U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:36 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,030,171 times

Advertisements

Mimzy,

FYI there is a cultural dividing line within your N. Midwest designation between industrial areas (former, now) like Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, and areas to the North, like Green Bay, Traverse City, or Wausau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 01:03 PM

20,876 posts, read 36,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Mimzy,

FYI there is a cultural dividing line within your N. Midwest designation between industrial areas (former, now) like Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, and areas to the North, like Green Bay, Traverse City, or Wausau.
I thought Wausau had some light manufacturing along with a paper mill?

Old 04-25-2009, 01:13 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,030,171 times
It does (did, the way things are going).

But it was not solely industrial like the big cities of the Southern Lakes.

It had a much less diverse ethnic mix, as did most of the north.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:26 PM

5,417 posts, read 7,727,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Oklahoma doesnt seem southern at all to me except the far SE corner. The NE corner of OK definitely feels Midwestern to me, as does parts of central OK. SW OK and the Panhandle feel different than the Midwest.
Interesting. I've spent almost all my life in Oklahoma and been to pretty much every part of the state and my experience is quite divergent from yours. Would you consider Arkansas or Texas the Midwest too? (I hope not, LOL.) Culturally, there is not a lot of difference between these states and Oklahoma as I have spent a lot of time in Texas and Arkansas. In fact, as I'm sure you know, the Census places Oklahoma culturally/geographically in a subregion of the South called the West South Central: File:Census Regions and Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The NE corner of Oklahoma seems to have genuine Southern culture (primarily twangy speech, food choices, and Bible Belt mentality) from all the relatives that I know/have from that area of the state. I was raised in south-central Oklahoma and I can honestly say that it feels very Southern to me in comparison to other Southern states. If Mississippi, Georgia (been to both), and Alabama (haven't been, going on what I've heard from others that were born there or have visited there) were a 10 on Southerness then IMO Oklahoma would be about a 5 or 6.

Certainly, Oklahoma is a watered-down version of the Deep South. Oklahoma, however, is very different from true/undebatable Midwestern states. For example, I've been to Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Ohio, Missouri, (about 99% of Missouri clearly leans Midwestern in feel to me with the exception of the Branson area and the Bootheel) and Oklahoma is culturally not like these states, while it may share some topographical traits.

You are the first person from a true Midwestern state (IL) that I've ever heard call Oklahoma more Midwestern. The only other 2 people I've ever heard call OK Midwestern were from California when I lived on the West coast. 99% of the other Californians I knew thought of OK as Southern. When I lived in New England everyone I ran into thought of OK as the South....which was confirmed by my thick Oklahoma twang, unfortunately. LOL. And finally, from the Midwestern states that I've spent time in (mentioned above) you are the first to ever call OK Midwestern in my experience.

I appreciate your opinion, though. I just find it quite different from my own experience and the corroborating experiences of others I've come into contact around the country.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 04-25-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 03:05 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,024,722 times
I have relatives in NE OK, between Tulsa & the Arkansas border. The culture/accent is very Southern, the Native Americans even have Southern accents. The landscape looks Western or Midwestern, lots of ranches. Most people go to high school football games on friday night, party on saturday night, and go to church on sunday morning. I also remember seeing a lot of Confederate flags. Yes, cowboy culture is kinda big there, but it's not uncommon to see cowboy hats & cowboy boots here in TN either.

and let me remind you of all the country singers from OK:
Garth Brooks
Reba McEntire
Blake Shelton
Toby Keith
Vince Gill
Ronnie Dunn from "Brooks and Dunn"
Carrie Underwood

Norma Jean
Roy Clark- also hosted the show "Hee Haw"

Oklahoma is the state with the 3rd highest percentage of Southern Baptists, even beating Tennessee:
http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_sbc.html

Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 PM

5,417 posts, read 7,727,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I have relatives in NE OK, between Tulsa & the Arkansas border. The culture/accent is very Southern, the Native Americans even have Southern accents. The landscape looks Western or Midwestern, lots of ranches. Most people go to high school football games on friday night, party on saturday night, and go to church on sunday morning. I also remember seeing a lot of Confederate flags. Yes, cowboy culture is kinda big there, but it's not uncommon to see cowboy hats & cowboy boots here in TN either.

and let me remind you of all the country singers from OK:
Garth Brooks
Reba McEntire
Blake Shelton
Toby Keith
Vince Gill
Ronnie Dunn from "Brooks and Dunn"
Carrie Underwood

Norma Jean
Roy Clark- also hosted the show "Hee Haw"

Oklahoma is the state with the 3rd highest percentage of Southern Baptists, even beating Tennessee:
http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_sbc.html
Wow. Excellent points Smtchll! I often forget of how many country music stars are from Oklahoma. That's an amazing fact....to have so many country musicians.....considering the small overall population of Oklahoma.

And yes, I happen to be a Southern Baptist myself as well as the vast majority of my family and extended family. I guess I'm just the typical Okie, LOL!

Old 04-25-2009, 03:45 PM

87,079 posts, read 102,815,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Interesting. So ND is about 2/3 eastern and 1/3 western?
If western ND is western, ALL of Colorado is western, not midwestern.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:51 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,590,192 times
Yeah, Oklahoma is the SOUTH. No doubt about it. Also, so are southern areas of Kansas and Missouri.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,791,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Yeah, Oklahoma is the SOUTH. No doubt about it. Also, so are southern areas of Kansas and Missouri.
Huh? Kansas southern? I soooooooo dont think so!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:36 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Interesting. I've spent almost all my life in Oklahoma and been to pretty much every part of the state and my experience is quite divergent from yours. Would you consider Arkansas or Texas the Midwest too? (I hope not, LOL.) Culturally, there is not a lot of difference between these states and Oklahoma as I have spent a lot of time in Texas and Arkansas. In fact, as I'm sure you know, the Census places Oklahoma culturally/geographically in a subregion of the South called the West South Central: File:Census Regions and Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The NE corner of Oklahoma seems to have genuine Southern culture (primarily twangy speech, food choices, and Bible Belt mentality) from all the relatives that I know/have from that area of the state. I was raised in south-central Oklahoma and I can honestly say that it feels very Southern to me in comparison to other Southern states. If Mississippi, Georgia (been to both), and Alabama (haven't been, going on what I've heard from others that were born there or have visited there) were a 10 on Southerness then IMO Oklahoma would be about a 5 or 6.

Certainly, Oklahoma is a watered-down version of the Deep South. Oklahoma, however, is very different from true/undebatable Midwestern states. For example, I've been to Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Ohio, Missouri, (about 99% of Missouri clearly leans Midwestern in feel to me with the exception of the Branson area and the Bootheel) and Oklahoma is culturally not like these states, while it may share some topographical traits.

You are the first person from a true Midwestern state (IL) that I've ever heard call Oklahoma more Midwestern. The only other 2 people I've ever heard call OK Midwestern were from California when I lived on the West coast. 99% of the other Californians I knew thought of OK as Southern. When I lived in New England everyone I ran into thought of OK as the South....which was confirmed by my thick Oklahoma twang, unfortunately. LOL. And finally, from the Midwestern states that I've spent time in (mentioned above) you are the first to ever call OK Midwestern in my experience.

I appreciate your opinion, though. I just find it quite different from my own experience and the corroborating experiences of others I've come into contact around the country.
Its not just the people that made NE OK feel Midwestern, it was the scenery, the weather, etc. Its not far from Joplin, which also feels solidly Midwestern to me. Sure there is a slight twang in some locals, but you also hear that in Southern IL and Southern IN, which are also solidly Midwestern. Youre confusing Southern touches with pure Southern influence, big difference! I can visit southern IL and feel the Southern touches, but its NOT Southern Georgia!

I also stated that NE OK feels Midwestern, but the rest of the state doesnt. Did you miss that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.