U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 08:19 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times

Advertisements

Part of me says to include NYS west of Syracuse as part the Midwest.

East Colorado should also be midwestern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 AM

31 posts, read 137,733 times
Yes and so should Oklahoma, especially Tulsa. But I know that many people will disagree with me on here and claim that it's ALL southern when we have so many midwestern influences. But unlike them, I was born and raised here and a lot of people in Tulsa, as well as people from out-of-state and some international people (who have lived here for a while), would agree that Oklahoma is a midwest state. The U.S. Census bureau also had some recent changes to their maps to add sections to each of their regions—and it looks like both Oklahoma and Arkansas are both considered midwestern:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...au_Regions.svg

Old 11-07-2010, 01:22 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer_22 View Post
Yes and so should Oklahoma, especially Tulsa. But I know that many people will disagree with me on here and claim that it's ALL southern when we have so many midwestern influences. But unlike them, I was born and raised here and a lot of people in Tulsa, as well as people from out-of-state and some international people (who have lived here for a while), would agree that Oklahoma is a midwest state. The U.S. Census bureau also had some recent changes to their maps to add sections to each of their regions—and it looks like both Oklahoma and Arkansas are both considered midwestern:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...au_Regions.svg
maybe the people in the city of Tulsa don't want to be associated with the South, but I know plenty of people in the rural areas around Tulsa who consider themselves Southern.

I don't see how a place where people say "yall" drink sweet tea, and go to Southern Baptist churches (a large percentage of the population) is anything but Southern.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:57 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,462,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You live in Minnesota and that is the very heart of the upper midwest. It is more upper midwestern than Mi or Wi and I will concede that. However if you say the only parts of wi that are upper midwest are similar latitudes as the bottom of Mn, then extend that line into Mi as well and you are south of US 10. Just barley north of Flint and Grand Rapids to be exact. About 43 degrees north to be very exact. Having been all over Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota before Ive never noticed that much of an accent difference between them. All three states have pockets of much stronger accents, but they are all similar. Here in Michigan its the yooper accent centered around Marquette and houghton. The strong accents in Mn and Wi seem to be in the northern areas as well. Only southeast Michigan really has that differnt ohio type accent you talk about. I know this is true because my speech helped me blow a job interview down there once. The interviewer told me I had a very "northern" sounding accent. I suppose that is the difference you are talking about. I guess that is one of the reasons I am disputing your dividing line. I really do believe it is more along I 96, or at the least I 69. Go visit Frankenmuth Michigan and tell me that place feels lower midwest.
Okay, being from Michigan, I agree with both of you - to an extent. I think there's a line at US-10, but I think it's more of an Up North-downstate dividing line than a Midwestern cultural region dividing line. The northern part of the Lower Peninsula is heavily influenced by tourism, camping, hunting lodges, etc. from the southern part of the state and I'd hardly call them culturally different. Traverse City, for example, seems a lot more similar to Grand Rapids or even the western Detroit suburbs than it does to Minneapolis, for example. Once you get up towards the Mackinac Bridge, it starts to transition into a true upper Midwest culture that I don't think is fully realized until about you get into the central Upper Peninsula.

I also agree that things start getting a little fuzzy south of I-94. There are definitely signs of things further north there, but there's also a lot of influence from Indiana and Ohio.

Then again, that's the fun of coming up with regions, right?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:35 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Part of me says to include NYS west of Syracuse as part the Midwest.
All of me says your wrong!

Old 11-07-2010, 12:12 PM

This discussion is going to continue for a long time, lol. And once again, not everyone here says "y'all" or drinks sweet tea. The southern Baptist church movement (or the Bible Belt) also goes into parts of Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana yet no one considers those states to be southern.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:22 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,595,362 times
if anything, i would say the south extends into kansas...

Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Quote:
This discussion is going to continue for a long time, lol. And once again, not everyone here says "y'all" or drinks sweet tea. The southern Baptist church movement (or the Bible Belt) also goes into parts of Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana yet no one considers those states to be southern.
Not quite true. Missouri? Yes. But not Kansas, Illinois and Indiana. Per capita, Oklahoma is one of the "strongest" Southern Baptist states of all.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...on/baptist.gif

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-07-2010 at 01:38 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Quote:
not everyone here in Memphis says "yall" or drinks sweet tea either. But the fact that "yall" is not uncommon, and sweet tea is readily available are Southern traits. You'd also finds these in Tulsa.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Some of it does go into Kansas, TexasReb. Anyway, I still consider Oklahoma as a midwest state but to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.