U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:11 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,904,846 times

Advertisements

Yes, the west is experiencing a great deal of growth, and for the most part the infrastructure can't handle it. I was living in tiny Taos (NM) and boy did we feel it. New condos every month, only one road into and out of town, insufficient services to support the growing population, and worst of all, fear of losing water rights and the availability of this precious commodity in a dry state. Folks never stopped talking about it!

Issues about county and town services was top on the list of complaints--and most often the strife and difficult was laid at the feet of wealthy newcomers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
I would say that in Montana, most people are starting to really dislike newcomers, as it is really impacting the cost of living and culture of a few of the more popular areas. We have the most expensive home in the world being built in SW Montana at the exclusive Yellowstone Club for only $155 Million. With a real working-class bunch of natives, this influx of celebrities and high rollers is not going over well...especially the concept of people who use Montana as a second home. People here have an outright disdain for people from California and the East Coast, but they will typically welcome folks from other areas of the Intermountain West or the Midwest with open arms.

I think a lot of states in the west probaby are experiencing rapid growth situation with people bringing different, more "city-fied" values. I think the west has always been sort of all about "live and let live" and has been reluctant to accept a lot of constraints on personal liberties. We also really value land and public access. When people come in from other areas, they change the dynamic of interaction between neighbors and interaction between individuals and the government. Westerners have also been really leery of federal laws and want more states' rights. We also have large water issues in the Intermountain West. We're all kind of feeling similar growing pains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 AM
KGR

12 posts, read 33,270 times
In 1971, Oregon Governor Tom McCall stated in an interview that he wanted people to come visit Oregon "but for heaven's sake, don't move here to live". I think this sentiment is still true for most native Oregonians. Does this make Oregon the state that dislikes newcomers the most? Perhaps. But if reading the boards from other states is any indication, I think this holds true for most any state.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:51 AM

283 posts, read 1,087,826 times
Default Can't always judge by state

I don't think it can really be broken down by state on the east coast with such heavy population counts. For the most part I would have to say any rural area feels like newcomers are just messing up the lives the live and do not want change. That's why they moved into the country to begin with, thinking that they could be in the country for at least the rest of thier life. But this too doesn't always hold true. Douglas/Coffee County, GA is probably one of the most welcoming of small country towns I have ever been too. While the community can seem a little brash at times; they can't stay away from you, wanting to know every detail about your life. When you try to leave they come up with excuses to keep you around, even it means inviting you home for dinner. The city and county government works really hard to get and keep any all new businesses/industries. But in stark comparison the town right next door Ocilla/Irwin County absoulutely hates any outsiders and they don't mind telling ya either. They will of course ensure that a well planted knife is in your back, just before twisting it, they ask you to leave, again. Shame they got me to leave, kept the property though and brought them in about about 1000 new residents from my subdivision that was supposed to only contain one farm house. Amazing what people's attitudes toward change causes, Huh? Hope y'all like all my "yankee" friends Ocilla. By the way a new 4 lane going right through downtown and a perimeter from Tifton should be coming in on your southwest side real soon. With populations so small in these types of towns they really should check their attitudes, someday a new person with a vision, a little bit money and vengence just might stop in for BBQ.

By the way; I wanted to be one of those people that was moving to country in hopes of keeping it country for the rest of my life. I was real suprised just how easy it was to advertise a place with nothing more than a dirt road subdivision, 1/2 acre lots and the nicest housing in the county. At that time you didn't even have to get approval through county or city for such as this. Much has since changed but it is still extremely easy to do this here. If anyone else desires to help them grow all new the people has changed its attitude somewhat and most now desire a nice golf course community on the west side of the county somewhat close to I75 The east side enjoys the same but demands highend housing not just likes it. The south side still remains generally rural and north is generally poor. Poor area is really kind of a triangle following its main north south corridor to its main east west corridor go to the government housing at the city limits sign and work your way back up to the county line where you started. Everyone else seems to be doing alright financially. But local residents aren't who is going to buy from you, it will be all from quickly growing Douglas, Tifton and Valdosta all 30-60 minutes away.

