...no way!

Fair point regarding Colorado Springs, but sometimes it may only take a few fanatics to spoil the whole lot

Yes, Denver is at a high elevation, but I wouldn't say its in the mountains. Or at least it doesn't seem that way when you are there. Its a good hour just to get to the hills of the continental divide. I have nothing against the city, it was just something that surprised me on my visit. Its similar to the Hollywood sign in L.A. On TV/in the movies it seems like the sign is just right there. You can walk up to it and stand by it, etc. But no. The first time you visit L.A. you realize its freakin' high up in the hills and very difficult to get to.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:16 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Maybe Orange, Rockland, or Ulster county in upstate NY. Still about an hour and a half away from NYC, but not too far and beginning to get near the Catskill mountains.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:24 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
The Boston area could suit you well. To the Northwest of the city and up in New Hampshire you can find areas that are very hilly and near mountains where you can sky, hike, etc. The land near/in New Hampshire is considerably less expensive than some of the Western Suburbs, North Shore/South Shore suburbs, but you still have great accessibility to the city through both highway and rail transit.

There are major airports in both Boston and Manchester, NH and the Boston area is known for its incredible medical facilities.

There are also plenty of beaches to visit during the summer months! So you'd have access to the moutains and beaches and wouldn't have to drive far to get to either.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
There aren't really mountains in the Boston area though.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 AM

6 posts, read 5,151 times
sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.