U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 PM

655 posts, read 2,098,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
It's not where I come from, it's how they were raised. PA people are just plain nasty, lol.
I've been visiting my relatives in a town in PA close to Philly. At first, I thought I just caught a lot of people on a bad day, then I thought I was going INSANE. No, no they're just like that. I will say in their defense it doesn't appear to be on purpose, but it's very noticable and very unattractive.

My family was trying to convince me to get employment over here. After what I've been through, I'm quite against the idea. No thank you, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 10:29 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,407,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
I've been visiting my relatives in a town in PA close to Philly. At first, I thought I just caught a lot of people on a bad day, then I thought I was going INSANE. No, no they're just like that. I will say in their defense it doesn't appear to be on purpose, but it's very noticable and very unattractive.

My family was trying to convince me to get employment over here. After what I've been through, I'm quite against the idea. No thank you, please!
Welcome to my world, lol.

Harleysville by chance? Or thereabouts?

It reminds me of all the hillbillies lined up in that movie with Patrick Swayze "Next of Kin", only with better clothes and cars.

~TT

Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,752,725 times
That's funny what you say about CT...my parents have very good friends who lived in CT for many years. (Danbury area). They were originally from Queens, NY..It took years and years before the neighbors would talk to this very nice couple. "Outsiders" apparently..

On the plus side, one of my best college friends was from CT (a small town) and very friendly, very nice.

Again, take people as individuals. I know there are nice people in all states. And nasty ones..

Old 04-04-2007, 03:38 PM

655 posts, read 2,098,975 times
Default Somewhat close

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Welcome to my world, lol.

Harleysville by chance? Or thereabouts?

It reminds me of all the hillbillies lined up in that movie with Patrick Swayze "Next of Kin", only with better clothes and cars.

~TT
Ah, never saw the movie, sorry.

Where I'm visiting is about 10-12 mi. east of Harleysville as the crow flies. It's the Newtown/Yardley/New Hope area. Man these people need some lessons in etiquette. They do have money over here, but it seems like that's what spoils them.

I almost go broadsided by a jerk who ran a four-way stop two days ago. He was actually laughing about it. I could not believe my eyes.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:02 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,407,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Ah, never saw the movie, sorry.

Where I'm visiting is about 10-12 mi. east of Harleysville as the crow flies. It's the Newtown/Yardley/New Hope area. Man these people need some lessons in etiquette. They do have money over here, but it seems like that's what spoils them.

I almost go broadsided by a jerk who ran a four-way stop two days ago. He was actually laughing about it. I could not believe my eyes.

Yup, that's PA. In one year, I curse more in the car driving by myself than I think I have in my lifetime.

Gotta love'em, lol. I think it's all those NASTY pretzels they eat for breakfast, smothered in mustard. I almost hurled when I first saw it.

~T

Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 AM

606 posts, read 533,521 times
what about south dakota?
I'm just curious

Old 04-07-2007, 03:01 PM

20 posts, read 103,861 times
Here in California we have some pretty rude people too. I use to work as a waitress and once got cussed out because we ran out of chicken fried steak. People are downright hostile when they're hungry. Anyway, we certainly don't dislike newcomers although now that I'm planning a move to another state I'm learning that a lot of people don't much care for Californians.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:23 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
what about south dakota?
I'm just curious
I lived in Rapid City for nearly 4 years. I am originally from Wi. I have driven in 46 of the continental 48 states, as an OTR Truck Driver. In MY opinion, the FRIENDLIEST people that I have EVER encountered, are SOUTH DAKOTANS. Rapid City is where I'll retire in hopefully 10 years. Honorable mention for friendly folk goes to Texas also.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:37 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,116,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
I lived in Rapid City for nearly 4 years. I am originally from Wi. I have driven in 46 of the continental 48 states, as an OTR Truck Driver. In MY opinion, the FRIENDLIEST people that I have EVER encountered, are SOUTH DAKOTANS. Rapid City is where I'll retire in hopefully 10 years. Honorable mention for friendly folk goes to Texas also.
Except for the Texas DOT...LOL... most of the people from my trucking days I met from Texas were nice friendly people.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:56 AM

74 posts, read 228,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
From lorelei2873:

How interesting! Here are the population stats for Billings, the biggest city in Montana:

Place of birth:
Montana: 57%
Northeast: 3%
Midwest: 17%
South
(presumably includes southeast) 4%
West (includes intermtn as well as 16%
CA, WA, OR)

So the out of staters you well welcome with open arms are the ones causing the most "problems" in terms of numbers.

We aren't talking about the biggest places in Montana, We are talking about the smaller, more fragile areas that are changing into Montanafornia.

Billings really isn't changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or