U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:01 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,752,725 times

Advertisements

Well, as hard as it is, you folks have to show that NY people and CA are fine...only small minds judge on 'where you are from'. We are all Americans. I wish more people would realize that.

I don't blame some of these people who hate 'outsiders' who come in with their big money and build huge houses and so on but you know, it's those NYers going to places like NC and Florida that will overall help in the end with making better schools, increasing standards in education and so on.

It should be about mutual respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 06:06 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,407,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Well, as hard as it is, you folks have to show that NY people and CA are fine...only small minds judge on 'where you are from'. We are all Americans. I wish more people would realize that.

I don't blame some of these people who hate 'outsiders' who come in with their big money and build huge houses and so on but you know, it's those NYers going to places like NC and Florida that will overall help in the end with making better schools, increasing standards in education and so on.

It should be about mutual respect.
I'd just be happy if they learned some manners.

I don't think saying "thank you" when you purchase something from them at a store has anything to do with my native origin. That was the first odd thing I noticed in PA. The drivers, well their discourteous conduct is completely independent from my origin as well. I have PA plates.

It's not where I come from, it's how they were raised. PA people are just plain nasty, lol.

~T

Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 PM

30,178 posts, read 67,314,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
It's not where I come from, it's how they were raised. PA people are just plain nasty, lol.
Sad, yet very true. I've worked in retail now for over four years, and I can safely say that no matter how friendly, personable, and compassionate I try to come off as to our customers, not a day goes by where I don't get at least one bad apple cranky old sourpuss who has to be belligerent for no good reason other than to try to bring others down to their level.

Take for example this past Saturday, which was my FIRST day working in our store's garden center after two years of being the "cart grunt." I studied and crammed like crazy to try to make myself as well-prepared as I could be to address our customers' inquiries, but there came a point in time where I was left alone out there on a BUSY day! During that time, I was helping a customer with the Scotts TurfBuilder program, and I realized that our Winter Guard was far up in the top stock. Being alone and not having a power equipment license to operate a forklift (yet), I knew I had my work cut out for me to find another employee willing to give me a helping hand (our store best exemplifies the "rude PA" stereotype, as departments are often unwilling to help each other in times of need).

After running around asking every person I could find for about ten minutes, the customer came back inside and verbally-berated me in a heated tone for a full-fledged 15 seconds in front of other customers because it was "my fault" that our store was direly understaffed. After being exposed to that humiliation, I just punched out and went on my lunch early so I could try to let my blood pressure cool and fight back tears of frustration.

For as much as I love the potential that PA has, I'll agree that the people here are largely "undesirables", such as that jerk and many others I encounter on a daily basis who think they are more important than everyone else and think nothing of nearly driving employees to tears. Don't even get me started on the racism/homophobia in this state either; the "gay-bashers" and "white-power" crowds sicken me! What the f*$&#& is wrong with people in PA? I'm a homegrown native, and I'll agree with the general assessments that most people have about the nasty people here.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,784,003 times
While you will meet your grouchies...lord knows I met a ton while working in the local bank, I can truly say that the people here in Pa are WAY more friendly than on LI. A typical store clerk does not utter a word to you or even make eye contact in NY. No hello, good-bye, scratch your a--, scratch my a--, NOTHING!!

Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
While you will meet your grouchies...lord knows I met a ton while working in the local bank, I can truly say that the people here in Pa are WAY more friendly than on LI. A typical store clerk does not utter a word to you or even make eye contact in NY. No hello, good-bye, scratch your a--, scratch my a--, NOTHING!!
You must have been in the snooty parts of Nassau county

It all depends on where you are in LI. Trust me, most of my experiences dealing with retail there ALWAYS include a "Thank You" for taking my money. That may not be a big deal to some people, but that's how I grew to expect it from people in retail stores, from growing up in LI.

Now, when I moved to NYC. It got even better. There are simply TOO MANY stores in NYC selling the exact same thing, so they pay a lot of attention to "service", as well as attitude.

I'm sorry, but here in PA I find myself saying things like "You're welcome" on the way out more often than not. Sometimes I've said "thanks for taking care of me". These clueless boobs have no idea I'm ridiculing their behavior, but, lol, who cares. In all fairness, its the 30 and below crowd that are the biggest offenders, as well as the 50 and over. Something about the 30-50 crowd, they seem a little bit different. Maybe they all moved from NY? lol

~TT

Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,153,392 times
Pa people are very friendly and kind, if you did not find a nice person in PA then maybe its you who has the problem, it is called the friendly state btw!

Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Pa people are very friendly and kind, if you did not find a nice person in PA then maybe its you who has the problem, it is called the friendly state btw!
lmao, that's one of two things.

A myth or a lie.

Then again, also in fairness, I'm talking mostly about south-east PA.

~TT

Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,153,392 times
Oh .....then you might be right.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:17 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,784,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I'm sorry, but here in PA I find myself saying things like "You're welcome" on the way out more often than not. Sometimes I've said "thanks for taking care of me". These clueless boobs have no idea I'm ridiculing their behavior, but, lol, who cares. In all fairness, its the 30 and below crowd that are the biggest offenders, as well as the 50 and over. Something about the 30-50 crowd, they seem a little bit different. Maybe they all moved from NY? lol

~TT
You must be in the snooty part of Pa

Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM

47,974 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I would say this one is easy North Dakota.

They are very open about their disdain of new-comers. One would think the nation's most stagnant state population wise would be different and would welcome newcomers.

Parts of North Dakota have had a 80% population decline and the people of that state like it that way. They would rather the stores close and they have to drive an hour to the store then have some new-comers move into the tundra of the -60 wind chill north.

Honorable mention: Iowa
Actually, I think it is the stagnant population growth that makes some people unwelcoming to newcomers. Many people don't welcolme newcomers because they like their state having a low population and little or no change and any kind of change is often viewed as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or