Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:01 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times

Advertisements

I recently visited Spokane Washington. This City has to be one of the Whitest cities in America. I saw very few ethnic minorities in the City or nearby suburbs. I thought the City was nice and very middle class. It reminded me of a place from the "good old days" It had kind of a old fashioned relaxed way about it. Though some would call it dull because there was limited ethnic diversity.

In 1960, 89% of America was White. (9% Black and 2% everything else). When I grew up in the Midwest in the 1950s and 60s I never saw any minorities, everyone was White. While life was not perfect, it seemed like people mixed better with each other back then because more people came from the similar backgrounds.

I now live in a City (Annandale VA) that is more like a United Nations. Our High School has people from over 50 different countries and there is some racial tension. I would not say there is alot of conflict but more isolation than when I grew up. So many people come from different ethnic backgrounds and speak English as their second language so they tend to only socialize with people from their own countries. Though exposure to people of varied backgrounds may have advantages.

I am not talking about liberal thinking or acceptance of gays, or people who chose an alternative lifestyle. I am talking about race (ethnic diversity) only. I think it is possible for a City like Spokane to be tolerant but not diverse but a City like Annandale to be ethically diverse but isolating and rigid.

What is a better type of community to live in, a place like Spokane, WA-- where most people are White, or Annandale VA where we have a United Nations of races and White people like me a now in a minority.??

Last edited by Dingler; 04-02-2007 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 07:20 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Smile It's truly up to your discretion!

I truly couldn't answer this one for you, as I've only lived in one city my entire life, but I'll do my best to chime in with a respectful reply. A word of caution though---this thread will probably eventually spark a lot of controversry and flaring tempers, so it may end up moved to the "Politics and Other Controversies" sub-forum in a few days.

I happen to live in the outskirts of Scranton, PA, which is right up there with Spokane, WA for being an "ultra-white" community (I believe we're right around 95% white, non-Hispanic). Life, overall, is very tranquil, peaceful, and serene around here. Overall though, I think the region could only benefit from more diversity, and I'm happy to see more African-Americans, gays/lesbians, Asian-Americans, and especially Hispanics moving into the region. I believe the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area now has the fastest-growing community of Hispanic homeowners out of the state's 14 major metropolitan areas, and we're noticing that around here as of late with the illegal immigration controversies occurring in Hazleton, as well as the recent proliferation of bilingual churches, real estate agencies, community college programs, etc. We're also noticing more gay-oriented establishments/organizations springing up in recent years, as well as a populace that's becoming more tolerant of people of differing sexual orientations. Unfortunately, the overwhelming percentage of the "straight white Christian men" in our area has created a social barrier so thick that many minorities have been struggling to be "let in." I can only hope that as Scranton continues to be annexed as NYC's newest exurban bedroom community in the upcoming years that our minority population will continue to blossom.

To address your question: This is up to you and you alone. I live in a predominantly white city, and our quality-of-life is outstanding with the exception of a slight "white power" attitude that still resonates around the region even though we're in the much more civilized year of
2007.However, I've spoken to college friends who hail from VERY diverse areas of the more immediate NYC area who also rave about how vibrant their former neighborhoods are. Do you feel comfortable around people of other backgrounds and cultures? If so, then there's no reason to choose Spokane (or Scranton for that matter) over any other more-diverse city. If you do have apprehensions about living beside those who are different, then may I respectfully inquire as to why? I highly-doubt that anyone on this forum could provide any scientific evidence showing that minorities are linked to a poorer quality-of-life to whites living nearby, and I challenge those who think they can to do so!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
I definitely would prefer a "Spokane" because frankly, I'm tired of much of what is going on in this country as far as ethnicities go. Besides, I don't like diversity in anything. Many think I'm "boring", but I like my life.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
"White like me"?

That's funny Dingler. As anyone who has read your other posts or who performs a simple keyword search can see, in many other of your posts, you claim to be black. I smell a troll....

Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Nice one, dullnboring. I was thinking something like this me-self!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
"White like me"?

That's funny Dingler. As anyone who has read your other posts or who performs a simple keyword search can see, in many other of your posts, you claim to be black. I smell a troll....

Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times
I am mixed race. I could be considered black or white. Though that is not really the issue of my posting.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Why does race even have to matter at all? Have we learned nothing from the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s or the current Gay Rights Movement about treating others the way you would like to be treated? I truly wish some of you would STOP with the "naive, little kid" comments in reference to me as well just because I am able to look past such superficial differences in a person to try to see their "big picture." I may be quite young, but I'm learning a tremendous deal about the levels of compassion in this nation (or lackthereof). I was robbed in high school by a WHITE kid, so those of you who attempt to stereotype African-Americans as being criminally-intentioned are off-the-wall. I'm best friends with an Asian-American who isn't a "math standout" by any means. I'm gay myself, and, lo and behold, NO AIDS! Why do Americans have to be so ethnocentric when so many nations are apparently "ahead of the curve" in this regard?

Minorities are here to stay. You can either learn to treat them in the same manner you'd treat any other white person, or you should leave our nation. Nobody should feel threatened, ostracized, cast out, etc. just because they weren't "lucky" enough to be born into the mainstream. It's racial issues like these (that dominate the political forums), that make me embarrassed to tell others I hail from the U.S. They must think we're all a bunch of hate-filled, spiteful, ethnocentrics when nothing could be further from the truth for most of us!

Old 04-02-2007, 11:01 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,203 times
[quote=dullnboring;525881]"White like me"?

That's funny Dingler. As anyone who has read your other posts or who performs a simple keyword search can see, in many other of your posts, you claim to be black. I smell a troll....[/QUOTE]

You are right Dull

He/She It is a Troll for the "Racial Diversity Police",

Stop! or I'll shoot racial diversity all over you.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:03 AM

Question Are you also Multi-Gendered...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I am mixed race. I could be considered black or white. Though that is not really the issue of my posting.

.................................................. ...................................

Old 04-02-2007, 11:09 AM

I like to Swim with My own school of fish: But we are "Tolerant and Loving" to the other Fish, accept for the sharks and jelly-fish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.