Last edited by pickleswanson; 04-02-2007 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: add note

Old 04-02-2007, 07:30 AM

30,178 posts, read 67,314,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I think where you are from has a lot to do with it. Here in Pa., where I live, they dislike NY and NJ people, but move from Florida, or Alabama, or Texas, I honestly don't think they care.
After 13 years I still haven't come up with a tactful, but not terribly rude comment to my fellow Pennsylvanians when they tell me that I'm not like most NYers, "we dont mean 'you'", when speaking bad about them or when they tell me I am one of them now. These comments are from people I know and love like family.
Considering I only live a half-hour away from I LOVE PA, I can confirm these allegations. Locals have the perspective that any new residents to our region from NYC/NJ are here to do one of the following evil deeds:

1.) Deal drugs
2.) Build McMansions
3.) Make fun of the natives
4.) All of the above

Do I have this perspective? No. In fact, my peer group is likely the most open-minded, liberal generation to have ever hit this nation. Those of us who are younger don't care where you move here from; all we know is that we're thrilled to see new residents moving in after many decades of a steep population decline. However, most of the "old-timers" are the ones to be vigilant of---the same locals who claim to be in the "greatest generation" are also the same ones who will badmouth you behind your back for being black, gay, Hispanic, non-Christian, or, gasp, even a NJ/NYC native.

I welcome everyone to Eastern PA with open arms. I realize that tensions will continue to flare up as our population starts what will likely become a steep rise as Monroe County continues to become overpopulated, but I try to look at fresh faces as being "new oportunities", NOT as "new threats." If I were to do a SWOT analysis on Scranton, for example, I'd include the new transplants pouring in from NYC/NJ as being opportunities for economic revival, not threats to our laid-back quality-of-life (which isn't so laid-back anymore, in case you rat-race locals haven't noticed!)

Old 04-02-2007, 01:53 PM

373 posts, read 1,704,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
From lorelei2873:

How interesting! Here are the population stats for Billings, the biggest city in Montana:

Place of birth:
Montana: 57%
Northeast: 3%
Midwest: 17%
South
(presumably includes southeast) 4%
West (includes intermtn as well as 16%
CA, WA, OR)

So the out of staters you well welcome with open arms are the ones causing the most "problems" in terms of numbers.
That argument doesn't even make sense because I didn't indicate that people from a certain area were causing a problem. I just feel that people around here tend to welcome people from some areas more than other. You don't live anywhere near me, so it's really doesn't make any sense for you to argue a perspective or an opinion on how people in my state think. It's an opinion, and you don't have standing to have one on what people in Montana think unless you live here. I would have no interest in trying to determine what people in your area think. Plus, Billings is very far from the areas of the state where the most growth is occurring. This state is huge. You could fit a couple of most states in here.

The issue is values, not place of origin.

Are you cyber-stalking me? I know I seemed to upset you on a different page, but you don't have to go around looking up anecdotal (because it's based on one city) research and trying to argue with me. I would like to avoid talking to you anymore on any forum and would hope you would do the same. I will avoid responding to your posts from here on out. I like to have a pleasant experience having discourse with a variety of folks and don't like to be followed around from forum to forum or thread by thread by someone who is angry with me. I promise to leave you alone if you do the same.

Last edited by lorelei2873; 04-02-2007 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 02:03 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,407,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I would say this one is easy North Dakota.

They are very open about their disdain of new-comers. One would think the nation's most stagnant state population wise would be different and would welcome newcomers.

Parts of North Dakota have had a 80% population decline and the people of that state like it that way. They would rather the stores close and they have to drive an hour to the store then have some new-comers move into the tundra of the -60 wind chill north.

Honorable mention: Iowa
Pennsylvania - They'll gladly take your money, but would rather you're not here. The most unfriendly people I have ever encountered in all my travels.

Yes, there are some exceptions, but they're rare. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should move down south to NC, SC, or GA, or just head back to NY and DEAL with the cost of living. As for PA, I have no use for this state at all.

