U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 PM

252 posts, read 856,891 times

Advertisements

What's St. Louis? The accent reminds me of Chicago. It's certainly not a neutral accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:31 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,719,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.LA View Post
What's St. Louis? The accent reminds me of Chicago. It's certainly not a neutral accent.
STL is right where it needs to be, right in the heart of the Midwest. Our accents are nothing like Chicago's. Of course, to my ears, there is no accent. I can always tell another STLouisan by the lack of accent.
As far as the map goes, I agree with most of it, however, there are is a county down in the Bootheel region of Mo that should be taken out, Butler County, to be exact. Its just as Southern as Memphis.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 AM

689 posts, read 1,209,919 times
To me, the STL accent sounds like a watered down Chicago accent. It's usually slight, but it can be recognizable.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:07 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,046,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Colorado is a Western state, BUT the parts of Colorado included in this map are quite Midwestern in their feeling... Very plains-y and farm-y.
Some might argue that parts of KS are very Western in their feeling, very plains-y and ranch-y.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,046,541 times
I agree generally with the map, except the part about "Canadian-influenced". What kind of influences, cultural? musical? culinary? societal? economic? The only parts of the US where I saw what might be considered Canadian influences were in northern New England and far northern NY, due to the large numbers of French-Canadians who live there. In the midwest, I can think of no place where there is Canadian influence.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:34 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,865,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
To me, the STL accent sounds like a watered down Chicago accent. It's usually slight, but it can be recognizable.
I hear something different and you don't always hear it these days in StL, but I do hear it amongst my in-laws. I don't know where else you would hear 44, for instance, pronounced "farty-far." And that's a classic StL accent. I can hear it on local commercials on KMOX.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Perfect! You totally nailed the Midwest, especially the boundary between the Upper Midwest and the Midland. Much of your "Lower Midwest" could also be considered the Upper South, but it still fits.

Only change would be I wouldn't include eastern Colorado - it's a Western state.
Not really man. Those areas of the Lower Midwest, while they do have strong Southern influences, are just not the same as the Upper South. The cultural differences between the Upper South and the Lower Midwest are pretty noticeable, especially where the accents, lifestyle, flora, and fauna are concerned. For example, Springfield, MO and Joplin, MO and Tulsa, Oklahoma and Oklahoma City are far less culturally and dialectually southern than Louisville and Lexington. And they are noticeably different from most of Arkansas. I don't know how else to explain it except by feel. The Lower Midwest I would prefer to just call the transition zone, which is perfectly highlighted on this map. I think that's it actually. The Upper South does not have nearly as many Midwestern influences as the region highlighted in pink.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Yeah, I totally agree. My dad has a friend who I thought was from St. Louis for quite awhile because of his accent until he told me he was from Chicago. St. Louis I wouldn't say is in the heart of the Midwest. It's in the heart of the COUNTRY. Chicago is in the heart of the Midwest. St. Louis is right where it belongs on this map, in the bottom of that yellow area. However I don't agree about Cincinnati's location. It should be highlighted in yellow, as it is without a doubt Midwestern. I would basically highlight most of the Northern half of Kentucky above Interstate 64 and the Louisville, Frankfort and Lexington metro areas as being in the same pink zone.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I hear something different and you don't always hear it these days in StL, but I do hear it amongst my in-laws. I don't know where else you would hear 44, for instance, pronounced "farty-far." And that's a classic StL accent. I can hear it on local commercials on KMOX.
Yeah, but other than that it's not really that great a difference.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:46 PM

604 posts, read 1,666,314 times
North Dakota isn't really liberal...
and i agree the "rust belt" should be it's own region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.