Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:30 PM

786 posts, read 4,719,657 times

Advertisements

I recently went on a cross country automobile trip. My wife and I spent over a month traveling through the South and Midwest. We wanted to make a special trip to Small Town America and visit the most rural and isolated parts of America. It was an eye opening experience. While I ran into many nice people and a cast of characters that I will never forget, I was shocked how many real nasty looking Rednecks we have in America.

If someone was home-bound and not able to get outside and only contact with the rest of America was via television, you would have a false sense of what the typical person looked like in America. On TV most folks are nice looking and interested in their appearance. Also most people are white. Get outside and a whole new America shows itself.

In my travels I was shocked what I saw. So many people are FAT, just plain fat. Also so many people are just plain UGLY. So many people are also quite SLOPPY in their appearance. I saw so many people who appeared to have no self respect. They wore clothes that was not fitting, needed a haircut or an style update, were so overweight, were smoking up a storm, and whose face and bodies showed a life of bad choices and neglect. I have no word for people like this other than REDNECK.

So, what State in America has the most REDNECKS?

Old 04-01-2007, 02:01 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,081,402 times
red·neck /ˈrɛdˌnɛk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[red-nek] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation Informal: Often Disparaging.
–noun 1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.
2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.
–adjective 3. Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude.

Are these the people you met? Doesn't quite sound like your descriptions. And actually if you look at #3, "narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary", perhaps you would request deletion of this thread for fear of seeing the man in the mirror.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:05 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,733,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
red·neck /ˈrɛdˌnɛk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[red-nek] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation Informal: Often Disparaging.
–noun 1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.
2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.
–adjective 3. Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude.

Are these the people you met? Doesn't quite sound like your descriptions. And actually if you look at #3, "narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary", perhaps you would request deletion of this thread for fear of seeing the man in the mirror.
Good point and well said.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I recently went on a cross country automobile trip. My wife and I spent over a month traveling through the South and Midwest. We wanted to make a special trip to Small Town America and visit the most rural and isolated parts of America. It was an eye opening experience. While I ran into many nice people and a cast of characters that I will never forget, I was shocked how many real nasty looking Rednecks we have in America.

If someone was home-bound and not able to get outside and only contact with the rest of America was via television, you would have a false sense of what the typical person looked like in America. On TV most folks are nice looking and interested in their appearance. Also most people are white. Get outside and a whole new America shows itself.

In my travels I was shocked what I saw. So many people are FAT, just plain fat. Also so many people are just plain UGLY. So many people are also quite SLOPPY in their appearance. I saw so many people who appeared to have no self respect. They wore clothes that was not fitting, needed a haircut or an style update, were so overweight, were smoking up a storm, and whose face and bodies showed a life of bad choices and neglect. I have no word for people like this other than REDNECK.

So, what State in America has the most REDNECKS?
Who are you to say who's "ugly"? Perhaps your outlook on life should be labeled as such. Oh, one more thing, you should look right in your own state's backyard if you want to find hardcore rednecks.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Location: Shepherdsville and Frankfort, Kentucky, soon to be somewhere in TEXAS!
23 posts, read 153,321 times
Can I list multiple states?

Kentucky, Arkansas, Ohio

Old 04-01-2007, 02:27 PM

786 posts, read 4,719,657 times
I am not the most beautiful person in the world but I do everything I can to look good. I exercise 20 minutes every day in the week, I have a good diet, I take vitamins and do not smoke or drink. I am very interested in self improvement and education. I work hard in my job. I do not spend alot of money on my clothes but I pick clothes that are nice looking and fit. I get my haircut every month. I shave every day. I take care of my skin and stay out of the sun. All Americans should have similar self respect.

I think that casual is nice and there is a certain flexibility in todays society towards clothes and hair that was not possible in the 1950s, but these Rednecks have a sloppyness that is beyond casual. It is offensive.

This is more than I can say for many of the REDNECKS I saw on my cross country trip.

Which State has the most rednecks?

Last edited by Dingler; 04-01-2007 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 02:52 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,693,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I am not the most beautiful person in the world but I do everything I can to look good. I exercise 20 minutes every day in the week, I have a good diet, I take vitamins and do not smoke or drink. I am very interested in self improvement and education. I work hard in my job.

I do not spend alot of money on my clothes but I pick clothes that are nice looking and fit. I get my haircut every month. I shave every day. I take care of my skin and stay out of the sun. All Americans should have similar self respect.
Good for you, those are all admirable lifestyle accomplishments.

What some people think looks nice or good is not the same to others. I'd hate to have Old Navy become the fashion police, though they do have some nice clothes. I often go longer than you without a haircut or shave. Sometimes I take care of my skin, usually I don't try to stay out of the sun, at least if I'm wearing sunblock. My idea of what's sloppy looking is probably different than yours. Up until now I was quite happy at making my own standards for my own physical appearance. Basically, to me it's good for people to try to avoid stinking and looking dirty, but besides that I don't really care what others do.

I don't even agree with your last statement. Americans should be able to keep the freedom to choose whether or not to even have self-respect. That is not to say that employers should higher people like that, but if they're life is going fine and they like their job, (if they have one) then it doesn't make sense to interfere with other's lifestyle choices, or lack there of.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-01-2007 at 03:22 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 03:04 PM

504 posts, read 1,760,131 times
My beautiful friend is from Morocco and before she moved here to Tampa Fl, she lived in NYC. She came down here in the winter and thought everyone was homeless. I didn't dawn on her that a lot of us that live here have been wearing the same old clothes for years and we just layer up and look like bums when its cold.
I am not a redneck by any stretch of the imagination, but here in Florida its hot and a lot of us work in the yard, so we go out lots of times in very comfortable clothes and forget about a hairdo, more like a frizzdo with all the humidity. I lived in Northern Virginia, Maryland and D.C. plenty of good ole boys and girls and yet plenty people that worked in DC having to dress for business, a lot of Southern states are far more laid back doesn't mean they have more rednecks, maybe just good Southern cooking.
I am originally from Maine and Maine has thier rednecks also, just disquised with a different accent.
I have two daughters one that looks like she stepped out of a fashion magazine and she stays broke, and one who always looks a little disheveled because she works all the time, no ac in her vehicle, and watches her money, she doesn't need to work. By your standards you would think the dishelved one would be the redneck. I know looks are very deceiving, my mother would rather have an empty purse, and look good than have money in the bank. She says you never know who you are going to meet. I say you can't judge a book by its cover.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 PM

364 posts, read 522,374 times
Since the original poster mentioned fat and ugly- Alabama and Mississippi. #1 and #2 for obesity. Very very gross unkept looking people. Also top states for poverty. Somehow seems to go hand in hand.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:09 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,271,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I am originally from Maine and Maine has thier rednecks also, just disquised with a different accent.
I don't know about Maine, but I met more rednecks in western PA, upstate NY and mid-VT than I ever met in NC or SC. Some small towns are so inter-bred it's like a bad horror movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.