U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,595,362 times

Advertisements

1. Upper Midwest - near Canada/Great Lakes, has Canadian and Nordic cultural influence. More liberal and urban.

2. Midland - the heart of the Midwest. Very flat, lots of corn and soybeans, neutral accent.

3. Lower Midwest - more hills and trees, Southern drawl in some areas, more conservative.
Attached Thumbnails
My explanation of the Midwest by map-midwest.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
Perfect! You totally nailed the Midwest, especially the boundary between the Upper Midwest and the Midland. Much of your "Lower Midwest" could also be considered the Upper South, but it still fits.

Only change would be I wouldn't include eastern Colorado - it's a Western state.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,885,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Only change would be I wouldn't include eastern Colorado - it's a Western state.
Colorado is a Western state, BUT the parts of Colorado included in this map are quite Midwestern in their feeling... Very plains-y and farm-y.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,748 times
[grabs popcorn]
This should be interesting.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,565,301 times
It's so true that the Midwest needs to be broken down into sub-regions.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Yes, Colorado is a western state. The whole state. For one thing, western Colorado is closer to Denver than the nearest big cities in the midwest, Omaha and Kansas City.

I disagree with the northern midwest category. Not that it doesn't exist, but northern Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and all of Michigan are probably their own cateagory eintirely. They are not particularly Nordic or Canadian, IMO. Michigan may be a little Canadian, but certainly not the other three, which are separated from Canada by a great lake (Ohio) and other states (Ind. and Ill.) Michigan has a large Dutch influence. Also disagree that the western Dakotas and western Nebraska are NOT the midwest, espeically as you include western Colorado in the midwest.

Also, many people in Kansas have drawly accents.

W. Virginia is mid-Atlantic. All of it. You can't take out a few counties.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
Good map.

One quibble: considering we're below the Mason-Dixon and our Southern culture, the Okies I know consider ourselves more Southern than "Midwestern." Culturally Oklahoma is much more akin to North Texas/East Texas and Arkansas than say Kansas/Nebraska/Missouri....just FYI.

The Census does a pretty good job of placing us in a subregion of the South known as the West South Central: File:Census Regions and Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It's a watered-down version of the Deep South if that provides some clarification.

Probably a better argument would be if Oklahoma is more "Western" (as in Ranch & Rural...not Californian, LOL) vs. "Southern."

Otherwise, a very good map.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:16 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,949,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
1. Upper Midwest - near Canada/Great Lakes, has Canadian and Nordic cultural influence. More liberal and urban.

2. Midland - the heart of the Midwest. Very flat, lots of corn and soybeans, neutral accent.

3. Lower Midwest - more hills and trees, Southern drawl in some areas, more conservative.
I agree with bass and catfish but it looks good!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:46 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Good map.

One quibble: considering we're below the Mason-Dixon and our Southern culture, the Okies I know consider ourselves more Southern than "Midwestern." Culturally Oklahoma is much more akin to North Texas/East Texas and Arkansas than say Kansas/Nebraska/Missouri....just FYI.

The Census does a pretty good job of placing us in a subregion of the South known as the West South Central: File:Census Regions and Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It's a watered-down version of the Deep South if that provides some clarification.

Otherwise, a very good map.
I agree, my friend. Great map for sure! But I would quibble just a bit with bringing the "Midwest" so far south into Oklahoma. At most, I would say (not that it matters! LOL) it would stop somewhere in the Kansas border area counties...

Old 04-18-2009, 11:06 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,240 times
way too big. I would think Omaha is a western boundary for the Midwest. (Unless we decide Plains isn't a region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.