U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:49 AM

673 posts, read 3,751,722 times

Advertisements

I would say this one is easy North Dakota.

They are very open about their disdain of new-comers. One would think the nation's most stagnant state population wise would be different and would welcome newcomers.

Parts of North Dakota have had a 80% population decline and the people of that state like it that way. They would rather the stores close and they have to drive an hour to the store then have some new-comers move into the tundra of the -60 wind chill north.

Honorable mention: Iowa

Last edited by MattDen; 04-01-2007 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 06:28 AM

859 posts, read 3,064,752 times
Default Are there really that many towns that dislike "outsiders"?

When ever I travel outside of my region, I usually go to main cities or touristy spots, so I guess I have never experienced this.

But ever since I have been on this board, I have noticed so many posts about people feeling outcasted out of towns. Why is this?

It's sort of hard for me to understand, one of my favorite things to do is meet new people....and I have lived in 4 different towns (all in NJ though) and I have always seen neighbors making the new kid on the block feel very welcome. I didn't realize til I started posting here, that there were towns that frowned upon people moving in. Just something I'm not used to I guess.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:10 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,076,774 times
I get the impression Idaho, Oregon and Arizona.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:04 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,457,468 times
Some of the native Texans on the Texas forum are not speaking very cordially about newcomers to their areas.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,784,003 times
I think where you are from has a lot to do with it. Here in Pa., where I live, they dislike NY and NJ people, but move from Florida, or Alabama, or Texas, I honestly don't think they care.
After 13 years I still haven't come up with a tactful, but not terribly rude comment to my fellow Pennsylvanians when they tell me that I'm not like most NYers, "we dont mean 'you'", when speaking bad about them or when they tell me I am one of them now. These comments are from people I know and love like family.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:35 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
"we dont mean 'you'", when speaking bad about them or when they tell me I am one of them now. These comments are from people I know and love like family.
As an easterner (Pennsylvania), I have heard stuff like that many times in the midwest and west. My own husband once asked "what's wrong with that?" when I complained that someone in his family had said something similar to me. I replied "what about the rest of my family and everyone I grew up with?". But no, I don't have a tactful or even untactful response. DH's family seems to have gotten over it, after all these years.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:59 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,297,235 times
I think oregon and washington are the worst -- especially if your from california or resemble someone they believe looks like or acts like someone from california.

many wisconsinites also have disdain for people from illinois.

I also have a hard time grasping how people can generalize and sterotype, even hate a whole group of people cause they are from another STATE....an arbitrary political boundary that separates them....does not hand them a code of conduct at birth that he/she must follow.

Anyway, I would say most rural or natural areas have people in them that will resist change and it wont matter where you are from -- if you move in they will not accept you at first.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:24 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I get the impression Idaho, Oregon and Arizona.
Idaho and Oregon I can agree with, AZ I cannot. The reason being that probably only 10% of the state are actual natives, the rest are transplants/retirees/illegals/etc. Who are they to say they dont want newcomers? LOLOL

Old 04-01-2007, 06:30 PM

373 posts, read 1,704,659 times
I would say that in Montana, most people are starting to really dislike newcomers, as it is really impacting the cost of living and culture of a few of the more popular areas. We have the most expensive home in the world being built in SW Montana at the exclusive Yellowstone Club for only $155 Million. With a real working-class bunch of natives, this influx of celebrities and high rollers is not going over well...especially the concept of people who use Montana as a second home. People here have an outright disdain for people from California and the East Coast, but they will typically welcome folks from other areas of the Intermountain West or the Midwest with open arms.

I think a lot of states in the west probaby are experiencing rapid growth situation with people bringing different, more "city-fied" values. I think the west has always been sort of all about "live and let live" and has been reluctant to accept a lot of constraints on personal liberties. We also really value land and public access. When people come in from other areas, they change the dynamic of interaction between neighbors and interaction between individuals and the government. Westerners have also been really leery of federal laws and want more states' rights. We also have large water issues in the Intermountain West. We're all kind of feeling similar growing pains.

Last edited by lorelei2873; 04-01-2007 at 06:45 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 07:05 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
From lorelei2873:
Quote:
People here have an outright disdain for people from California and the East Coast, but they will typically welcome folks from other areas of the Intermountain West or the Midwest with open arms.
How interesting! Here are the population stats for Billings, the biggest city in Montana:

Place of birth:
Montana: 57%
Northeast: 3%
Midwest: 17%
South
(presumably includes southeast) 4%
West (includes intermtn as well as 16%
CA, WA, OR)

So the out of staters you well welcome with open arms are the ones causing the most "problems" in terms of numbers.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-01-2007 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or