Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:39 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,453 times

Advertisements

Spokane is in my neck of the woods, and it's the most diverse city for hundreds of miles (I live a few hours east of Spokane). Spokane is where we go when we want some city culture. I don't find it dull. However, I don't know anything other than from the media about ethnic diversity unless it pertains to American Indians. I never even met a black person until I went to college. So, I would say that people in Spokane don't know anything different. I don't have an opinion one way or the other because I've never had the opportunity to live in an ethnically diverse area. I'm sure Spokane seems normal, not exclusive, to people from Spokane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 05:04 PM

341 posts, read 1,486,669 times
I AM currently temporarily residing in a small southern town outside of Louisville KY and if I've seen one person that wasn't white..he was visiting. Boringggggggggggg! There's more diversity in Louisville (not alot). The KKK has a clubhouse in this town! And gawd forbid some Mexicans are moving in.It frightens the locals. Suspenders,tabacco and Oliver tractors just does not represent culture to me. Yeesh!

Old 04-06-2007, 07:59 PM

652 posts, read 2,803,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Why is it that some people can never seem to understand the difference between 'ethnically diverse community' and 'sketchy neighborhood', they are two different things ... sheesh. I've lived most of my life in very ethnically diverse communities (and wouldn't have it any other way) and it amazes me that people seem to be unable (or unwilling due to personal prejudice) to separate those two things.
Speaking for myself, as a resident of Los Angeles, there's a strong correleation between the two.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:04 PM

652 posts, read 2,803,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotcp456 View Post
A little ethnic diversity is ok as long as it doesn't become a hostile takeover of culture. For example - I live in Toronto, one of the most diverse cities in the whole world, and its AWEFUL. Here's why - people from other cultures (specifically new immigrants) seem to want to keep their own culture rather then adapting to the culture of the country they are residing in. What this has lead to in Toronto are vast areas that are changing their English signage to the foreign language of the dominant culture, entire shopping malls catering to old world ethnic tastes and television and other broadcast media reflecting the views of the countries the people left from. This is particularily troublesome when a lot of their opinions swirl around radical islam or communism.

It's not easy bringing up these topics without seeming racist, but after all this is MY home country and MY culture. THEY should conform because if I were to visit their home country it would be the first thing expected of me. Interestingly enough, in some areas of the Toronto area like Brampton and Markam, native Canadians have become the MINORITY.

Personally, I find the situation in Toronto in the extreme but is a good indicator of what any city can expect to see if they succumb to rampant immigration and don't demand certain cultural provisions by the immigrants.
I know exactly what you mean. Recently we had yet another resident of Los Angeles killed by a illegal alien drunk driver; the victim this time was a Hollywood producer and his son. The root of the problem here is that, in some cultures there's no stigma attached to drunk driving, such as in Mexican culture, and so people bring their inappropriate behaviors here and force us to live with them. In this case two more people have been killed because of "diversity".

Old 04-07-2007, 03:41 AM

606 posts, read 698,510 times
wow,I'm not white

Old 04-07-2007, 04:04 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
I think it's more important to try to surround myself with good, peaceful, accepting people...as stated previously, living in an ethnically diverse area does not mean most folks will be tolerant, and living in an area that is all one race does not mean things will be peaceful.

I grew up in an almost all white area. There were definitely a minority (mostly the older folks) who were very racist, but mostly no one really cared about ethnicity. I now live in a very diverse area, and in my experience it's very tolerant here, people are very open-minded. It's nice.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:48 AM

413 posts, read 2,560,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotcp456 View Post
A little ethnic diversity is ok as long as it doesn't become a hostile takeover of culture. For example - I live in Toronto, one of the most diverse cities in the whole world, and its AWEFUL. Here's why - people from other cultures (specifically new immigrants) seem to want to keep their own culture rather then adapting to the culture of the country they are residing in. What this has lead to in Toronto are vast areas that are changing their English signage to the foreign language of the dominant culture, entire shopping malls catering to old world ethnic tastes and television and other broadcast media reflecting the views of the countries the people left from. This is particularily troublesome when a lot of their opinions swirl around radical islam or communism.

