U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 03:07 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,155,991 times

Advertisements

This is defintely a town that many southerns do not feel at home in, I was told by many Texans and others, whom were southern but not from the town, that they felt sorry for me, cause it was tough on them to find a smile on anyone's face if you were not from that town.

For one, only one area, that I lived in was nice the rest was ghetto and very trashy and extremely violent. As soon as outsiders moved in, they were already moving out before the ink dried. The only people who talked to me were others who were not from the town.

I never experienced such treatment such as this from any other area I ever lived in and I lived in plenty in my lifetime as well. The women who live in 300 grand homes, act all high and mighty and will only talk to you if you live in the new development and long skirts and pecan pie was all that talked bout too.

I could go on, but rather not...oh the meanest of all? Hands down, church people!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 04:24 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,588,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
This is defintely a town that many southerns do not feel at home in, I was told by many Texans and others, whom were southern but not from the town, that they felt sorry for me, cause it was tough on them to find a smile on anyone's face if you were not from that town.

For one, only one area, that I lived in was nice the rest was ghetto and very trashy and extremely violent. As soon as outsiders moved in, they were already moving out before the ink dried. The only people who talked to me were others who were not from the town.

I never experienced such treatment such as this from any other area I ever lived in and I lived in plenty in my lifetime as well. The women who live in 300 grand homes, act all high and mighty and will only talk to you if you live in the new development and long skirts and pecan pie was all that talked bout too.

I could go on, but rather not...oh the meanest of all? Hands down, church people!

See ... the thing is, if you eat a lot of pecan pie, then you HAVE to wear long skirts to hide them ugly, fat legs!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:27 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,960,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Some of the native Texans on the Texas forum are not speaking very cordially about newcomers to their areas.
They must not understand economics. Supply and Demand in terms of Housing. Their home will have more property value.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:07 PM

57 posts, read 135,388 times
Arizona is definitely hostile to newcomers. Arizonans are hostile on general principle. They're hostile to each other. I think it has something to do with being desert dwellers, but I'm not sure.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:47 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,505,628 times
As for Pennsylvania being a state that's unwelcoming to newcomers, overall, I would have to disagree with you. When I'm in PA, I come across a pattern of extremes: either some of the nicest people on the planet, or the meanest people anywhere. As for getting rid of the unwelcoming people, here's my strtegy:

-Force Philadelphia to either return to its greatness or succeed to New Jersey
-Force Pittsburgh to succeed to Ohio, or make it the next Seattle.
-Force half of the people over 25 to leave the state.
-Force 90 percent of the people over 50 to leave the state.

Sorry if this sounds age-biased, but many of the nice people I've meet in PA are fellow college students, and apparently, their genuine personality is a reflection of how their parents and friends are. Philadelphians students aren't even that mean, but are a bit clickish w/ those who lived in their area. The only students I've met and who are either rude or racist are those who live in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:59 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
As for Pennsylvania being a state that's unwelcoming to newcomers, overall, I would have to disagree with you. When I'm in PA, I come across a pattern of extremes: either some of the nicest people on the planet, or the meanest people anywhere. As for getting rid of the unwelcoming people, here's my strtegy:

-Force Philadelphia to either return to its greatness or succeed to New Jersey
-Force Pittsburgh to succeed to Ohio, or make it the next Seattle.
-Force half of the people over 25 to leave the state.
-Force 90 percent of the people over 50 to leave the state.

Sorry if this sounds age-biased, but many of the nice people I've meet in PA are fellow college students, and apparently, their genuine personality is a reflection of how their parents and friends are. Philadelphians students aren't even that mean, but are a bit clickish w/ those who lived in their area. The only students I've met and who are either rude or racist are those who live in Pittsburgh.
Why "the next Seattle"? Overall, very funny.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:56 PM

403 posts, read 1,435,484 times
probably Alaska

Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,155,991 times
Pgh housing is no where close to Seattle prices...Jobs are scarce and there is a strong drug problem that is in the outerlying of the burbs ( that used to be the escape route for most who lived there). Pgh better get its act together, or else it may become Gary, Indiana soon.

If there were jobs there, people could live there, sad, but yes its crime ridden, as far being racist, its no different than any other decent sized city. I seen black on white racism, so I am sure white on black does exist as well, two way road here.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM

112 posts, read 654,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I get the impression Idaho, Oregon and Arizona.
I'd disagree with Oregon. I've lived in Oregon for quite sometime. To some extent the small communities seem to fear change, and "newcomers", but most of the larger more culturally diversified communities are very friendly and welcome all. There is a "Oregonians dislike Californian's stigma" but I think it's mostly talk. Many Oregonians are former Californian's anyway! I've also been to Arizona many times, and have friends that live in Phoenix that are not originally from AZ, and they've never had a problem in Arizona with people treating them different because they're newcomers, or disliking them.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,505,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Why "the next Seattle"? Overall, very funny.
The reason for Seattle is because how when I went to Pittsburgh, I kept hearing how it was attempting to change its industry focus to concentrate on high-tech and medical. Also, considering how Seattle did a good job gaining new industries after the fall of the timber industry, I just figured that Pittsburgh, in order to become prosperous again, would need to change its core industries from steel to something more lucrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or