U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,587,131 times
Reputation: 3235

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
People are still saying eastern Colorado is Western. Alright, if you go to the border between Kansas and Colorado and look north, you'll see a wheat field on the right and a wheat field on the left. They are the same. The West begins when the mountains begin.
You can see the same thing in Washington and Oregon. Are those areas not the West?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,661 posts, read 27,123,201 times
Reputation: 9592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
You can see the same thing in Washington and Oregon. Are those areas not the West?
The majority of everything, if not everything, east of Interstate 25 in Eastern Colorado is flat land filled with corn and wheat. You might as well be in Kansas. I don't know if it's Midwest, but you can make an argument for it. It is easily the beginning of the Great Plains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Silverthorne, Colorado
884 posts, read 1,527,265 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
You can see the same thing in Washington and Oregon. Are those areas not the West?
Obviously my point wasn't clear like the person above me said, you might as well be in Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,216,479 times
Reputation: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjesup View Post
Is Greece considered part of the midwest (serious i am not joking),is Indonesia considered part of the midwest
Yes to both. Some people even include Honduras (which could be either Midwestern or Northeastern, depending on how you look at it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,903,577 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
People are still saying eastern Colorado is Western. Alright, if you go to the border between Kansas and Colorado and look north, you'll see a wheat field on the right and a wheat field on the left. They are the same. The West begins when the mountains begin.
I think you are confusing the Western States with the Rocky Mountain Region. By your definition Denver would be a Midwestern city. I lived in Denver for many years and never heard anyone ever refer to it as being a part of the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,903,577 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Well, no. State lines are politically and geographically important to define regions, but certainly not *culturally* important. Culturally, the rancher in western North Dakota has more in common with the rancher in eastern Colorado, than he does with the farmer in eastern North Dakota.
OK if people in Western ND have so much in common with with people in Eastern CO (which I don't necessarily agree with). Then why did the author of the map decide to exclude Western ND from the Midwest, while including Eastern CO? No matter how you look at it, the boundary as drawn, aside from being historically and geographically incorrect, is just not logical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 PM
 
23 posts, read 46,378 times
Reputation: 27
Any person with half of brain in their head will agree with this only morons will not:

midwest

Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Missouri
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Kansas
South Dakota
North Dakota

sub region of midwest:

great lakes

Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio
Illinois
Minnesota
Indiana

Plains:

Iowa
Missouri
South Dakota
North Dakota
Kansas
Nebraska

If the Australian Outback can cover most of Australia and siberia can cover most of russia why can't the midwest stretch from Ohio to Kimball Nebraska?? Most americans will agree with what i wrote.And i've lived in the midwest a long time ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,587,131 times
Reputation: 3235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenoranges View Post
Any person with half of brain in their head will agree with this only morons will not:

midwest

Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Missouri
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Kansas
South Dakota
North Dakota

sub region of midwest:

great lakes

Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio
Illinois
Minnesota
Indiana

Plains:

Iowa
Missouri
South Dakota
North Dakota
Kansas
Nebraska

If the Australian Outback can cover most of Australia and siberia can cover most of russia why can't the midwest stretch from Ohio to Kimball Nebraska?? Most americans will agree with what i wrote.And i've lived in the midwest a long time ago
I agree with this. The only thing I would change is include Minnesota in both Great Lakes and Plains: it's obviously in both subregions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 12:54 AM
 
Location: Silverthorne, Colorado
884 posts, read 1,527,265 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I think you are confusing the Western States with the Rocky Mountain Region. By your definition Denver would be a Midwestern city. I lived in Denver for many years and never heard anyone ever refer to it as being a part of the Midwest.
Denver is a mountain city because the mountains are... right... there...
East of Denver, where all the farms are, the mountains... are not right there.
It's simple, really.

We have a joke that our airport is in Kansas. It makes sense though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK, USA
31 posts, read 137,905 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenoranges View Post
Any person with half of brain in their head will agree with this only morons will not:

midwest

Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Missouri
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Kansas
South Dakota
North Dakota

sub region of midwest:

great lakes

Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio
Illinois
Minnesota
Indiana

Plains:

Iowa
Missouri
South Dakota
North Dakota
Kansas
Nebraska

If the Australian Outback can cover most of Australia and siberia can cover most of russia why can't the midwest stretch from Ohio to Kimball Nebraska?? Most americans will agree with what i wrote.And i've lived in the midwest a long time ago
I wouldn't become harsh and say they're morons but I know that Oklahoma is also a plains state.

http://alg.umbc.edu/usaq/archives/Ge...g_20100412.png

http://www.solpass.org/7ss/Images/GreatPlains3.GIF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_plains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top