U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,599,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I'm always up for a good jab at Arkansas, but you have obviously have no clue about the place. No offense.
Yes, they eat pretty much everything... too much, in fact...
Sorry, this is just me but I've I've never had good thai OR sushi anywhere in the south outside of Atlanta and Miami...(I imagine it is good in Houston/Dallas) maybe they want it, but... are there going to be good thai and sushi chefs in Arkansas for the most part?
Maybe I am wrong here, but if it is anything like other places in the south w/o a big city... probably not. Maybe a few other cities have it but sushi is my favorite food bar none and thai ranks on up there as well and really dissapointing I can't get good stuff down here. Given the last 3 places I've lived are Chicago, Paris and Sonoma County north of SF... my standards are probably different, but... sushi and thai doesn't have to be expensive or fancy establishment to taste right... I haven't been able to find many good offerings. . So if Arkansas is up on the culinary scene, I guess I must have missed out on that.

note this is totally off topic... general seafood though the coastal areas are great.

Last edited by grapico; 04-20-2009 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 PM

536 posts, read 1,951,207 times
Oregon. Many people here brew their own beer and grow their own.... well anything pretty much grows well here.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 AM

278 posts, read 901,574 times
Wow!! Thanks for all the good advice so far...

I think its very possible to get lower humidy and no desert at the same time.. ID,WA,OR,No CA all have these.. I mean by lower humidy... under 60% most days... Obviously if it rains there will be higher hum. days..lol.. I need a green area so I can have a longer growing season. At least 6 months would be nice.

I have looked into OR but almost everywhere there land is very expensive. We are looking for about 20+ acres for under 100k. Usually that will mean outside of the city a ways..

As far as the sushi, AR and good chefs goes... We already have a trained chef from over seas who currently lives in So FL doing this kind of food... and trust me.. His food is AMAZING!!! NW AR seems to be a little more diverse then other parts of AR so it just might fit in well.. (read my other post on the AR page.. "MI to AR???", for more info on that topic)

We do have a price range we are looking at for this land... So OR and CA probably wouldnt be in our price range. WY seemed like the weather was too cold in the winter... Am I wrong on that??

The NW seems to be calling to me... I was looking in ID or the tri-cities of WA maybe... Any thoughts on those areas for homesteading??

Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,759,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Sorry, this is just me but I've I've never had good thai OR sushi anywhere in the south outside of Atlanta and Miami...(I imagine it is good in Houston/Dallas) maybe they want it, but... are there going to be good thai and sushi chefs in Arkansas for the most part?
Maybe I am wrong here, but if it is anything like other places in the south w/o a big city... probably not. Maybe a few other cities have it but sushi is my favorite food bar none and thai ranks on up there as well and really dissapointing I can't get good stuff down here. Given the last 3 places I've lived are Chicago, Paris and Sonoma County north of SF... my standards are probably different, but... sushi and thai doesn't have to be expensive or fancy establishment to taste right... I haven't been able to find many good offerings. . So if Arkansas is up on the culinary scene, I guess I must have missed out on that.

note this is totally off topic... general seafood though the coastal areas are great.
In Little Rock, you can get sushi, I'm pretty certain. They have a few Japanese and Thai restaurants there. NW Arkansas is flooded with ex-Californians, and it's a fairly large metro area, so it would be my guess that you might be surprised what you could find there also.
That stuff isn't as exotic as it used to be.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,292,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
I think its very possible to get lower humidy and no desert at the same time.. ID,WA,OR,No CA all have these..
Relatively, yes, but most of those places resly heavily on irrigation for a good part of the year... especially NorCal...

If cost is not an issue, then, choose the Big Island of Hawaii. There you'll have great weather (despite humidity), a year-round growing seaso, plenty of water, and you'll be able to hunt pigs and fish for meat... Also, in Hawaii, you'll have your choice of almost every sort of climate-type found on the planet.

The one drawback: expect about $500k or more to buy some undeveloped, farmable, lease-held acreage (that means you still have to pay a sort of rent to use it). If you want to purchase outright, multiply that by at least 4x...

Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,599,556 times
Quote:
In Little Rock, you can get sushi, I'm pretty certain. They have a few Japanese and Thai restaurants there. NW Arkansas is flooded with ex-Californians, and it's a fairly large metro area, so it would be my guess that you might be surprised what you could find there also.
That stuff isn't as exotic as it used to be.
I'll have to look into NW Arkansas. I have seen people moving there when I was in Chicago. I will check it out.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM

Hawaii isnt an option. I want some place kinda off the map, very private and not stuck on an island..lol Not to mention I think Hawaii is a rip off to have to spend that much on land.. I want the simple life.

I'm not sure why people are getting hung up on the whole sushi thing.. Its becoming more and more common in every state., even AR..lol I'm sure every major city has some kind of sushi.

Does anyone know the length of growing season for NW Ar? Or where I could get that info from?
Thanks!!

Old 04-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know the length of growing season for NW Ar? Or where I could get that info from?
Thanks!!

Plenty long for growing most anything that isn't tropical. Early-mid April to mid-late October.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Plenty long for growing most anything that isn't tropical. Early-mid April to mid-late October.
Do you put seeds in in the begining of April?
Here in Mi we are doing it in the begining of May..

Old 04-21-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Do you put seeds in in the begining of April?
Here in Mi we are doing it in the begining of May..
I found this. A little off, but not much. That late April in the northwest would very greatly from year to year. I live 4 hours due north of there, and it appears we had our last killing frost a couple of weeks ago. People were planting in mid-March, but you have to be careful with that.

Quote:
Arkansas has a long growing season. It averages 211 days for the state as a whole and ranges from 241 days in the lowlands to 176 days in the mountains. The last killing frost of winter is usually over by mid-March in the south and southeast and by late April in the northwest. In the fall the first killing frost arrives by mid-October in the Ozarks, but it may not be felt at Little Rock until early November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or