U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2011, 05:42 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,957,815 times
Reputation: 596

Advertisements

To me Oklahoma is very much middle America. That, however, is not the same thing as "midwest". Rural Tennessee, Texas, Central Florida, even the central valley of California all have that feel.

Thats what the guy in the song was getting at. "Small town America", "flyover state" whatever you want to call it, Oklahoma certainly is that, but thats not just the midwest, its the rural south and midwest and even parts of the west too. Its what small town Indiana, Texas, North Carolina, and yes, California, all have in common.

Some aspects of American culture do not follow these strict regional lines. Thats why this modern country music is so popular with young people in small towns across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 PM
 
66 posts, read 282,695 times
Reputation: 47
COLORADO IS NOT MIDWEST AT ALL!!! we have the arid high plains, not the humid plains like in the midwest. we are part of the west, mtn. west, and SW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 AM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,073,712 times
Reputation: 2275
[quote=inskeep303;17935831]COLORADO IS NOT MIDWEST AT ALL!!! we have the arid high plains, not the humid plains like in the midwest. we are part of the west, mtn. west, and SW.[/quote

I think parts seem like the Midwest - you can't tell when you enter Colorado from Kansas. It seems a lot like you're still in Kansas when you cross the border (or, if you please, Kansas seems like that part of Colorado). I agree that overall it's not like the Midwest, but parts are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
Reputation: 7075
Very accurate map, but I would say that Oklahoma is not the Midwest. It's more identifiable with the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,953 posts, read 7,325,655 times
Reputation: 3739
Good map, but I wouldn't consider Northern Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois and the Upper Midwest; same with SE Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Colorado
434 posts, read 1,012,932 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Good map, but I wouldn't consider Northern Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois and the Upper Midwest; same with SE Michigan.
I agree. Having grown up in northern Ohio, I have never heard of nor felt like it was the Upper Midwest. Actually, no one I've ever known has called our area the Midwest.....we prefer to call the region the Great Lakes. When I think of Midwest I think of central Ohio, central Indiana and points west like Illinois and Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 PM
 
Location: IN
20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Reputation: 13297
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwalk View Post
I agree. Having grown up in northern Ohio, I have never heard of nor felt like it was the Upper Midwest. Actually, no one I've ever known has called our area the Midwest.....we prefer to call the region the Great Lakes. When I think of Midwest I think of central Ohio, central Indiana and points west like Illinois and Missouri.
Most of Missouri south of I-70 is Ozarkian- part of the upland South. Wooded topography with smaller farms that range from ranches, dairies, orchards, and less crops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 08:32 PM
 
Location: IN
20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Reputation: 13297
[quote=NowInWI;17938909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inskeep303 View Post
COLORADO IS NOT MIDWEST AT ALL!!! we have the arid high plains, not the humid plains like in the midwest. we are part of the west, mtn. west, and SW.[/quote

I think parts seem like the Midwest - you can't tell when you enter Colorado from Kansas. It seems a lot like you're still in Kansas when you cross the border (or, if you please, Kansas seems like that part of Colorado). I agree that overall it's not like the Midwest, but parts are.
Only the eastern 1/3 of Kansas is the Midwest- even though it is peripheral. The rest of the state transitioning from east to west becomes more western overall. Most corn in Kansas is grown through irrigation which isn't the case in the core of the Midwest. Culturally, climatically, and socially Kansas is not like most of the Midwest at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,570,502 times
Reputation: 3232
It depends on what you consider "Midwest." There really are two "Midwests" - the Great Lakes and the Great Plains. I've lived in both regions, and I can say that Kansas is very much like the Great Plains Midwest, but has little in common with states like Michigan or Ohio.

I've also spent time in the West, and Kansas (or Minnesota, South Dakota, any Great Plains state) isn't like that either.

Growing up, I always considered the Plains part of the Midwest, but now that I live in the Plains (and yes, western Minnesota is very much part of the Great Plains), I can see the difference. Really, the Great Plains should be its own region, or Michigan/Ohio/Indiana should be thrown in with the Northeast. For example, western MN is much more like Kansas or Nebraska (or even eastern Colorado) than it is like Minneapolis-St. Paul, Duluth, Rochester or any areas on the east side of Minnesota, which are much more Great Lakes - eastern Midwest areas like Michigan.

The way I see it:

Western Minnesota, South Dakota, western Iowa, northwest Missouri (including Kansas City), Nebraska, Kansas, eastern Colorado, eastern Wyoming and eastern and central Montana are all part of one region (the Great Plains).

Eastern and central Minnesota, eastern Iowa, northern and central Illinois, Wisconsin, northeast Missouri (including St. Louis), northern and central Indiana, Michigan and northern and central Ohio are all part of one region (the Great Lakes). The term "Midwest" could apply to either of these regions, but it doesn't make sense to group them together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 AM
 
Location: IN
20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Reputation: 13297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
It depends on what you consider "Midwest." There really are two "Midwests" - the Great Lakes and the Great Plains. I've lived in both regions, and I can say that Kansas is very much like the Great Plains Midwest, but has little in common with states like Michigan or Ohio.

I've also spent time in the West, and Kansas (or Minnesota, South Dakota, any Great Plains state) isn't like that either.

Growing up, I always considered the Plains part of the Midwest, but now that I live in the Plains (and yes, western Minnesota is very much part of the Great Plains), I can see the difference. Really, the Great Plains should be its own region, or Michigan/Ohio/Indiana should be thrown in with the Northeast. For example, western MN is much more like Kansas or Nebraska (or even eastern Colorado) than it is like Minneapolis-St. Paul, Duluth, Rochester or any areas on the east side of Minnesota, which are much more Great Lakes - eastern Midwest areas like Michigan.

The way I see it:

Western Minnesota, South Dakota, western Iowa, northwest Missouri (including Kansas City), Nebraska, Kansas, eastern Colorado, eastern Wyoming and eastern and central Montana are all part of one region (the Great Plains).

Eastern and central Minnesota, eastern Iowa, northern and central Illinois, Wisconsin, northeast Missouri (including St. Louis), northern and central Indiana, Michigan and northern and central Ohio are all part of one region (the Great Lakes). The term "Midwest" could apply to either of these regions, but it doesn't make sense to group them together.
Generally agree. The Great Plains should be its own entirely separate region apart from the Midwest. If you analyze how the Midwest developed in an economic and historic sense it was MUCH DIFFERENT compared to the Great Plains. THe Midwest in the late 1800s and early 1900s had a very strong heavy industrial, manufacturing, foundry, and factory economy that attracted a lot of European migration to the large urban centres of Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincinnatti, St. Louis, etc. In contrast, most areas of the Great Plains, excluding urban areas, had far little in the way of migration during this key time period. The explanation is basically one of geographic location. The Great Plains was always more peripheral and isolated. However, it served as the agricultural hinterlands that served as the supply chain for finished agricultural products and processing in the large urban centres. This is why cities like Chicago and Kansas City had their big stockyards right in the heavy industrial areas of town near rail access. It wasn't until the 1970s that these stockyards (commercial ag complex) relocated and set up shop out in the Plains where they could escape "regulations" and find even lower cost labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top