Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:27 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
The outer suburban counties of Atlanta GA such as Fayette, Coweta, and Forsyth.
Never been to those places. Forsyth County has a bad reputation for being racist. It is one of the fastest growing areas in GA, but I haven't been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 PM

28 posts, read 83,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
All states seem to dislike newcomers from California! That's what I'm seeing on these forums and have had a few situations in Texas. Fortunately for them though, I'm moving back to California!!!

BTW, I like NYers!!!
I lived in 3 different states. Washington, Colorado and Kentucky and yes, they all disliked Californians.

Why? It's that smug California attitude talking about how their new state "sucks" and how it was done differently in California.

The other day I literally heard someone ask at 10:00 pm where something was. He was told where the nearest location was but that they usually close around 8 pm. His response??? "Man! Washington sucks! In California they would stay open at least until midnight."

I don't think as a whole people dislike newcomers, it's newcomers that don't leave their old attitude behind that they dislike

Old 03-06-2009, 07:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Never been to those places. Forsyth County has a bad reputation for being racist. It is one of the fastest growing areas in GA, but I haven't been there.

It's ironic that those three Metro Atlanta counties have grown tremendously over the past 20+ years, and Forsyth is consistently ranked in the top 10 fastest growing counties in the nation. I can't really see how a place that dislikes newcomers can possibly grow that fast.

Quote:
A large number of affluent professionals have moved into the county, making Forsyth the wealthiest county in Georgia and the 13th weathiest in the U.S. Over 60% of the current population lived elsewhere 1987, reflecting a large influx of new residents.

Quote:
Welcome to Coweta County!

You’ve chosen a warm, inviting community with its own brand of “Southern Hospitality” for your home and we welcome you! Much of the information you’ll need to get settled in your new home is on this website - with links in the left hand column.
Coweta County : Newcomer Info

Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restam View Post
I lived in 3 different states. Washington, Colorado and Kentucky and yes, they all disliked Californians.

Why? It's that smug California attitude talking about how their new state "sucks" and how it was done differently in California.

The other day I literally heard someone ask at 10:00 pm where something was. He was told where the nearest location was but that they usually close around 8 pm. His response??? "Man! Washington sucks! In California they would stay open at least until midnight."

I don't think as a whole people dislike newcomers, it's newcomers that don't leave their old attitude behind that they dislike
People like to look for reasons to dislike Californians. Let people be a little homesick. It will pass.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People like to look for reasons to dislike Californians. Let people be a little homesick. It will pass.
If you think people are looking for reasons to dislike Californians then why are they picking on Californians?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,788,885 times
In Oregon we dislike Californians because they represent the opposite of what Oregon is all about--smart, controlled growth and preservation of our forests and farmlands. California, in other words, is our complete opposite. An influx of outsiders means more subdivisions and more strip malls where once we had beautiful forests. It makes US feel overcrowded and prices native home buyers out of the market as demand for housing goes up.

We may like the individual as a person if they leave their California attitude behind, but that doesn't change the fact that outsiders are figuratively and literally destroying our way of life.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 PM

880 posts, read 2,850,005 times
The fact that they have grown so fast is one of the reasons that many locals are not fond of newcomers. They don't care for the fast growth and are usually trying to come up with ways of slowing it down dramatically.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
In Oregon we dislike Californians because they represent the opposite of what Oregon is all about--smart, controlled growth and preservation of our forests and farmlands. California, in other words, is our complete opposite. An influx of outsiders means more subdivisions and more strip malls where once we had beautiful forests. It makes US feel overcrowded and prices native home buyers out of the market as demand for housing goes up.

We may like the individual as a person if they leave their California attitude behind, but that doesn't change the fact that outsiders are figuratively and literally destroying our way of life.
This is the same in Washington State, Colorado (especially around Denver) and I heard the western part of Montana

Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
It is not true of everyone in Colorado. Me, for instance. Go to the Colo/Denver forums and see for yourself. There are a few who do the most squawking.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is not true of everyone in Colorado. Me, for instance. Go to the Colo/Denver forums and see for yourself. There are a few who do the most squawking.
Maybe it's changed as I left Denver in 2001 and Colorado in 2004 but if you go back a few years and pick up a copy of the Denver Post or Rocky Mountain News there was a big article about Highlands Ranch and how it was disliked because it was too much like California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.