It's not easy bringing up these topics without seeming racist, but after all this is MY home country and MY culture. THEY should conform because if I were to visit their home country it would be the first thing expected of me. Interestingly enough, in some areas of the Toronto area like Brampton and Markam, native Canadians have become the MINORITY.

Personally, I find the situation in Toronto in the extreme but is a good indicator of what any city can expect to see if they succumb to rampant immigration and don't demand certain cultural provisions by the immigrants.
Yup totally agree with you -- I'm American and living in pretty homogeneous Chicago burb now. I don't mind minorities, I like some of the stuff they bring like food and restaurants but its a big takeover even in the downtown building where my grandma lives now. Personally I prefer the country and my native American culture to any diversity of things a city has to offer me. The rapidness of change is very unsettling and I would hate living in a place like DC or Toronto where there has been a huge takeover. If I was Canadian and like you I'd be looking at more traditional kind of places like Ottawa or Northern Ontario. If you want your traditional Canadian culture you're probably not going to find that now in big city. I agree the rate of change is unsettling.

I think it's a definite lifestyle choice - depends on your preferences and what you like to do. Minorities often choose to live together and have their own preferences so can anyone else. I like the country with barbecue restaurants, churches, beautiful landscapes, sense of space, and more traditional American feel. I'm moving to the Deep South. In any case I've never enjoyed the city anyway.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Exclamation lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
I AM currently temporarily residing in a small southern town outside of Louisville KY and if I've seen one person that wasn't white..he was visiting. Boringggggggggggg! There's more diversity in Louisville (not alot). The KKK has a clubhouse in this town! And gawd forbid some Mexicans are moving in.It frightens the locals. Suspenders,tabacco and Oliver tractors just does not represent culture to me. Yeesh!
I am one state south of you- Drove through Berea (sp?) and Lexington to Louisville 2 yrs ago- when we moved up from Florida.

I guess diversity can encompass the fact that-where I am right now- there is no good Chinese food here- one Indian restaurant (but its a buffet) and basically no food choices other than steakhouses and barbecue. Its alot different than what I am used to. Have to drive to Asheville even to get an Irish or German restaurant!

sunny

Old 04-08-2007, 09:03 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,019 times
sunny - you poor thing. I have always taken being about to 'eat around the world' within 5-10 miles of my house, it would be a hard adjustment to have to drive to a different town to get something as mundane as German food

Yesterday as I was walking to the pub to meet my friend for some drinks, I inadvertently walked into a day before Easter Ukrainian custom I know nothing about (my neighborhood has loads of Ukrainian Orthodox churches), I saw a lot of people very dressed up walking down the street with baskets covered in lace or fabric, some were decorated, does anyone know what was happening here? I loved watching everyone talk to each other (even if I didn't understand what they were saying) and walk around with those little baskets, it reminded me why I love living in such a diverse community.

edit: a quick google search indicates that it was a 'basket blessing' tradition, which would make sense being the number of churches that are in my neighborhood.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:53 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Lightbulb nice story- reminds me

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
sunny - you poor thing. I have always taken being about to 'eat around the world' within 5-10 miles of my house, it would be a hard adjustment to have to drive to a different town to get something as mundane as German food

Yesterday as I was walking to the pub to meet my friend for some drinks, I inadvertently walked into a day before Easter Ukrainian custom I know nothing about (my neighborhood has loads of Ukrainian Orthodox churches), I saw a lot of people very dressed up walking down the street with baskets covered in lace or fabric, some were decorated, does anyone know what was happening here? I loved watching everyone talk to each other (even if I didn't understand what they were saying) and walk around with those little baskets, it reminded me why I love living in such a diverse community.

edit: a quick google search indicates that it was a 'basket blessing' tradition, which would make sense being the number of churches that are in my neighborhood.
when I worked in NYC- something was always happening - St Patricks Cathedral; Korean, Irish, Japanese, Thai and Indian restaurants- on two blocks!. I miss that ALOT. Never realized how some places have NONE of these things. I guess its another thing everyone should take into account when they relocate.

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.