U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,875,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
1. Upper Midwest - near Canada/Great Lakes, has Canadian and Nordic cultural influence. More liberal and urban.

2. Midland - the heart of the Midwest. Very flat, lots of corn and soybeans, neutral accent.

3. Lower Midwest - more hills and trees, Southern drawl in some areas, more conservative.
I don't have any issues with your 3 zones of the Midwest, but your boundaries of the Midwest are totally perverse. State lines are very culturally important to define regions in the US. Respect them. All North, South Dakotans, and Nebraska's consider themselves to be Midwesterners. And they all share the same culture and accents. Even those living near Montana and Wyoming. All Coloradans including those in Eastern Colorado consider themselves to be living in the Western United States, not the Midwest. All Oklahomans consider themselves to be Southerners. They are going to look at you, like you are crazy, if you try to tell them they are actually Midwesterners.

Trust me, I've been to a lot of these areas. The boundaries you drew are totally random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Maybe because you feel that the South has a negative image or something. I dunno. My dad's whole side of the family is from NE OK, and they consider themselves Southern, and to me it always felt way more Southern than my town in TN.

Also, I believe that Bass&Catfish is from OK
Proud born&raised Okie, counted and present!

As usual Smtchll, you and TexasReb are right on the money.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I don't have any issues with your 3 zones of the Midwest, but your boundaries of the Midwest are totally perverse. State lines are very culturally important to define regions in the US. Respect them. All North, South Dakotans, and Nebraska's consider themselves to be Midwesterners. And they all share the same culture and accents. Even those living near Montana and Wyoming. All Coloradans including those in Eastern Colorado consider themselves to be living in the Western United States, not the Midwest. All Oklahomans consider themselves to be Southerners. They are going to look at you, like you are crazy, if you try to tell them they are actually Midwesterners.

Trust me, I've been to a lot of these areas. The boundaries you drew are totally random.
>>>>>
State lines are very culturally important to define regions in the US. Respect them.
<<<<<

Best assertion on the whole dang thread! Well done.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 AM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Quote:

Well, no. State lines are politically and geographically important to define regions, but certainly not *culturally* important. Culturally, the rancher in western North Dakota has more in common with the rancher in eastern Colorado, than he does with the farmer in eastern North Dakota. Look to which metros people are oriented regardless of state lines (media markets, commerce, transportation, etc). People in western SD look to Denver, people in eastern SD look to Minneapolis/St Paul. People in the OK panhandle look to Denver also, but people in southern OK look to Dallas/Ft. Worth. Culture doesn't respect political boundaries.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,932,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I don't see how Ohio's border with PA (it does NOT border NY) makes it "eastern". That part of PA is midwest as well. Coal mining, industry along lake Erie- all that rust belt steeze is midwest. Plus, it's on the other side of the mountains- the natural border of what is EAST.
So Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo are not in the East?

Coal mining is not Midwest. SW PA (Pittsburgh) and most of WV (northern half + Ohio Valley) have much more in common with Scranton, Bethlehem, Syracuse than with Indy or even Columbus. Many OH residents (esp. NE Ohio) would also take issue with the Midwestern characterization, as would everyone from WV. Appalachia is either its own region, or it's part of the East (or perhaps part of the South for areas around the Piedmont and the Great Smoky Mountains), but it's never part of the Midwest. I think "Great Lakes" defines Buffalo/Cleveland/Detroit much better than "Midwest" (even Chicago? I don't know).

This has been discussed countless times in Pittsburgh forums (and upstate/western NY and perhaps Ohio), but East (or Northeast) doesn't mean East Coast. Pittsburgh/Buffalo are not East Coast, but they're in the East/Northeast, by every possible metric. Besides, "Rust Belt" is not a midwestern term. Providence, RI has been characterized as Rust Belt before, as have countless MA towns like Lowell.

As for the OP -- nice try, but Oklahoma and Pittsburgh aren't very much alike.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,016,590 times
Religion and Public Life in the Southern Crossroads

Here's a designation, which I feel accurately defines the state of Okla. (and others) as part of a distinct region of its own.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 PM

31 posts, read 137,733 times
Quote:
All Oklahomans consider themselves to be Southerners. They are going to look at you, like you are crazy, if you try to tell them they are actually Midwesterners.
Funny because I'm from Oklahoma and that's not true. Some will say southern, but a lot of native Oklahomans believe it's a Midwest state. Now if you were tell them they were a Western state or Eastern state, then yeah, that's when they would give you a weird look.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer_22 View Post
Funny because I'm from Oklahoma and that's not true. Some will say southern, but a lot of native Oklahomans believe it's a Midwest state. Now if you were tell them they were a Western state or Eastern state, then yeah, that's when they would give you a weird look.
Totally fine and you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

My first question would be: How far back does your heritage go back as an Okie? I've yet to meet native Okies with deep roots in the Sooner State (going back several generations) that would claim the Midwest.

I've met a few transplanted families that might indentify more with the Midwest because they came from a tried&true Midwestern state or California....which is totally fine....I like the Midwest; the folks are nice. It's just the vast majority of Oklahomans would not consider it a Midwestern state. Again, as TexasReb and many others have pointed to, there are legitimate (not opinions) studies that demonstrate this truth. We certainly border the West Midwest of Missouri/Kansas on our northern border.

Oklahoma is much more a mixture of Western and Southern influences more than anything else. It is not the "true" South such as Bammer (Deep South = 4-5 states?)....but it is kinda a mixture of Southwestern/Southern influences, which makes it a very unique state culturally. Oklahoma has some topographical similarity with some of the lower plains states, but that's about where the similarity ends with the Midwest. Culturally, we have much more affinity with Arkie and Tejas. I think that's how most Okies see it (at least the ones that I know and I'm getting to be an old man!). I think as OkieVille continues to get more transplants that will diminish, however. Just look at Dallas as evidence.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 11-12-2010 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 AM

884 posts, read 1,522,962 times
People are still saying eastern Colorado is Western. Alright, if you go to the border between Kansas and Colorado and look north, you'll see a wheat field on the right and a wheat field on the left. They are the same. The West begins when the mountains begin.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
So Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo are not in the East?

Coal mining is not Midwest. SW PA (Pittsburgh) and most of WV (northern half + Ohio Valley) have much more in common with Scranton, Bethlehem, Syracuse than with Indy or even Columbus. Many OH residents (esp. NE Ohio) would also take issue with the Midwestern characterization, as would everyone from WV. Appalachia is either its own region, or it's part of the East (or perhaps part of the South for areas around the Piedmont and the Great Smoky Mountains), but it's never part of the Midwest. I think "Great Lakes" defines Buffalo/Cleveland/Detroit much better than "Midwest" (even Chicago? I don't know).

This has been discussed countless times in Pittsburgh forums (and upstate/western NY and perhaps Ohio), but East (or Northeast) doesn't mean East Coast. Pittsburgh/Buffalo are not East Coast, but they're in the East/Northeast, by every possible metric. Besides, "Rust Belt" is not a midwestern term. Providence, RI has been characterized as Rust Belt before, as have countless MA towns like Lowell.

>>>>>
<<<<<

Haha!

One similarity I see is that both have storied football programs: the Sooners are one of the top 1-3 storied/tradition-laden college football programs ever and the Steelers are one of the most storied NFL teams in the history of the National Football League.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.