U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM

234 posts, read 622,017 times

Advertisements

If you haven't decided yet, don't give up on the idea of Oregon. Not all of Oregon real estate is expensive, and you can pretty much live off the grid anywhere east of the Cascade mountains - we have pretty much every type of environment you can think of (forests, deserts, valleys), or you can live closer to civilization on the western side and be in the fertile, green Willamette Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,378 times
Default self sufficient organic farm

I showed my clients the most amazing property that was for sale last week near Nevada City, CA. It was a 29 acre organic farm that was completely off the grid and extremely private, but not remote. There was an abundance of gravity fed water to irrigate the vineyard and all of the fruit trees and plants as well as supply water to the house and indoor lap pool. They also had used a concrete unused freeway underpass which was excavated into the hillside for their winery. The property had 3 homes and 2 seasonal cabins that were powered with a 24k diesel generator. It sure seemed like a great place for anyone who wanted to be self sufficient. I think No Ca would be an excellent location.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,278 times
I am in Scotland right now but prefer to live in New Zealand, if you feel so inclined NZ is perfect for living off the land, great climate, enough rain and superb way of life ! You all seem to be in America but if you would consider moving country NZ would be a good bet !

Good Luck in your search !

Linda

Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,385,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Nice places, but is there a possibility for starting a successful business? I recently read that the unemployment rate in OR was currently 18%! Unemployed people don't go out to eat in restaurants very often.....
The most pervasive "fad" in the Portland restaurant world are food carts. Start up in a drop in the bucket compared to a physical location. Several carts have been so successful, they've opened physical locations, as well as keeping the cart.

Here's a great web page about them.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 AM

561 posts, read 1,033,418 times
I know this thread has been dormant for awhile, but rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ressurect this one. Here's my situation:

My mom is getting older (70) and after she passes away I'll probably get a decent inheritence - probably around $200K, but I'm not sure yet.

Over the past several years I've tried to read and understand as much about industrial civilization as I can. The more I learn and understand, the more contemptuous I am, and the more convinced I am that our society is irredeeamable and indefensible. The basis for industrial civilizaton seems inherently exploitative and destructive, and I'd like to extricate myself from it as much as possible.

Basically, I just want to live as simply as I can and focus on what's really important: healthy, preferably wild food; leisure and recreation, etc. If possible, I'd like to do this without owning land; I'd like to have access to public and/or shared land where I can forage food, hunt, and fish.

If necessary, I will consider buying a few acres of undeveloped land, but would prefer to have minimal agriculture, and would like to live off wild foods as much as possible. I don't have a definite area/region in mind, but would prefer an area with ample wild food available year-round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
Hawaii isnt an option. I want some place kinda off the map, very private and not stuck on an island..lol Not to mention I think Hawaii is a rip off to have to spend that much on land.. I want the simple life.
I agree that owning land in HI is prohibitively expensive for many of us, but I've heard stories about people who essentially 'squat' in undeveloped areas of the Big Island, and live off the fruit, fish, and wild pigs, and other ample wild foods. Is this possible, or just urban an urban legend?

Any and all constructive suggestions are appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or