U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,091 times

Advertisements

My wife and I, both born and raised in Chicago, are looking to move. We love the city, but with 3 kids and one on the way, can't afford to live downtown. We are bored of the burbs and are tired of paying $6K/year in property taxes. I work from home so the job market is not an issue. See below for what we are looking for...any suggestions??

1. prefer to be near the ocean..from Virginia to Florida or near the mountains such as Colorado..basically a place where there are a lot of activies

2. affordable housing...hopefully be able to buy a 5 BD house for $250-$400K

3. Good school system

4. Low property taxes

5. prefer no state income tax which brings Florida to mind

6. prefer a Fiscally conservative state...another reason we are looking to leave Illinois

7. Prefer city living versus rural living

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 02:59 PM

11,897 posts, read 32,942,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomingdaleheadhunters View Post
My wife and I, both born and raised in Chicago, are looking to move. We love the city, but with 3 kids and one on the way, can't afford to live downtown. We are bored of the burbs and are tired of paying $6K/year in property taxes. I work from home so the job market is not an issue. See below for what we are looking for...any suggestions??

1. prefer to be near the ocean..from Virginia to Florida or near the mountains such as Colorado..basically a place where there are a lot of activies

2. affordable housing...hopefully be able to buy a 5 BD house for $250-$400K

3. Good school system

4. Low property taxes

5. prefer no state income tax which brings Florida to mind

6. prefer a Fiscally conservative state...another reason we are looking to leave Illinois

7. Prefer city living versus rural living

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Check out East Tennessee. Very conservative, very low property taxes, housing within your price range, no state income tax, tons of lakes, and of course the beautiful Great Smoky Mountains. Knoxville is a fairly big city (180,000 city, 440,000 county, 1 million CSA) and has a good school system for a big city. Some of the surrounding towns have downright outstanding school systems, particularly Oak Ridge which is home to some 20,000 engineers at the nuclear labs.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,753,266 times
Houston Texas would be an excellent choice. I would scratch Florida off the list, it is a very unstable transient state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or