U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I always wondered if Chicago was considered upper Midwest. The culture and climate is so much different compared to say Cairo, Illinois. But I'm sure International Falls is way different than say Minneapolis.

As for Oklahoma. It's a Southern state with alot of Midwestern characteristics. Same with North Texas (including DFW) and the Panhandle (though I consider the Panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma Midwestern today). DFW (outside of East Fort Worth and South and Southeast Dallas) is starting to feel more like Kansas City and Omaha and less like Shreveport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 PM

31 posts, read 137,777 times
Now that I could agree with except I believe OK is a lower midwest state but close.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:15 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times
Chicago is NOT the Upper Midwest. It's classic Lower Midwest, similar to Detroit, Cleveland and St. Louis. The Upper Midwest is Minnesota, Michigan's UP, northern and central Wisconsin, North Dakota and the northern two-thirds of South Dakota.

I'm sorry archer, but Oklahoma is the south. I don't see how it's even a debate -- Oklahoma is definitely south, bordering on Deep South. It's at the same latitude as Georgia and Mississippi. Oklahomans have a thick southern accent and love NASCAR and college football. OK is known for its far-right wing politics (every county voted Republican in the last two elections). It's far more like Texas or Arkansas than Minnesota or Michigan. There's nothing wrong with the south: it's a great region of the country. Oklahomans should be proud to be southern.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer_22 View Post
Now that I could agree with except I believe OK is a lower midwest state but close.
Tell me how the state with the 3rd highest percentage of Southern Baptists is not Southern? Maybe it just has a negative connotation where you live, but that doesn't mean that it's not the South.

And if you wanna bring MO into this, MO has half the percentage of Southern Baptist that OK has.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Chicago is NOT the Upper Midwest. It's classic Lower Midwest, similar to Detroit, Cleveland and St. Louis. The Upper Midwest is Minnesota, Michigan's UP, northern and central Wisconsin, North Dakota and the northern two-thirds of South Dakota.

I'm sorry archer, but Oklahoma is the south. I don't see how it's even a debate -- Oklahoma is definitely south, bordering on Deep South. It's at the same latitude as Georgia and Mississippi. Oklahomans have a thick southern accent and love NASCAR and college football. OK is known for its far-right wing politics (every county voted Republican in the last two elections). It's far more like Texas or Arkansas than Minnesota or Michigan. There's nothing wrong with the south: it's a great region of the country. Oklahomans should be proud to be southern.
Have you ever been here? I mean that because you make like you know everything about OK when you clearly don't. Not everyone here watches NASCAR, that's more in the southeast part of the U.S. And only the lower half of the state is at the northern latitude of GA and MS. And we DO NOT have a thick southern accent. I'm not making this a debate but I'm only pointing out the things you're slightly off on. Stop making these generalizations because it definitely sounds like you've NEVER been here.

And btw, Chicago is in the upper Midwest.

Link: http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ap-midwest.jpg

Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Tell me how the state with the 3rd highest percentage of Southern Baptists is not Southern? Maybe it just has a negative connotation where you live, but that doesn't mean that it's not the South.

And if you wanna bring MO into this, MO has half the percentage of Southern Baptist that OK has.
Ok, it's still southern baptist though.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer_22 View Post
Ok, it's still southern baptist though.
Then MO is half as Southern as OK is

Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Default I'm going to throw in some math to explain my point

The center of the contiguous U.S. should also be in Delaware, OK because of all the math involved; Northwest Angle, MN is 49.25N and Ballast Key, FL is 24.33N. Add those two together and divide them by 2, you'll get 36.79 N. West Quoddy Head, ME is 66.58W, and the Bodelteh Islands, WA is 124.75 W. Add those two together and and divide by two (again) and you'll get approx. 95.67 W. The closest town that matches 36.79 N and 95.67 W is Delaware, Oklahoma. The reason I point this out is because the center of the contiguous (48) United States determines the middle part, thus, the Midwest. Geographically, OK is in the midwest. That could determine why the U.S. Census Bureau recently placed Oklahoma there. Culturally, it's a mix of southern AND midwestern. Can we all (even SORT of) agree now?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Interesting. I always wondered if Chicago was considered upper Midwest. The culture and climate is so much different compared to say Cairo, Illinois. But I'm sure International Falls is way different than say Minneapolis.

As for Oklahoma. It's a Southern state with alot of Midwestern characteristics. Same with North Texas (including DFW) and the Panhandle (though I consider the Panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma Midwestern today). DFW (outside of East Fort Worth and South and Southeast Dallas) is starting to feel more like Kansas City and Omaha and less like Shreveport.
Actually it seems places like DFW, OKC, KC, and Omaha are becoming more of their own seperate group of cities that are different from Midwestern or Southern cities. It seems Omaha and KC are becoming very different the last 20 or so years from most Midwestern cities for various reasons.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:30 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post

Lower Midwest is not Detroit, Chicago, or Cleveland. Those are Great Lakes or Central Midwest. Lower Midwest would be St. Louis though along with KC, Cincinnatti, Indianapolis, and Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.