~TT

Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,784,003 times
When I first moved to Pa., I was shocked beyond words when I found out that I was disliked because I came from NY. Sweet me disliked? I just couldn't understand it. Within weeks of moving here I felt the effects. When I tried to get car insurance at a local insurance agency just a few weeks after starting work in a local bank, they told me that they could'nt insure me because "My car was garaged in the city" When I asked what city that may be, they told me NY. I said to the girl "I'm sorry, you must be mistaken, my husband commutes to L.I., not N.Y.C." She responded with, "whatever". I had never told her he commuted to NY, the locals at the bank had already taken care of that for me.
Thank goodness the community I live in is predominately people from NY, and NJ, so I could actually make friends who would not judge me this way. Eventually I earned the locals trust, still not sure how to take that.
I also came across teachers in the school who had ingnorant comments as well. While volunteering at the school library one day with a fellow NYer, the librarian interupted our conversation and asked "Can I ask what makes all you NYers want to move here in the first place, we didn't have a murder in this County till you started moving in" I politely told her that if I had known what a wonderful reception I was going to get when I came here, I would have stayed in NY. Some people were brutal, others were very nice. I never let the negative comments get to me, hey my grandfather and grandmother were born and raised in Pennsylvania, my grandfather was a coal miner as well as his brothers. I have just as much a right to be here as any local.
ANYWAY.....13 years later I do love to pick on the NY accents!!! And I do love Pa, and will stay for a long time, I plan on following my kids wherever they go so who knows what life will bring me?

Old 04-02-2007, 05:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,752,725 times
Yeah, PA is in a world of it's own...but I can't say everyone was nasty. I try to take people as individuals not some 'collective.' I would like others to do that as well.

Being FROM NY and you get the kind of reception I LOVE PA is talking about..everyone assumes if you say you are from NY that means NYC. They assume you are crass, loud, rich, a snob or whatever the going sterotype is...

When we moved to Central PA someone said to my husband "You drove through Brooklyn and didn't get shot??" Let me tell you something, going to Harrisburg was 100x more dangerous than any trip I ever made into NYC...!

I think people from NY get bad raps. It's sort of some horrid stereotype you have to disprove. Not only is it hard to relocate, do it from NY and you also have a monkey on your back about being some sort of street thug, loud mouth or wealthy person. You have to fight to establish you are just a normal person who wants a nice quiet life somewhere less expensive.

I don't have any money for a bungalow, so I won't be building a McMansion when I move.

So, from this NYer soon to be moving 'somewhere' give us a break. Yes, there are a lot obnoxious and crass NYers, but there are also a heck of a lot of nice ones who just want to fit in.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:36 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,542,763 times
All states seem to dislike newcomers from California! That's what I'm seeing on these forums and have had a few situations in Texas. Fortunately for them though, I'm moving back to California!!!

BTW, I like NYers!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,784,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yeah, PA is in a world of it's own...but I can't say everyone was nasty. I try to take people as individuals not some 'collective.' I would like others to do that as well.

Being FROM NY and you get the kind of reception I LOVE PA is talking about..everyone assumes if you say you are from NY that means NYC. They assume you are crass, loud, rich, a snob or whatever the going sterotype is...

When we moved to Central PA someone said to my husband "You drove through Brooklyn and didn't get shot??" Let me tell you something, going to Harrisburg was 100x more dangerous than any trip I ever made into NYC...!

I think people from NY get bad raps. It's sort of some horrid stereotype you have to disprove. Not only is it hard to relocate, do it from NY and you also have a monkey on your back about being some sort of street thug, loud mouth or wealthy person. You have to fight to establish you are just a normal person who wants a nice quiet life somewhere less expensive.

I don't have any money for a bungalow, so I won't be building a McMansion when I move.

So, from this NYer soon to be moving 'somewhere' give us a break. Yes, there are a lot obnoxious and crass NYers, but there are also a heck of a lot of nice ones who just want to fit in.

EXACTLY!!!
And frankly, I got tired a long time ago, trying to prove that I'm a decent person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or