U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 12:36 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times

Advertisements

Ain't that hard folks. The obvious Midwest states are: Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, and the Dakotas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 01:45 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
1. Upper Midwest - near Canada/Great Lakes, has Canadian and Nordic cultural influence. More liberal and urban.

2. Midland - the heart of the Midwest. Very flat, lots of corn and soybeans, neutral accent.

3. Lower Midwest - more hills and trees, Southern drawl in some areas, more conservative.
No part of West Virginia adjacent to Pennsylvania is "lower Midwest."

Old 11-10-2010, 06:45 AM

31 posts, read 137,733 times
Default Where's the criteria?

There should be a mathematical reason as to why Oklahoma is not in the Midwest. Til then, OK is a Midwest state with Midwest and Southern influences.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM

884 posts, read 1,522,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, Oklahoma is the South, and has strong southern cultural charactersitics- as well as socially conservative politics. It is also much too far south in latitude to be considered the Midwest.
Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas all have similar politics. Maybe the Dakotas are more liberal then the former two, but still.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,201,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Why is Ohio considered midwest? Geographically, its eastern. It borders on PA and NY.
I don't see how Ohio's border with PA (it does NOT border NY) makes it "eastern". That part of PA is midwest as well. Coal mining, industry along lake Erie- all that rust belt steeze is midwest. Plus, it's on the other side of the mountains- the natural border of what is EAST.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:36 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer_22 View Post
There should be a mathematical reason as to why Oklahoma is not in the Midwest. Til then, OK is a Midwest state with Midwest and Southern influences.
Well, good luck with convincing the Census that your mathematical formula has proven that Oklahoma is a Midwest state. Are you going to include Tejas and Arkie in your formula too? Until then, I think most schools/folks will stick with the generally/historically accepted understanding of OkieVille. Cheers.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer_22 View Post
I am not sure what you mean by a mathematical formula to prove why Oklahoma should not be counted in the Midwest, but I can give you several mathmatical reasons why is it should be considered -- at the least -- MORE Southern than Midwestern. To wit (talking math, remember? ):

1. A mathematical majority of Oklahomans consider themselves to live in the South and think of themselves as Southerners.

2. A mathematical majority of Oklahoman's speak a variety of Southern American English and their preferred choice of 2nd person pronoun is either "you-all" or "y'all."

3. A large mathematical majority of Oklahomans are members of the Southern Baptist Church. In fact, the state per capita ranks in the VERY echelons of Southern Baptists.

4. A mathematical majority of the food items on the official state meal are decidedly Southern! Oklahoma State Meal

Now if THAT aint Southern....hee hee!

But seriously, I don't have a mother-lode stake in this issue, but still would definitely say once again, that Oklahoma has noteably more Southern qualities than true Midwestern.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM

31 posts, read 137,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I am not sure what you mean by a mathematical formula to prove why Oklahoma should not be counted in the Midwest, but I can give you several mathmatical reasons why is it should be considered -- at the least -- MORE Southern than Midwestern. To wit (talking math, remember? ):

1. A mathematical majority of Oklahomans consider themselves to live in the South and think of themselves as Southerners.

2. A mathematical majority of Oklahoman's speak a variety of Southern American English and their preferred choice of 2nd person pronoun is either "you-all" or "y'all."

3. A large mathematical majority of Oklahomans are members of the Southern Baptist Church. In fact, the state per capita ranks in the VERY echelons of Southern Baptists.

4. A mathematical majority of the food items on the official state meal are decidedly Southern! Oklahoma State Meal

Now if THAT aint Southern....hee hee!

But seriously, I don't have a mother-lode stake in this issue, but still would definitely say once again, that Oklahoma has noteably more Southern qualities than true Midwestern.
I'm speaking more that state geographically, not culturally; therefore, your information was not parallel to mine. But for another cultural trait, a lot of us Okies have the "midland" accent, not just the southern one.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM

884 posts, read 1,522,962 times
The two of us Okies arguing this both agree that we can be included in the Midwest.

Everyone against us isn't even from OK.

I think I know who wins.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Maybe because you feel that the South has a negative image or something. I dunno. My dad's whole side of the family is from NE OK, and they consider themselves Southern, and to me it always felt way more Southern than my town in TN.

Also, I believe that Bass&Catfish is from OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.