Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Tell that to the experts who conducted the numerous studies yielding the same results each year. Keep in mind many rentals in S. CT are pretty large homes which drastically drives up the rental price.
It is important to note that this survey goes by the entire metropolitan area. The way this was also conducted was using what minimum wage you needed to get into a 2-br rental. Anyone who has ever tried to look for an apartment in Manhattan knows that it's almost impossible to find a decent 2-BR when you are earning $70,000 a year. This is the baseline that the article mentions for the Stamford/Norwalk area.

While it is unlikely that the Southwest CT area would be, on average, more than NYC... the highest and most expensive parts of NYC would obviously be higher than anything in the Stamford/Norwalk area. But since we are talking about the area as a whole... crappy neighborhoods like ENY and Brownsville and all the other bad parts of NYC would bring the average way down. So I can see how the number for the Norwalk/Stamford area can be higher given this criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-of-nowhere View Post
It is important to note that this survey goes by the entire metropolitan area. The way this was also conducted was using what minimum wage you needed to get into a 2-br rental. Anyone who has ever tried to look for an apartment in Manhattan knows that it's almost impossible to find a decent 2-BR when you are earning $70,000 a year. This is the baseline that the article mentions for the Stamford/Norwalk area.

While it is unlikely that the Southwest CT area would be, on average, more than NYC... the highest and most expensive parts of NYC would obviously be higher than anything in the Stamford/Norwalk area. But since we are talking about the area as a whole... crappy neighborhoods like ENY and Brownsville and all the other bad parts of NYC would bring the average way down. So I can see how the number for the Norwalk/Stamford area can be higher given this criteria.
Eh...I disagree. Southwest CT (especially the burbs of Old Greenwich, Belle Haven, Darien, New Canaan, etc) has the same "old money" noticeable on the UES and UWS. The average home price in many FFC communities are in the millions, being so close to Manhattan. A large chunk of the population in these suburbs are former Manhattanites, as well. Though while prices may be similar (and in many areas, they are), you do get more space for your money outside of Manhattan.

All things considered, Stamford and Norwalk both have some really seedy areas which would bring down their average as well.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:53 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Tell that to the experts who conducted the numerous studies yielding the same results each year. Keep in mind many rentals in S. CT are pretty large homes which drastically drives up the rental price.

Same goes for Long Island. I looked up rental prices in SCT and they're still a little cheaper than Long Island and the city

Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,371 times
boston is about 1600-1800 for a mediocre 2 bedroom

Old 04-25-2009, 08:55 AM

200 posts, read 610,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Same goes for Long Island. I looked up rental prices in SCT and they're still a little cheaper than Long Island and the city
You can't just log onto craigslist or rent.com and compare rents. It is much more than that. Rents in So CT are much higher than Long Island, I promise, i lived there.

I don't think rents are worse than Manattan in CT, but if you exclude Manhattan then they are DEFINITELY the highest in the country. It is ridiculous here. I pay an astronomical amount to live in a middle class burb. We are having trouble affording it and are moving to the cheapest town in CT, which is still expensive because of Yale being closeby.

Not only rents in CT, but you have to look at house prices. We moved here with intent to buy a house for $225k. YEAH RIGHT! Most houses on the gold coast go for a million for an AVERAGE HOUSE! Major sticker and culture shock moving to Connecticut.

I'm leaving here. People are aloof and only care about what you do, your status in your carreer and how much money you have. Kids in the schools only care about what kind of car mom&dad bought you, and how expensive your clothes are. Pretentious enough?????

Last edited by Seattle's Best 28; 04-25-2009 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 04:14 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle's Best 28 View Post
You can't just log onto craigslist or rent.com and compare rents. It is much more than that. Rents in So CT are much higher than Long Island, I promise, i lived there.

I don't think rents are worse than Manattan in CT, but if you exclude Manhattan then they are DEFINITELY the highest in the country. It is ridiculous here. I pay an astronomical amount to live in a middle class burb. We are having trouble affording it and are moving to the cheapest town in CT, which is still expensive because of Yale being closeby.

Not only rents in CT, but you have to look at house prices. We moved here with intent to buy a house for $225k. YEAH RIGHT! Most houses on the gold coast go for a million for an AVERAGE HOUSE! Major sticker and culture shock moving to Connecticut.

I'm leaving here. People are aloof and only care about what you do, your status in your carreer and how much money you have. Kids in the schools only care about what kind of car mom&dad bought you, and how expensive your clothes are. Pretentious enough?????
You are making it seem like FFC represents all of CT. Not true. Move a little north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.