U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:16 PM

278 posts, read 900,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Cool...

You should watch this documentary Survivorman - Living off the Grid...

If you can't find it let me know and I'll find a way to send it to you, it is about 2 hours. Inspiring and some good tips.
I have tinkered with the idea before at some point as well...
Now all we need is an electric car and for solar power to get cheaper...

Then...Grow and hunt all my own food, can and jar the excess... I'd probably only catch fish and crabs/dive for abalone for the protein. Might go buy some bags of rice
Then compost my waste (bye bye trash man)
Solar the house (bye bye electric company)
Drill a well w/ water filters(have already done this at my gfs parents place)
Build fence to keep out the deer from eating the garden...
The climate is such there where you don't need a/c and definitely have woods in place (eucalyptus/redwood) to cut down for a burning stove.
These are long term plans though probably 20 years out for early retirement...but if economy continues to be ****... it could become future terms.
I'll try searching for it. Thanks.

I know a few others in several states already doing this..

Also check out survivalblog DOT com too... Kinda neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
IMHO living entirely off the land is a lot of work. I don't see where you'd have time to open a sushi restaurant. Having a garden and a wood lot, sure, with maybe some small livestock. Seems that 2-5 acres would be plenty for a good life. That way you could live close enough to a town that could support a sushi restaunt and not burn a lot of gas to get there.

P.S. if you are ever driving through Knoxville, get off the interstate and visit Nama.
We are 2 different families doing this.. We could very well live off the land and still own a few businesses at the same time. I still plan on having internet, power and stuff but if I need to I can go off grid for a while.

Whats in Nama? Never heard of it. I drive thru there about 2xs a yr too.I know someone in Athens already doing this.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:30 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
Nama is a Sushi restaurant. It's downtown on Gay St just north of Summit Hill, 1 block north of the visitor center.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 PM

Actually I dont eat sushi..lol.. Weird I know.. I'm not the one doing that business. But I love Chinese and Thai.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 AM

1,915 posts, read 4,605,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
oregon and nor cal...
Nice places, but is there a possibility for starting a successful business? I recently read that the unemployment rate in OR was currently 18%! Unemployed people don't go out to eat in restaurants very often.....

Old 04-24-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Nice places, but is there a possibility for starting a successful business? I recently read that the unemployment rate in OR was currently 18%! Unemployed people don't go out to eat in restaurants very often.....
Hmmm... I keep hearing MIs rate is the highest in the country... Over 15% in the city I live in.. And we still go out to eat and my server friend still makes her tips she needs... I wouldnt plan on moving to a city with a high unemployment rate but you cant charterize a city by the state it lives in..
I'm not really looking into OR much anyways.. more the tri-cities, WA; Fayetteville or Eureka Springs, AR; or in ID somewhere.... Just wanted someone elses opinion on where it was good to live off the land

Old 04-24-2009, 07:25 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,538,378 times
Be sure and get non-hybrid seeds, otherwise you won't be able to use the seeds from your produce for the next growing season. To the OP. You might also look into Southeastern Oklahoma (Ouachita Mountains).

Old 04-26-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Be sure and get non-hybrid seeds, otherwise you won't be able to use the seeds from your produce for the next growing season. To the OP. You might also look into Southeastern Oklahoma (Ouachita Mountains).
Where do I get those kinds of seeds??? I've been looking for them.
I'll check into OK too.. Isnt it bad for tornados there??

Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM

Anyone else have any ideas on the best place to look???

Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,712,249 times
If you can live with 30" annual snowfall instead of 20", I'd say: Gratz, PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or