U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:11 PM

24 posts, read 98,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
The bay area gets very hot in the months you mentioned.
San Francisco is almost never hot and rarely gets a decent summer. East Bay and other areas of Bay Area do get very hot. Mark Twain quote:
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 PM

23,096 posts, read 35,044,432 times
Delray Beach, FL.

I love this artsy, vibrant community between West Palm Beach and Ft Lauderdale, FL. less than an hour from Miami.

www.delraybeach.com

Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM

202 posts, read 907,337 times
Hej!

Jag rekomenderar dig att flytta till Los Angeles eller Miami... bada staderna ar mycket vackra och har milda till varma vintrar! Gillar du nattklubbar, vackra strander osv rekomenderar jag Miami.
Miami ar aven mkt billigare an Los Angeles.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:14 AM

56,637 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Try the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia. It has Virginia Beach, a lot of history, it's big enough, but not too big and much more. Tidewater region of Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virginia Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau

Virginia Beach, VA - VaBeach.com - The #1 Tourism Website Since 1995!

Norfolk Convention & Visitors Bureau

Visit Hampton Roads Virginia

Hampton Roads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-18-2009, 01:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,050,128 times
Not to be a downer here, but the drinking age in the US is 21, and most bars and clubs won't let people under 21 in, so I don't think any place is going to have great nightlife for a 19 year old. Just saying. If you want nightlife, other countries would be better than the US.

That said, in the US, Florida and New Orleans are probably the best bets in terms of warm weather and fun for a young person.

California is nice too, but will probably be too expensive (and it does get sort of chilly in the winter).

Old 06-03-2009, 01:04 AM

579 posts, read 1,147,356 times
I would recommend Phoenix, Tempe, or Scottsdale in Arizona.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 AM

4,116 posts, read 2,795,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swecherrypie View Post
I am a young (19) Swedish girl (if age and nationality is of any importance) who is contemplating living in the U.S for approx. 4 months (August-January). Since I hate snow and crappy weather, Iím looking for a city with an agreeable climate, preferably a big/lively city. A great nightlife is important too, so do you guys have any suggestions for me? As long as I donít get killed or robbed every time a leave the house, crime rate is not very important. Good possibility to rent a cheap-ass apartment would be a plus. I also adore a heavy southern accent..heh. If I'm successful obtaining work visa, the possibility of getting temporary work is something to consider. Pole dancing, mowing lawns, walking dogs or whatever.

Iíve thought about:
Miami (I unfortunately donít speak a word Spanish)
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Diego
SF- bay area (seems a bit too expensive for me, and a tad bit too cold)
New Orleans (might be cold in the winter? Iím still in love with the city though)
Houston

Any suggestions or comments?
I would say definitely Miami or Las Vegas...

Have fun I wish I could go with you............LOL

Old 06-06-2010, 12:38 AM

13 posts, read 16,950 times
Miami or
Las Vegas

Old 06-06-2010, 03:38 AM

63 posts, read 147,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swecherrypie View Post
I am a young (19) Swedish girl (if age and nationality is of any importance) who is contemplating living in the U.S for approx. 4 months (August-January). Since I hate snow and crappy weather, I’m looking for a city with an agreeable climate, preferably a big/lively city. A great nightlife is important too, so do you guys have any suggestions for me? As long as I don’t get killed or robbed every time a leave the house, crime rate is not very important. Good possibility to rent a cheap-ass apartment would be a plus. I also adore a heavy southern accent..heh. If I'm successful obtaining work visa, the possibility of getting temporary work is something to consider. Pole dancing, mowing lawns, walking dogs or whatever.

I’ve thought about:
Miami (I unfortunately don’t speak a word Spanish)
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Diego
SF- bay area (seems a bit too expensive for me, and a tad bit too cold)
New Orleans (might be cold in the winter? I’m still in love with the city though)
Houston

Any suggestions or comments?

I used to live in New Orleans, and its thee best. it shouldnt be that cold in the winter, but last winter there was a cold snap and it got down to 19 degrees at one point. However, this cold snap was all over the south; temperatures in florida got below freezing too. the weather has been wonky everywhere... no way to predict what this winter has in store.

do you have a work visa? if you are serious about pole dancing, NOLA is a great city to strip in in the winter. but you need a social security card.

and be careful what neighborhood you live in. new orleans is a checkerboard city, and if you dont pay attention you could end up living in a rough part of town where you will get mugged when you leave your door.

also, in regards to the comment about you being under age: this really doenst matter in new orleans. ive been carded very rarely ( i am over 21 though, but in other cities i get carded everywhere). if you are in the touristy areas or the quarter you will get carded, but the best places to explore in new orleans are a lot more laid back and in general fairly lawless, they really dont care unless you appear to be 14 or some ****. and even then the bartender might be too drunk to notice .

have you considered austin? its warm and safe and very traveler friendly. and there seem to be a lot of odd jobs there; i have a lot of friends there who have found work who are from outside of the US and dont have a work visa. seems to be fairly easy to do.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,971,762 times
Las Vegas is your best choice, then LA or San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or