U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:51 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times

Advertisements

I think your map is pretty much spot on. But I'd put more of Missouri down in the southern tier, but it's complicated. the Missouri Ozarks, south of route 66, is probably less southern than the northeast and northwest corners.

To give true form to your map, you'd also have to have at least one vertical line, separating the heavy industrial from the agriculturea. Ashtabula Ohio has never had much in common with Mitchell South Dakota.

I would put that line through Lake Michigan, down through Green Bay and the Fox Valley, the west side of Lake Winnebago, just west of Milwaukee and Chicago, and across near the Lakeshores to the Pennsylvania line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,569,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
and i agree the "rust belt" should be it's own region.
No, it shoudn't. You cant compare Massachusetts with Wisconsin, but both are considered "rust belt."

Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 PM

604 posts, read 1,666,715 times
MA isn't part of the rust belt. And you can compare them. Both are liberal, have a medium sized city (as their main city), are close to other cities and rural areas, are northern and cold. They both have large bodies of water to the east etc...

Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think your map is pretty much spot on. But I'd put more of Missouri down in the southern tier, but it's complicated. the Missouri Ozarks, south of route 66, is probably less southern than the northeast and northwest corners.

To give true form to your map, you'd also have to have at least one vertical line, separating the heavy industrial from the agriculturea. Ashtabula Ohio has never had much in common with Mitchell South Dakota.

I would put that line through Lake Michigan, down through Green Bay and the Fox Valley, the west side of Lake Winnebago, just west of Milwaukee and Chicago, and across near the Lakeshores to the Pennsylvania line.
You're joking right? The Northeast and Northwest corners? Those are SOLIDLY Midwestern. Those so-called corners are not too different from Central Illinois, Northeast Kansas, Southeastern Nebraska, and Southwestern Iowa. Nothing southern about them. It sounds like you almost want to put just about the whole damn thing in the southern tier.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I hear something different and you don't always hear it these days in StL, but I do hear it amongst my in-laws. I don't know where else you would hear 44, for instance, pronounced "farty-far." And that's a classic StL accent. I can hear it on local commercials on KMOX.
Listen to St. Louisan Chuck Berry pronounce "morning" when he sings "Sweet Little 16":
Oh, but tomorrow >marnin'<,
She'll have to change her trend
And be sweet sixteen,
And back in class again

Be proud, St Louis

Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,596,750 times
Hmmmm ... could Missouri and Oklahoma be put in the same class?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:07 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
The Census puts Oklahoma in the West South Central (IMO pretty much spot on) with TX, AR, and LA. Culturally, Oklahoma would have much more in common with these states, especially TX and AR.

There certainly could be a case made that extreme NE Oklahoma is similar to Branson and on into the Bootheel, which from my experience seems pretty Southern.

In terms of differences, Oklahoma as a whole state is much more Southern when compared to Missouri. In the few areas in Oklahoma that are not 100% Southern there would be more Western flavor (Cowboy culture), while the vast majority of Missouri would clearly have more of a Midwestern feel.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
NO!!! Oklahoma and Missouri are not even close to being in the same class. Oklahoma doesn't have a whole of Midwestern anything to it. They are about as different as two states can get. Oklahoma shares a bit of the Ozarks, but less than 1/5 of the state has them. Other than, it's a completely different state. If you ask me, Oklahoma is more on par with Texas than any other state.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,203,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
No, it shoudn't. You cant compare Massachusetts with Wisconsin, but both are considered "rust belt."
EAHHHHHHHHHHHYYAHAHH
That is just offensive.

you should probably look up "rust belt"

Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 87,376 times
I've never thought of Oklahoma as the Midwest. I don't see why people think this. It seems very Southern to me. Missouri on the other hand seems split between the Midwest and the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.